Norfolk, VA to Carrabelle, FL March-May 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that's a great idea! Another nugget to put in the poke. Thanks a lot.

I wonder, since I am a member, if I could do as well with TowboatUS?

re: Sea Tow or Boat US for ICW intel on shoaling areas or buoy problems.
Either or should work. I know for Sea Tow, they'll provide helpful info for members or non-members. They never asked.

Two weeks and counting

We depart home here in NWFL for Norfolk in a rental vehicle on 16 March to board the vessel. Have reviewed all the route info I can stuff in my brain and onto my Coastal Explorer, and all the checklists are fleshed out and ready to be checked as we collect the items we are taking or buying once there. Hopefully, the owner and friends will have the boat splashed and checked out in accordance with the sea trial list we ginned up. Hope to be underway 21-22 March.

In anticipation of a busy two-day turnover from owner to me, I want to have a peek at the engine manual. However, the manual is on the boat, and the owner does not know the model number. I have learned it is a 1998-1999 300 HP John Deere six, turbo, no computer. I am gong to look on boatdiesel.com to see if it is possible to divine the model and possible DL a manual, but if anybody has a clue, please send it along.

Last edited:
JD 6068SFM50 300 hp ? There is a 2002 manual on BD.

Good deal. Thanks so much!

We have had a hectic few days during this Chinese CV19 crisis driving up here to Norfolk from Panama City to deliver this boat back to FL. Got here at noon yesterday, and the owner and family who had been here for a week readying the boat for transit after a layup of 18 months were anxious to get loose and head home. The accelerated turnover, which included a short sea trial this morning, means we will depart Norfolk tomorrow AM into a sea of true uncertainty as we get word of marina closures due to CV19 fright. Luckily, we raided the Little Creek Navy commissary and exchange for necessities and now have enough food to last us a long time. At an estimated 3 GPH at 8 knots our 1/2 load of fuel at 1,000 gallons should see us through a lot of anchorages and maybe all the way home to Carrabelle, FL. Anyway, the admiral looks ready!

Attachments

• DSC02735.jpg
    DSC02735.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 92
Well at least she has on the right shirt!
Safe trip!
If you need anything, the air wing is fueled and ready to launch!

We have had a hectic few days during this Chinese CV19 crisis driving up here to Norfolk from Panama City to deliver this boat back to FL. Got here at noon yesterday, and the owner and family who had been here for a week readying the boat for transit after a layup of 18 months were anxious to get loose and head home. The accelerated turnover, which included a short sea trial this morning, means we will depart Norfolk tomorrow AM into a sea of true uncertainty as we get word of marina closures due to CV19 fright. Luckily, we raided the Little Creek Navy commissary and exchange for necessities and now have enough food to last us a long time. At an estimated 3 GPH at 8 knots our 1/2 load of fuel at 1,000 gallons should see us through a lot of anchorages and maybe all the way home to Carrabelle, FL. Anyway, the admiral looks ready!

Safe travels Rich!
Will probably see you along the way as I head North. Might want to consider a little add of fuel to eliminate that lingering question. New River Marina in Sneads Ferry, NC (MM 247) is down to $2.12 a gallon. As the commercial fishing fleet is still hard at work, their fuel turnover and price will match the crashing oil prices. By the time you get there, they will likely be under $2 per gallon and you should have a realistic idea of your burn rate and needs. Doubt you will find prices on the FL West coast as favorable when you get there.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. rg. I agree with Mr. OC. Not only for potential price savings BUT for the advantage of having it, just in case. Things seem to be closing down all over and you may have to put mileage on.

Thanks for both fuel comments. I sent the owner a note to see what he wants to do. 10 hours and 30 gallons used today, and he wants no less than 100 gallons in each 600 gallon saddle tank and the 800-gallon belly tank. Even with that reserve, I could see 1800 miles of travel on the useable fuel I have for this 1500-mile trip, BUT we may be hanging out running these two 24 KW generators on alternating days to let things ashore cool off. He was thinking of adding fuel later in the trip, but who knows now? He also told me that with all his and his kids' activities at a standstill he could have just as easily run the boat home himself but did not want to disappoint us for something we had planned for six months. Nice fellow. He and the kids may well come snatch the boat from us somewhere on the east coast of FL IF I let him know where we are! :) There are a few issues with electronics on here, and since I installed half of the electronics (MY part works fine) he knows I will piddle with the broke parts until I fix them; so maybe I'll just keep telling him I need to fix this that and the other thing. Only drifted aground once today in a low tide awaiting the Great Bridge lock. Amazing what a hydraulic bow thruster can do to engine in neutral, thruster engaged and the throttle hammered!!

We haven't yet been refused at a marina; maybe just lucky so far.

Diesel at New River Marina yesterday was $1.65/gal + 7% NC State sales tax.

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. rg. I like the "IF I let him know where we are!". Now that MAY be bordering on nasty. Bwahaha...

As I mentioned above, what may or may not be shut down in the near future is questionable although fuel supply has been deemed an essential service (so far) so you may be all right with availability regardless of any potential price increases.

As far as the owner taking over at some point, he may not be able to get into the area you happen to end up in AND you may not be able to travel through areas that have been shut down to get back to YOUR home.

Of course, I'm thinking worst case scenarios here but "Plan for the worst and hope for the best" MIGHT be worth considering...

In any case I wish you the very best in your travels. Stay safe, please.

We spent our first night of this journey tied up to the pilings of the defunct Pongo Ferry. Never saw less than ten feet of water at the ones facing the river. This heavy vessel never felt the winds and slight seas (very short fetch) pushing against it, but a lighter vessel would have been better off along the pilings in the adjacent slough 90 degrees to the river. Got u/w just as the morning calm changed to heavy NW and then NE winds for the Currituck Sound passage. Gave up on the weather and just slid into Coinjock Marina where we will stay for two days to let things calm down a bit. Took on 500 gallons of diesel to fill the belly tank. Now have 1400 aboard and will not concern ourselves with fuel again. Cold blowing rain from the NE. Glad to be in a heavy, warm boat just catching up on things. Will probably make about 50 miles south on Monday and end up anchored in the Pungo-Alligator River area that night.

What's the name of the boat? We'll watch for you...

Assuming (hoping) bridges will still be opening, we'll be aiming to cross the Albemarle Sound on Tuesday when forecast looks better... staging for that at either Alligator River Marina or at least Belhaven tomorrow. Staying put at River Dunes today, given weather forecasts.

-Chris

ELEOHN (Elena and John, the children). Crossing Albemarle tomorrow and probably anchoring that night.

Have a good transit. Looks like the marine forecast (AMZ230) for tomorrow has improved since I looked at it yesterday. We still won't get there 'til Tuesday, since it's a little snotty down here today, supposed to be better tomorrow.

-Chris

Am hoping for nice offshore weather someday ahead so we can blow by some of the AICW, especially GA.

It was a pleasure to "speak" the Ranger as Chris passed by heading north in the Alligator River today. We ended up in the small Belhaven Marina where we were told we were only the tenth boat to use their transit service this year. We saw maybe ten boats today, mostly sail and all headed north. Not encountering any issues with closed marinas. Everybody practicing best CV19 avoidance measures.

It was a pleasure to "speak" the Ranger as Chris passed by heading north in the Alligator River today. We ended up in the small Belhaven Marina where we were told we were only the tenth boat to use their transit service this year. We saw maybe ten boats today, mostly sail and all headed north. Not encountering any issues with closed marinas. Everybody practicing best CV19 avoidance measures.

Hey neighbor, I’m enjoying the apocalypse at anchor down in Goose Creek tonight. Looks like we’ll cross paths tomorrow sometime :flowers:

Yep, that was nice. Nice lookin' boat. Forgot to mention you'd be missing the fried chicken, since you bypassed Alligator River Marina. :)

We haven't seen many northbound boats, maybe 25-30 total since Fernandina. Places we've stayed have mostly said we'd be at the head of the northbound migration, as early as this... if there were to be a real migration given COVID-19 response.

-Chris

Last edited:
Hey neighbor, I’m enjoying the apocalypse at anchor down in Goose Creek tonight. Looks like we’ll cross paths tomorrow sometime :flowers:

And so we did this morning coming out and into Goose Creek. Nice chat, Dave, and here's the pic of the day. And, yes, it was really thoughty of you to arrange those fenders in such a unique and orderly manner for me. :)

Attachments

• DSC02794.jpg
    DSC02794.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 45
There were NO transient boats at Coinjock when we passed through yesterday. The bazillion-foot-long face dock was empty. Dunno if they'd have offered carry-out prime rib or not...

The Albemarle Sound was decent, and in accordance with the forecast. Currituck Sound, ditto. I actually don't like the latter all that much; long spans of relatively shallow channel surrounded by wide open expanse of too-shallow water...

Diesel at Top Rack Marina is $1.919/gal incl. tax for anyone interested in the area...

-Chris

FYI, passed by Fernandina yesterday on the way to the anchorage at Cumberland. It is currently open and taking transients on the docks and on balls. Still no fuel though.

Beach Marine in JAX Beach were replacing their fuel pumps but I heard yesterday that the work has been completed. Palm Cove Marina across the ICW are out of fuel and reporting a delivery is scheduled for Friday.

God's speed.

Ahoy Meaty! I tried to post this yesterday, but I’ve been in cellular pergatory. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance Sir Richard. I hope you and the admiral enjoy the rest of your free quarantine cruise!

https://youtu.be/wHQXHIWv8RQ

And so we did this morning coming out and into Goose Creek. Nice chat, Dave, and here's the pic of the day. And, yes, it was really thoughty of you to arrange those fenders in such a unique and orderly manner for me. :)

I thought it was already determined in other thread that on Sylphide at least, those were not "fenders", they were "boobies!":D

Beaufort, NC is shutting down except for essential travel. Homer Smith Marina employees may or may not be "essential travelers." Except for TP and hand sanitizer, Food Lion, accessed via the marina loaner car, was well enough stocked.

Marinas here in Wrightsville Beach all seem open with restaurants doing take out.

Less than a dozen northbound rec vessels seen daily. We are only southbound we have seen.

If you are in the "get there" mode and not into the tourista mode, there is really not too much CV19 impact as far as I can see.

Making about 60 miles a day at our sedate pace. The Lightkeeper Marina, a very extensive basin off the AICW, told us we were the last transient to be accepted during the virus crisis, and I had called to any number of marinas in the Little River area trying to find one accepting outsiders. Last night we had no trouble finding a marina here in Georgetown and a taxi ride to Walmart to stock up in case we have trouble getting ashore after Charleston, which place we are going today. The dock masters in the marinas are courteous and apologetic for not being able to do anything other than place a line around a cleat. They will not touch anything else like the shore power cable and requested we bring our own pen to sign the credit card receipt. Having been socially isolated since leaving home on 16 March to get to the boat and very isolated since, it is likely we are the virus-free persons, but of course neither we nor the marina staff want us to get infected and carry it to the next stop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom