View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
AlanT
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
The type of charter you are describing is a BareBoat Charter, I think it is quite unusual for a boat of that size and age to work out as a bareboat charter. I am guessing the boat you would purchase is not new, but maybe 20+ years old.

As the owner of an experienced 53' you will be aware of the need to manage engine temperatures, generator usage and charging, battery drain etc. etc. on our more experienced boats. I would be surprised if a random charterer would have this knowledge or worse, any desire to preserve the long term integrity of your engines and systems.

I am very familiar with the Bareboat charter business in the Caribbean. Those boats are used very hard, and despite professional maintenance, they plain get worn out in a few years needing complete refits/repowering.

It only takes one operator to ignore a mains temp gauge while goosing it to get to harbor to generate a $35k repair bill. Equally someone running your house batteries down to zero overnight can be a $6k bill if it happens more than a couple of times. What support will you be able to offer in the cruising area for the inevitable breakdowns, blocked heads, stuck anchors, jammed windlass etc?

You would also have to think how you will approve potential charterers, and most importantly you would need to satisfy your insurer that your prequalification requirements meet their standards. Insurance may be quite difficult to arrange and will be considerably more expensive than your current arrangements.

If this is something that you really want to do you should either get qualified as a commercial captain, or build in sufficient profit to hire a trusted commercial captain for your charters. One consistent knowledgeable person in charge of a boat he/she knows well is IMO essential to the success of such an operation.

All just my opinion. Good luck if you decide to go ahead! ~A.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote