Sea Magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I really enjoyed this publication. Sent a message to see if they are still around and this is what I received back:

Thomas,

Sea Magazine and Boating World Magazine are no longer being published by the Duncan McIntosh Company.

Sea Magazine’s last published issue was the December 2019 issue.

Boating World Magazine’s last published issue was the November/December 2019 issue.

We are currently looking for a buyer for both publications. If one or both publications are purchased, we expect the publication to continue, however at this time the Duncan McIntosh Company will not be publishing any new issues and not be sending any old issues.

If you would like a refund, please confirm your full mailing address and the amount paid on your last renewal/new order.

Best regards,

Dustin Nguyen
Circulation Manager
Duncan McIntosh Co. Inc.
18475 Bandilier Circle · Fountain Valley CA 92708
949.660.6150, ext. 255 · Fax: 949.660.6172
duncanmcintoshco.com

Bummer about Sea. I liked it,too.

It's been a tough slog for many publications that past few years. Now "this" happens. We just got off the phone with Bob Bitchin, discussing the state of publishing our next quarterly issue in these crazy times. Barnes & Noble is shutting down nationally (as are other book store chains). The distributor, who distributes hundreds of titles in addition to Latitudes & Attitudes, has indicated they will be 25-40% down from previous issues, as the outlets are just not there for the time being. We're fortunate that we just got picked up by Kroger and other big grocery store chains to the tune of 1,440 new outlets that should stay open as essential businesses. At this point, Obi-Wan Kenobi, that's our only hope...

We *think* we'll survive (as there are only five people that put together each issue), but it's gonna be super tight!

Here's a thought. People are upset with the amount of advertisement in each edition leading to fewer articles.
Maybe the publisher can publish a mag of just articles followed up by a mag of all advertisements, as part of the subscription.
With that agreement, those with a subscription can toss the ones with all advertisements, if they wanted.
I do suspect there will be more than a few subscribers who will keep a few of the ad mags for reference. Wishful SMILE

Last edited:
Here's a thought. People are upset with the amount of advertisement in each edition leading to fewer articles.
Maybe the publisher can publish a mag of just articles followed up by a mag of all advertisements, as part of the subscription.
With that agreement, those with a subscription can toss the ones with all advertisements, if they wanted.
I do suspect there will be more than a few subscribers who will keep a few of the ad mags for reference. Wishful SMILE

You know, that's actually an intriguing idea! I mean, publishers have been reinventing themselves to stay relevant in this changing environment, let alone survive. I wonder if something like that could work. Maybe make every other issue have ads. Because for most publications, no ads means no printing.

That's one reason why at Lats & Atts we are proud of the fact our advertising to content ratio is under 40%, sometimes as low as 33%. Most magazines average 60+% advertising...

The Sunday Papers moved to advertisement inserts, especially for their Sunday editions. For magazines, a pullout advertising booklet with specials and coupons might work. I have a subscription to Wired Magazine and they occasionally include a bundled ad or editorial booklet along with the print edition. In recent years, magazines have reduced their page count and also publish a digital version.

The Sunday Papers moved to advertisement inserts, especially for their Sunday editions. For magazines, a pullout advertising booklet with specials and coupons might work. I have a subscription to Wired Magazine and they occasionally include a bundled ad or editorial booklet along with the print edition. In recent years, magazines have reduced their page count and also publish a digital version.

The news papers started the inserts because they can preprint them during the week and then assemble them for the Sunday edition.

Yet women's magazines continue with 80 percent advertising!

Actually, many readers are interested in advertising to follow new product developments, especially with hobbies and styles.

A very successful model in the model railroad world and a better publication than the one magazine that has been around for decades and the bible of modelers is called Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine. This mag has been around for a while now and is very very successful, subscription is free. I think some like Sea should jump on this model and emulate it for the boating world.

Here is a link and even though you aren't interested in model railroading, just glance at it to see how substantial it is to get an idea of what I am talking about:

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/user/register

Yet women's magazines continue with 80 percent advertising!

Actually, many readers are interested in advertising to follow new product developments, especially with hobbies and styles.

That may be and that is why i suggested putting all the advertisements in a separate every other month mag.

Actually, many readers are interested in advertising to follow new product developments,
Count me amog them...I mean what would I spend my money on if I can't see what's new? :ermm:

I like Sea magazine because it was a west coast publication about the west coast and the PNW mostly. I found good advertisements etc. Miss it.

"I found good advertisements etc. Miss it."

Many folks need the adds to help them decide questions.

The adds pay for the magazine , he articles are just filler between the adds.

Tom, I'm another who misses Sea magazine, and for the reasons you mentioned.

I get a thick mag called Boats. It's a high gloss, nicely done mag for the uber wealthy who run around in those little mega-yachts with your choice of one or two helicopter pads. And $135,000 watches for me and $150,000 bracelets and other charms for the ladies and $5,000 foul weather jackets for both sexes.

Not sure why I'm on the list of who it's sent to but, hey, it's free so I don't gripe. Cheapskate that I am. :dance:

I'm with you Mike. I now get Power & Motoryacht

Old Dan, in the model railroad example I gave, the online magazine is excellent, better than the published one that is available. And the subscriptions are free. I have to admit I was very skeptical when this online magazine came out but it is flourishing, the written mag is not, it gets thinner and thinner, articles shorter and shorter.

But for Sea to work on line, I think it would have to be regionalized, much like there are regions here. So like the East Coast, West Coast, Gulph Coast and Interior waters is here at TF, the bulk of the magazine would be equivalent to "General Discussion." here. Obviously the advertising is what carries the on line free subscription. A lot of the articles would come from "free lancers."

I have subscribed to Sea for years and years. We even kept the subscription when we moved back to Michigan. Still enjoyed reading it. Hope it works out for them.

Hmmm, regionalize with the option to expand the viewing area?
There are articles I never read. They hold no interest to me.
I do believe that is the "Table of Contents"?
I read the "new boats" with the understanding, they are usually written by the manufacture, same way with the ads.
Example? There is a new boat designed, no need to mention their name, a long skinny trailerable outboard driven boat.... IMO the boat was released before the kinks were worked out. If we remember the write ups, this boat was better than sliced bread. (Review apparently written by the manufacture.) In reality, far from it. Since the first hull, the designers are slowly improving the boat's design and implementation of the design. They should have provided support and free upgrades to the first owner for they were the ones who identified the short comings of the design. In my mind, they should have met the new owner on the dock after every voyage, received the list of necessary and desired improvements and implemented them for free.

Nothing is worse than the feeling of abandonment after spending the big bucks. Make the owner happy and the 'word of mouth' will sell the future boats.

I shall conclude with the old saying, 'Believe nothing of what you read and half of what you see.'

Last edited:
Yee Haw! Got my first Sea Magazine today. Happy they are back.
Hmmm, regionalize with the option to expand the viewing area?
There are articles I never read. They hold no interest to me.
I do believe that is the "Table of Contents"?
I read the "new boats" with the understanding, they are usually written by the manufacture, same way with the ads.
Example? There is a new boat designed, no need to mention their name, a long skinny trailerable outboard driven boat.... IMO the boat was released before the kinks were worked out. If we remember the write ups, this boat was better than sliced bread. (Review apparently written by the manufacture.) In reality, far from it. Since the first hull, the designers are slowly improving the boat's design and implementation of the design. They should have provided support and free upgrades to the first owner for they were the ones who identified the short comings of the design. In my mind, they should have met the new owner on the dock after every voyage, received the list of necessary and desired improvements and implemented them for free.

Nothing is worse than the feeling of abandonment after spending the big bucks. Make the owner happy and the 'word of mouth' will sell the future boats.

I shall conclude with the old saying, 'Believe nothing of what you read and half of what you see.'
20200412_185343.jpeg

Mine arrived today! Welcome back! We're going to need this to help us get over "the situation". :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom