My Quarantine Cruise of 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Well, it looks like I've got a vessel that will provide for me over the next 2 weeks so I guess I'll be starting my Quarantine Cruise after the rains pass in Vallejo. I'm not really sure which way I'll head first...San Francisco Bay on an ebb or the California Delta on a flood. I'll let someone else decide. Either way, I'll be stocked and ready for salt or fresh, cool or warm, dry or humid, fishing or cruising.

All I know is that I'll have what I need when I leave. Hope the TP holds out.

Cheers from FlyWright!

Attachments

• flip2.jpg
    flip2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Cheers from FlyWright!

Only 6 rolls? I guess there will not be any women onboard?

After the TP & Tissues craze, comes the pasta & rice and canned veg and canned tomatoes craze, followed by the medications craze.

We have some extra toilet paper if you need some more, just stop by.

After the TP & Tissues craze, comes the pasta & rice and canned veg and canned tomatoes craze, followed by the medications craze.

Being from down under I understand why you forgot to insert GUNS and AMMO between tomatoes and meds..

HOLLYWOOD

Well, it looks like I've got a vessel that will provide for me over the next 2 weeks so I guess I'll be starting my Quarantine Cruise after the rains pass in Vallejo. I'm not really sure which way I'll head first...San Francisco Bay on an ebb or the California Delta on a flood. I'll let someone else decide. Either way, I'll be stocked and ready for salt or fresh, cool or warm, dry or humid, fishing or cruising.

Cheers from FlyWright![/QUOT
E]

In all this craziness I am a little envious of you and your travels to who knows where. Have fun.

Being from down under I understand why you forgot to insert GUNS and AMMO between tomatoes and meds..

HOLLYWOOD
I see how foods and TP get used, but guns & ammo? Maybe to shoot anyone approaching and displaying symptoms. Like waving a white handkerchief.:D

Cheers from FlyWright!

Al, perhaps you might escape San Francisc Bay and visit Drake's Bay, north along the coast?

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Well, it looks like I've got a vessel that will provide for me over the next 2 weeks so I guess I'll be starting my Quarantine Cruise after the rains pass in Vallejo. ...

Got fuel? Filled up my four tanks several months ago at Benicia (enough to reach Seattle, if I had a hankering - but don't), last cruise before taking the Coot to Richmond for overdue maintenance and repair. Questionable (?) whether Bay Area fuel docks will be open. I presume the Emeryville Marina still has self-service. It did in 2011 for the Coot's first re-fueling.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good use of time! By the way, if anyone needs it, as of a couple days ago, West Marine has toilet paper in stock to ship. Of course, it's the not so great marine stuff, but it's something.

A few weeks gunkholing in the Delta sounds sublime. We are very envious!

We are missing our big boat a lot; we were set up to be able to stay away from the dock for 30 days (which we did a few times) without special rationing and 45 or so with some water control, helped by a meter which precisely measured usage and what was left in the tank.
We'd have that thing out on the hook right now if we could, here in eastern NC where there are plenty of beautiful options within a day's cruise.

Have fun, we know you will!

A few weeks gunkholing in the Delta sounds sublime. We are very envious!

We are missing our big boat a lot; we were set up to be able to stay away from the dock for 30 days (which we did a few times) without special rationing and 45 or so with some water control, helped by a meter which precisely measured usage and what was left in the tank.
We'd have that thing out on the hook right now if we could, here in eastern NC where there are plenty of beautiful options within a day's cruise.

Have fun, we know you will!

You can take care of any water rationing with the installation of a water maker. Just 150 gpd water maker will take the strain off your water usage.
I still prefer a 12vt as opposed to a 120vt water maker but, that's just me.

And what should we have learned about this?
If you are running low on supplied ie TP, cleaning liquids, eggs, bread etc, dont be content to say, "I will get it next week." In this case, some, most of us discovered, next week just might be a 2 or 3 months away.

Thanks all! These are strange and historic times we're living in. I consider it a great blessing to have a boat to provide me with the shelter, quarantine and provisioning to help me through this. My signature means more today than when I wrote it long ago.

I'm sitting with half-full fuel tanks and will not be fueling in the SF Bay area. I'll pick up fuel in the Delta as I go, if needed. I've got enough for 250 NM plus reserves. I won't be heading out the gate either. I plan to remain in my comfort zone of the SF Bay and CA Delta for the duration. I have no need to go out into the wild blue yonder where all is unfamiliar and more challenging than the area I know best.

BruceK, let's stop the focus on personal protection weapons. It never leads to good conversations here. You do it your way and we'll do it our way...let's let it go at that, OK?

OldDan, a watermaker wouldn't work in the fresh waters CA Delta and is really not needed. There are plenty of places along the way to refill my water tank. I carry over 100 US Gal aboard and have lived comfortably on that for 2 weeks several times in the past...including daily showers.

Tomorrow afternoon's currents favor the CA Delta so that's where I'll start this adventure. I'll look into refueling and adding paper products when the opportunity arises. When I finish all the Delta (!!!), I can play in the Bay until we return to the "new normal".

I had no idea that my @DeltaBridges Project in 2019 to visit/photo 25 CA Delta bridges in 25 days would be a practice run for a global pandemic quarantine. I learned a lot from that trip and worked out a few wrinkles in the boat's electrical and fuel systems. My recently retuned props and the recent addition of an wired autopilot remote control (circa 1980's!!) came just in time for this Quarantine Cruise.

I'll try to post here and on my personal and @DeltaBridges Facebook pages as I go. Hope all are staying safe and healthy. My thoughts and prayers are with all of my TF brothers and sisters going through this pandemic alone. If you see me on the water, honk your horn and feel free to toss me a roll of single-ply TP as a gesture of support! :D

You can take care of any water rationing with the installation of a water maker. Just 150 gpd water maker will take the strain off your water usage.

I once had every intention of doing so, it would have been a very easy installation on our boat. I looked very hard and in a lot of detail at that and I could never get it to pencil out. Never regretted the decision.

For how infrequently I'd need it, I've yet to make the numbers for a watermaker make any sense either. However, those of us in fresh water have a budget option available (that I may put together at some point). A sequence of filters (including a 1 micron or so as a final filter) and then a UV sterilizer tube. That should be enough to turn fresh river / lake water into something drinkable for a lot less than the cost of a watermaker.

If you see me on the water, honk your horn and feel free to toss me a roll of single-ply TP as a gesture of support! :D

How about a roll of 2 ply and you can spend your free time separating the plies and you have twice as much.

How about a roll of 2 ply and you can spend your free time separating the plies and you have twice as much.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I've actually thought about how I'd do it if it came to that drastic point! And what about Kleenex tissues split into single ply? I might have to try Peggie's shaken water jar test.

I could always revert to that disgusting blowboater practice of bagging the paper to avoid flushing it. :eek::eek::eek:

I pray to the Good Lord above that that day never comes. :p

170 gal a day about $120...probably last practically forever.

http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-point-zerotwo-bucket-purifier-assembly-kit/

PS - Need to supply your own bucket.

Can't seem to get the link to work. Anyway Sawyer Products, .02 micron bucket filtration system.....

That's an even cheaper option. I was thinking of a few hundred $$$ for a setup with cartridge filters and a UV light. Only downside to that setup is that it's slow. The setups I was thinking of could be used with a pump to feed something like 5 - 6 gpm. Which means refilling my 65 gallon (too darn small) tank in something like 10 minutes.

I can carry 150 gal of fresh water..... Alone, I think I can make it last more than 2 week.... With a lady onboard also.... maybe a week.
Fuel.... 400 gal. I think I have about 300 gals onboard. With a careful 'move and drift' well over 2000 miles, maybe 3000 at VERY slow speed. Get out to the Gulf Stream and I can ride it, in theory, all the way beyond Canada..... Getting back.... LOL that's a totally different story.
Now, if I anchor out, the generator a couple hours a day to charge the batteries.... less than gal/hour.... 2 solar panels ..... let's hope for sun.
The menu..... although there are lots of canned goods, no meat onboard. The rest of the menu.... enough to keep me alive.... toilet paper... enough for me for a long while. You know that shower hose on a hose? No further comment. Innocent look.
If we remain healthy and are careful..... we an make it.

Now a question, if I declare "safe harbor" can I dock for fuel and call ahead for food to be delivered to the dock?

Al, just get a spare plastic tank for water (25, 50 75 gal, or larger) and keep it on your back deck. I was told our boat carried 200 gal of water, only to pleasantly discover the two monel tanks totaled 350 gal. That lasts the two of us several weeks, if we give it a thought and take shorter showers :thumb:
Take care on your cruise and keep us posted. God's speed.

200 gallons of water on board, 100 gallons of fuel, and two weeks of food. If I need to quarantine I’ll be fine. Presently I’m at the dock but Catalina a possible destination if I must truly quarantine.

I've completed provisioning FlyWright for my departure tomorrow. Here's a short video with a walkthrough. Once I lift the dink and motor, we'll be loaded and ready!

She's got everything I want and nothin' that I don't!

Last edited:

Cheers from FlyWright!

There are ALWAYS alternatives!:D

Attachments

• Toilet paper substitute.jpg
    Toilet paper substitute.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 60
Quarantine Cruise Day 1 (QC1):

Many who know me know I enjoy an occasional IPA beer as my standard adult drink of choice. While provisioning, I stocked the boat with a case of Corona beer...not to drink (yuk! ) but to give to others. I call it my 'One-a-day Giveaway'. I have 24 beers to share with one condition...I take your picture with the beer for this page. If I am isolated on an anchorage and don't see anyone else that day, I will take one for the team and drink one Corona at sunset for a photo.

After docking at the Rio Vista city dock during an approaching storm, I set off on a hunt for my first Corona victim. I didn't go more than 50 feet ashore when I saw a couple relaxing and enjoying the view and fresh air. After a brief and socially-distant introduction, Juan gladly took me up on my offer to be my first Corona victim. Say hi to Juan! Once accepted, Juan became my first QC Survivor!

The last photo is a shot of my new forward helm with my new to me AP remote, Navionics on the tablet, cellphone, speaker and binocs. Love the view without the need for a ladder.

Stay tuned for QC2 (Day 2)...

Attachments

• 20200325_171739.jpg
    20200325_171739.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200325_165236.jpg
    20200325_165236.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200325_180049.jpg
    20200325_180049.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200325_165241.jpg
    20200325_165241.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200319_164235_012.jpg
    20200319_164235_012.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 58

And if it all goes pear shaped you have another broken thing to try and find parts for.
(Postal/freight services here seem to have slowed up considerably)

Loving the simplicity of our 1300 gallon water tankage
Rain collection
And 52 gallon water bladder in the tender for top ups.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom