Paint hull on Mainship 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a matter of poor insulation. Not a problem with my steel hull with insulation. Fortunately, summers in SF Bay Area aren't so severe as s/se usa.

Don't think I quite agree.

I'm with RGano on this one. Dark colors absorb light (and heat), light or white does not nearly as much. That is simply physics. I had a friend with a boat with a sizable navy blue stripe. He claimed he could run his hand on the inside of the hull and feel where the blue stripe was by the heat change.

Dark hulls are more popular in colder climates. The sun is hell on the colored hulls in warmer climates, where they tend to fade quickly.

Hull Painting

I'm looking at a Mainship 400 that needs some hull repairs. Mostly scratches and dings from docking. I'm thinking of painting the hull dark blue as I've seen on other boats. Anybody done this and what was the cost?

I got the hull painted. Made some minor fiberglass repairs, primed with Awlcraft primer and 2 coats Awlcraft Flag Blue with a double white strip at the waterline. Came out great. $15k plus boat yard fee.

Also had the bottom painted at the same yard by the yard painter. All said and done total was just short of $20k.

About what I was expecting after getting 3 estimates in south Florida.

Downeast Maine they say "there are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white; only a fool would paint his black"

Nathanael Herreschoff stated "There are only two colors to paint a boat, White and Black. Only a fool would paint a boat black". In my mind dark blue is pretty close to black. I wouldn't do it. A friend painted his 47 foot sailboat black and it looked GREAT, for a few years. The hull gathered so much heat the paint started to spiderweb and crack, now he has a huge decision to make.

My Albin was getting really yellow. I painted it with Brightside Gloss White. I used the "roll and tip" process. I think it turned out well. I only wish I would have spent more time prepping the old surface. Live and learn. The cost was a few hundred for paint, brushes, rollers, tape and clean up.

pete

Downeast Maine they say "there are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white; only a fool would paint his black"

When you judge another you don't define them, it defines who you are.:dance:

When you judge another you don't define them, it defines who you are.:dance:

“There are only two colors to paint a boat, black or white, and only a fool would paint a boat black.”

— Nathanael Greene Herreshoff (1848 -1938)

I doubt Mr. Herreshoff cares. I think he has earned a right to his opinion regarding boats.

Can a wrap give the same absolutely seamless glossy appearance around all angles including the bow and both quarters as a clear-coated Awlcraft job and look that way for near as long?

Yes- the appearance is seamless and glossy. Certainly, the wrap doesn't have the depth of layers of clearcoat, but even after 3 years, we get stellar comments about the color, and almost always the "I can't believe it's a wrap" comment...

The life span of the wrap is around 10 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom