Contract accepted now what....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Byekurman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Seawood
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Thanks to you all for commenting on my first posting. All comments were of value and appreciated, well most...lol My offer was accepted, after one back and forth. Now the survey. I plan on being present for this task to help me learn about my new boat. Do you have any suggestions for me during my next phase? Thanks to you all for your input. I knew this site would be a great find.

Congrats, hope the survey goes well. Make sure that the surveyor is good with you being there and asking questions, or else look for a different surveyor.

All right ! Now time for pictures and information. If I remember right, the boat you are looking at had a Myanmar diesel with only 750 hours.

Congratulations, keep us posted

pete

All right ! Now time for pictures and information. If I remember right, the boat you are looking at had a Myanmar diesel with only 750 hours....

pete
A diesel branded after a country?

I hope you have 2 surveyors. One for the hull and the other for the engines and generator

Attached is a sea trial check list you may want to take a look at.

A few general rules (apologies if this is remedial)

1. Only have your your stakeholders (spouse) and advocates (surveyor) aboard for sea trial. Not a fun trip
2. Definitely have a mechanic inspect the machinery. It can be expensive if you get stuck with a repair, and the surveyor will typically only validate operation, but condition beyond visual
3. Brokers like to schedule the sea trial to be short and end at the yard for a haul. My opinion, best to break it up. Longer sea trial is better than a shorter one.
4. I couldn't quickly find a good article by Steve D'Antonio on Sea Trials, but spend some time on his website - really good info.

Congrats, and good luck.

Peter

View attachment SeaSkills Sea Trial Template 1[1].0.pdf

1. Research everywhere you can about your potential boat and model to learn any weaknesses or problem areas to watch for.
2. Be prepared to answer questions from the surveyor, such as: I found XXX, do you want me to continue?
3. Google search on the boat name and area for anything that may have made the news.
4. Try to figure out if the owner posts on forums and what their screen name is - then look for past posts describing problems.
5. If you have the time read "Mid-sized power boats" by Pascoe.
6. Don't let the selling broker influence the surveyor.
7. Talk privately with the surveyor(s) throughout the day and after the survey. You won't get the written reports for a few days, but it's good to capture their initial thoughts immediately.

A friend sold his boat last summer and was not able to be there for the survey. He asked me to represent him. The surveyor said absolutely no, he also would not let the buyer be there. I told him that the survey would not proceed unless I was on the boat. He finally said ok but do not bother him. I sat in the salon and as he worked I gave him some tips about the boat. By the end of the survey he was actively asking me questions about the boat. When he was done he said that he was glad that I was there but he usually didn’t like anyone on the boat. He also said it was the first boat in as long as he could remember that the halon was in date, I told him that if he checked my boat he would find it in date also.

Some surveyors don’t want anyone around others are fine with people there. I insist on being there on any boat I am buying. Make sure that the surveyor you choose is agreeable to your desires.

I'm mixed regarding my opinion of the objective of attending a Survey.

Yes, I like to attend the survey, and I encourage people to do so. However, I don't believe that is the appropriate time to have the surveyor 'Teach' you about the boat. They are there to do a very specific job. If they have comments about a particular system and you want to ask questions for clarification, that is fine.

I am not a fan of someone standing over the surveyors shoulder and getting a lesson on boat surveying and systems while he is trying to do his job.

Is this a private or broker sale? If brokered, DO NOT let the broker suggest a surveyor. Find your own diesel and boat guy. Get on the regional boards or Boat Diesel (or some such) and find someone that specifically knows your vessel/engines.

My .02

Back
Top Bottom