stuffing box packing materials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An alternative is plain teflon packing. Without the textile fabric fibres there is less chance of scoring shafts. I've been running almost dry for 2 years 600 miles per year temperature never gets over 95 at packing gland. Research the shaft scoring issue before you finalize.

Stuffing the stuffing box

The USCG has been using GFO for years. I’ve used it since a coastie gave me some in St Croix years ago.

I ordered and received the GFO and corkscrew. Having done this job several times w/ flax, are there any special issues to be aware of? Cut end at 45* angle? Screw the nut back till no drip or just a small drip? How many hours runtime till tighten up to no drip? 3 or 4 rings of packing?
Thanks

I ordered and received the GFO and corkscrew. Having done this job several times w/ flax, are there any special issues to be aware of? Cut end at 45* angle? Screw the nut back till no drip or just a small drip? How many hours runtime till tighten up to no drip? 3 or 4 rings of packing?
Thanks

When I did mine I just duplicated what was in there - 4 rings with the ends cut at a 45. As far as tightening goes, IMO its always better to work up to it because you can always tighten more but there's nothing pushing back to cause the material to relax if you tighten too much.

Ken

Duramax says run the boat 5 to 10 hours and tighten it slowly.

Leave the nut(s) loose until after you splash the boat, and then go SLOW. Hand tight and I was dripless at test another half turn after an hour run, and that's where we are today. It is really good stuff....gentle gentle and forever solved. PM

What is GFO? Jeez, people. If you're going to use an acronym, please be sure it's at least it's obvious from a previous post. Otherwise, don't use them except in your own post where you have already defined what it means. Basic journalism.

GFO is a type of packing made by Gore. I have never heard it referred to as anything other than GFO. I don’t know what else to call it... Maybe someone else knows something else to call it but I don’t.

Thank you. Well, let's just call it "Gore Packing Material", otherwise known as GFO. We're good. Is it teflon, Gore-tex or maybe something else? How do we compare apples to apples?

What is GFO? Jeez, people. If you're going to use an acronym, please be sure it's at least it's obvious from a previous post. Otherwise, don't use them except in your own post where you have already defined what it means. Basic journalism.

Google is your friend. There are more boaters than journalists here.

Thank you. Well, let's just call it "Gore Packing Material", otherwise known as GFO. We're good. Is it teflon, Gore-tex or maybe something else? How do we compare apples to apples?
How about we call it what the manufacturer calls it? GFO. It's trademarked.

You can buy other Gore packing material that is not GFO.

It is not Teflon (defunct name). Nor is it GoreTex. It is an ePTFE packing product similar to GoreTex manufactured by Gore.

There is a huge amount of different packing types for rotating shafts. That's why one should be specific.

See post 8.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the advice. Doing this job in the water is always a thrill though I’m not afraid of it anymore.
Mike

Gfo

Gulf Comanche there is a chart somewhere that will tell you what size to buy. The only caveat is to offset your cuts from each other. I put the first piece with the cut at 12 o’clock then continue to 3 o’clock for the second 6 o’clock for the third and finally 9 o’clock for the fourth. I’ve never had to put more than four pieces in any of my boats stuffing boxes. Just follow all the good advice that everyone has put out and you will have acquired another piece Good Old Boat Knowledge and experience.

How about we call it what the manufacturer calls it? GFO. It's trademarked.

You can buy other Gore packing material that is not GFO.

It is not Teflon (defunct name). Nor is it GoreTex. It is an ePTFE packing product similar to GoreTex manufactured by Gore.

There is a huge amount of different packing types for rotating shafts. That's why one should be specific.

See post 8.

But what about "basic journalism"? :banghead:

Count the amount of rings you remove and match that number. I accidentally used 4 rings and the original was 3. Both boxes ran hot until I pulled one ring out.

I just did the port side of mine and it had 6 layers. I was surprised but I put 6 back in it.

Our 90/90 uses 16 to 18 wraps , as the packing is also the bearing material.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom