Hey from Tassie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moreton Ray

Hey everyone, Hope you are all well. I found this forum this morning and immediately discovered some useful info on hydraulic steering which is my current challenge before the engines go back in. Am really keen to find out more about Markline history, and get Kaiaimar back purring like a kitten in the waters of Southern Tassie. Thank you in advance for providing all your input, hopefully I can help too!
Thx Ray

Naw... Photos are for amateurs... we want BIG blow up closeup pictures!!

Jus kidden!!

Welcome to TF

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Hey everyone, Hope you are all well. I found this forum this morning and immediately discovered some useful info on hydraulic steering which is my current challenge before the engines go back in. Am really keen to find out more about Markline history, and get Kaiaimar back purring like a kitten in the waters of Southern Tassie. Thank you in advance for providing all your input, hopefully I can help too!
Thx Ray
Hi, Moreton Ray. However, I note you're not in Moreton Bay, whereas I am. Anyway, welcome to the TF - nice to have another Aussie. Personally, I am a Kiwausie, so I can tell you your boat started life in NZ, built by MARKLINE INDUSTRIES AUCKLAND.

The Marklines are a well-established line of vessels, there also being an 800, through 850, 900, 1000, your 1100, the 1200, and 1300, the big brother to them all. Nice boat, and usually pretty fast. The Markline 1100 used to be my dream boat when I lived in Hawkes Bay, NZ. We moved to Brisbane in 1989.
Somewhat coincidentally, we just saw a friend off back to Hobart, Tasmania, this very morning.

Cheers, :)

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/?keywords=Markline%20Cruiser&match=all%20words&pge=1

Thanks Pete, I grew up in Southern Moreton Bay, so it’s close in my memories. I too loved the Markline back in the day, but as a teenager it was out of my budget. Had to wait to buy a 35yr old one

Hi Ray, as Peter mentioned, a popular big volumed boat in the late 80's and early 90's, locally in Tas it was the 900's and 1100's that most had. Being sterndrives in that size, shafts were in the bigger versions from memory, maintenance was the key. The boats are quite capable, and cruising the Tas coast and Bass Strait is well within their ability.
I've seen your boat around but can't remember which marina, Oyster Cove or MYCT?
Good luck with the rebuild, and as the others have said, be good to see some pics.

Pretty sure the Markline 1100 came in both sterndrive and shaft drive. Usually attached to Volvo 165 engines. Nice boats, there is one on most marinas, ours included. They carry their years well,not having teak decks helps.

Pretty sure the Markline 1100 came in both sterndrive and shaft drive. Usually attached to Volvo 165 engines. Nice boats, there is one on most marinas, ours included. They carry their years well,not having teak decks helps.

You would have seen many more than I, most were centred around Sydney. The four 1100's down here were SD.
The single, healthy 165 Volvo with the duo prop and trim tabs actually had the 900 up on the plane and going quite well.

Welcome.

BTW, my son is working hard to save your cancer ridden devil's!

I looked into Marklines... most [if not all] hulls seem to be "hog nosed" [down sweep prow, little flair; not up sweep, with strong outward flair]. That correct for all years and sizes?

Last edited:
I looked into Marklines... most [if not all] hulls seem to be "hog nosed" [down sweep prow, little flair; not up sweep, with strong outward flair]. That correct for all years and sizes?

The short production years were mainly late 80's from memory, and the design at the time was regarded as modern, similar to the smaller SeaRay flybridge models of the era, before the unfortunate "reverse sheer" look effected some of the sports boats of the US and Euro.
This sheer line is level, but the foredeck was raised for headroom and "shoulders" bought out to provide more internal space forward of the midship maximum beam, which most local builders did from then on.
This brand also introduced the full length intergrated cockpit hardtop as part of the boats overall look, which I thought was a great feature.

Last edited:
Another Markline 800 owner

Hi all,

Was reading the Markline thread with interest as it is hard to get much info on history.

I bought my 1982 800 Express many years ago and it has been out of the water for a long time while I tried to find time to get the required restoration done. Now that I am retired I am aiming for this season around November to get her back in the water.

I read somewhere that Markline were licensed to base the 800 on the Sea Ray 260 Sundancer and the similarities are uncanny.

Anyway looks like I have stumbled on a great forum and look forward to the conversations.

Hi all,

Was reading the Markline thread with interest as it is hard to get much info on history.

I bought my 1982 800 Express many years ago and it has been out of the water for a long time while I tried to find time to get the required restoration done. Now that I am retired I am aiming for this season around November to get her back in the water.

I read somewhere that Markline were licensed to base the 800 on the Sea Ray 260 Sundancer and the similarities are uncanny.

Anyway looks like I have stumbled on a great forum and look forward to the conversations.

Yes, from what I understood Markline built the SeaRay under licence for the Aust. NZ and Asian market, the 800 looks to have followed the SR with the reverse sheer, but the following 900, 1000, 1100 and 1300 Markline’s didn’t appear to, I assume more their own design.

Good luck with the 800’s restoration, sounds like you are pretty close with a Nov launch date.

Back
Top Bottom