American Marine 6404DF Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Burgess

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Callisto
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42’ Trawler
I was wondering if anyone has experience with locating parts for these babies.
My Engine speed drive sensor is acting up and I’m trying to find a replacement.
Ive checked with all the JD Dealers in my area with no luck, mainly because though they are John Deere engines they are actually converted Tractor Engines through American Marine, which John Deere doesn’t really support parts for. One of my engines has a newer pick up with a sticker on the top that reads 995/J
0904 if that means anything to anyone out there. It means nothing to John Deere Parts guys. These power plants are Awesome, smooth as silk and quiet.

How about checking with tractor dealers. I can't believe that tractor owners were left out in the cold by JD parts, but maybe there is no speed (rpm?) indicator on a tractor.

David

If your tachometer sensor looks like these ones they are made by the tachometer manufacturer not the engine maker. Check who made the tachometer and find a dealer for the tach. Adjustments.JPG

I have put in three pictures two are of the sender that has been replaced and the third is the older one that is faulty.
F69DF322-911C-4603-98D4-C4FED70C45C9.jpg

B7B6F079-D0BC-4C59-BB1E-08543D8EC9CA.jpg

DE99B6D7-251E-4502-87D8-E332AC5522EC.jpg

You can try Northern Lights. They marinized the same engine. They probably have something on the shelf that does the same job.

Make sure it is not your tach acting up. Tach senders on engines are pretty dang reliable, tachs not so much. Sender is just a rotating magnet and a coil. Check that drive pin is intact.

Hook up the sender acting goofy to the tach on the other engine and see if it reads right. Or vice-versa.

Technically I think they are called tachometer generator. Lots of mfr's and any should work if they fit. Might be variation in pole count, so be aware of that.

Back
Top Bottom