Found: cheap kk42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks it could be nice. Would be great if there were more pics . . . .

I can see this boat not far across the fairway from our boat. We are liveaboards. This boat has been there for at least three years. We passed by close aboard on Monday returning from a three-hour cruise. It was a nice day. Anyway, the decks are all teak. Can't tell anything more. Twins are rare in a KK42. That will be a plus or a minus to a particular buyer, a plus to me. Just a guess but this boat is likely to need most everything. And, those engines, well, they haven't been run in a long time, probably. I've always wondered what she is like inside. If I were in the market, I wouldn't pay more than $30,000. A very risky buy.
Looks it could be nice. Would be great if there were more pics . . . .

KKs are excellent boats as we all know. Guess it all depends on how much you want to bite off. It's more than I would be willing to pay and more than I would be willing to bite off.

pete

Here are some pictures I took today. I see some positives. Dinghy appears to be a nice one. Lifting davit appears to be strong. All windows have been replaced. Notice the aluminum frames.

Attachments

• KK1.jpg
    KK1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 293
  • KK2.jpg
    KK2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 295
  • KK3.jpg
    KK3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 270
  • KK4.jpg
    KK4.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 300
  • KK5.jpg
    KK5.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 290
  • KK6.jpg
    KK6.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 279
  • KK7.jpg
    KK7.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 278
  • KK8.jpg
    KK8.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 283
  • KK9.jpg
    KK9.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 265
The hull of this vintage KK is cored below the waterline. The condition of the coring and the amount of water in it would be a good thing to check pre-purchase.

The hull of this vintage KK is cored below the waterline. The condition of the coring and the amount of water in it would be a good thing to check pre-purchase.

That would be the deal killer IMO. Most anything else could be DIY fixed.

Not a deal killer at all....but a $40k deduct to handle it :)

Greetings,
Can't tell but those new windows look like they may have come from Home Despot.

RT,
zoom is your friend.. they are screw in aluminum frame units... RV units possibly.. but not house windows
HOLLYWOOD

Why is anybody surprised that this old FG boat is cheap?
I wouldn’t even be inclined to look past these pics.

As for anything else you get what you pay for... And if that guy is asking that price that means it does not worth half of it.
Windows, while supposedly new does not bring much confidence to me.
Wood finish outside is far from well maintained (at best) what for me means the remaining is pretty much the same.
Hull paint started to peel off.
Not many picture of what lies beneath... Well if I was to sell fast as written I would add many pics or there is something to hide. If windows were replaced maybe water leak damages. What about engines?

This could be a great project boat, for someone handy, who has time, and who would negotiate the price down to what it really worth meaning a lot lower.

L

IMHO $65k sounds in the ballpark.

Get it to Australia - sell it for 3x the coin.

IMHO $65k sounds in the ballpark.

Richard - I have never heard of a KK42 with twins. I see you're a KK42 guy, any sense of how many were done that way? I imaging twins i reduces the market appeal - thoughts? I know it limits appeal to the few Nordhavns that were done in twin-configs.

Just curious- not a buyer or looker. But like many, an admirer of KKs

Peter

The twins were given some thought as far as not being overpowered and not running the engines too lightly loaded (which hurts fuel efficiency). They're smaller than the typical single that a KK42 would have. 160 total hp compared to the Lehman 135 in Dauntless, for example.

The twins were given some thought as far as not being overpowered and not running the engines too lightly loaded (which hurts fuel efficiency). They're smaller than the typical single that a KK42 would have. 160 total hp compared to the Lehman 135 in Dauntless, for example.

Combined size is about right. Just wonder about market acceptance of twins in a KK42. Would seem to me that anyone looking at KK42s have bought into the concept of single-engine. There's another active thread where the subject boat (Marine Trader?) needs the starter replaced which is on outboard side of the engine. Access is extremely tight due to proximity of fuel tank. Rightly or mistakenly, I would think a KK buyer would have resolved to make the trade-off of redundancy/maneuverability vs single-engine benefits.

Willard Marine made many different boats, including a line of 65-foot twin engine motoryacht-style boats in the 1970s or so. But their trawler line is 100% single engine. I don't think you could give-away a twin Willard, for example. On the other hand, I suspect twin Nordhavn's are a bit slower to sell, but do okay in the market.

Just curious.

Peter

I agree, the market is probably smaller than for the single version. But to really know for sure what the tradeoffs are, I'd want to see the engine room layout and running gear layout. If it's got saddle tanks outboard of the engines and the keel doesn't provide enough prop protection, that likely kills a lot of the market. But if the props are tucked up tight enough relative to the keel, rudders are appropriately sized and the fuel tanks are placed so they don't overly restrict engine access, that would help a lot.

With so few FD trawlers available one would think they’d be expensive but I see little if any difference in prices. When we bought our trawler in 03 it seemed about the same in this regard ... and it still does.
But always as boats get older value and prices fall.

Don't forget that the best looking boat (IMO), the KK 58 were almost all, except one or two buit/ordered with twins.

6740264_20180608131257060_1_XLARGE.jpg

I looked at this boat a few years ago....
March of 2017. I couldn’t get off the boat fast enough due to the overwhelming odor of mildew Some night what to take this on, but couldn’t find any reason to take on a project of this scope
The rub rails are rotting off the boat. There are multiple leaks in the cabin area
Here are some interior photos

IMG_0184.jpgIMG_0198.jpgIMG_0196.jpgIMG_0081.jpgIMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0188.jpgIMG_0177.jpg
The engine room was rough as well. Some work had been done on one engine in order to start it.

Should read. “Some might want to.......”
Not Some night...

IIRC they made eight with twins. Always a shame to see a great vessel neglected beyond reasonable repair.

Really Painful to look at. Hard to believe that a KK of that vintage could literally be ready for the scrap yard. This one looks close, a real pity.

Maybe someone will pick it up and give it the love it needs. But $65,000 ! Crazy

pete

I was willing to give it that love Pete, actually I still am. I've been in negotiations with the seller before even joining this forum, mostly why I joined. I was previously going to upload pictures for advice but after a little research decided there was no need. I'll keep it short because I don't feel right discussing this boat while still communicating with the seller. It's gone as far as a survey. I'm 4 hours away from it so when I arrived the surveyor had time to look a few things over. Sadly I had no choice but to stop the survey to limit the full cost and avoid the haul out fee. I haven't walked away but did revise my offer and here we are, he's put it back on Craigslist while he thinks over my final offer.

The sad part is a boat priced as the KK was when new would fall apart from non maint.

One should be able to walk away for a year or two and have nothing but minor cosmetics to get underway.

The methods and techniques are well known , just many folks prefer glitter to a more thoughtful style of construction.

Back
Top Bottom