What things can you just not toss out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
We've had threads on where you are stingy and a bunch of other topics, but here's one we all are guilty of from time to time. What things do you own that you just find it impossible to toss out?

For me it's any kind of hardware--nuts, bolts, screws, etc. Saved me many trips to Lowe's over the years because I have two 60-bin cabinets with hardware.

Also, jackets. I have at least a dozen jackets from foul weather gear to hoodies to extreme cold weather gear, etc. Some are probably 15-20 years old and still in good shape, but I just can't toss em out because they're old.

OK, who's next. What can you just not bring yourself to pitch in the trash?

Tools, even if they are triplicates (or quintuplicates).

Line (unless it's truly hideous).

Original parts that I've removed (but saved for posterity).

Bronze anything.

Bits of lumber.

And....jackets. Never thought about it before but I appear to be similarly afflicted :eek:

Yup, tools, that’s my weakness, might have to get a bigger boat and bring the shop..

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. HAH! I don't think there's enough band width on TF for me to list. Like you, fittings, nuts, bolts, brackets and hardware, in general. As well: electrical wiring (22GA to 00GA), parts from stuff that broke and I scavenged bits and pieces (washing machine motor, vacuum cleaner hose(s), microwave transformers, fans and magnets, switches, knobs, rubber feet, sheet tin, pumps, plugs, pipes (copper, plastic, brass, steel) and associated fittings, yes, wood scraps as well...

My saintly spouse is constantly on my case to throw out all my "junk" and even if I am able to repair something of HERS with something I've saved, that doesn't seem to count. "Go out and buy it new" she says. Poor dear doesn't seem to realize that a 1600cc VW air cooled bus motor (single port head) just isn't available at the local NAPA any more as if it ever was (have 2, one of which is dual port head)

Don't give a hoot about jackets or any clothes in general. SHE throws them out for me and it's no loss in my mind. Shoes? Meh. On the other hand SHE is the Imelda Marcos of shoes. Must have 300 pairs AND our daughter is taking after her. But I digress...

Have made a dandy bench power supply (3.3v, 5v. 12v) from a saved computer power supply. Attempting to make a spot welder for body work from microwave transformer (almost there just can't seem to get enough penetration). Foundry/forge from furnace exhaust blower and truck brake drum. The list goes on.

Dock lines. :facepalm: I don't save frayed or worn out lines, but I have atleast 3 full sets, plus storm lines and extra long lines to tether between dolphins. Found some 1" braided lines with thimbles and loops in a surplus store. Have a vision of using it in storm preparation,...really? :mad:

Ted

Wood offcuts, even he smallest ones can be of some use to make pegs.
Screws if straights and not rusty, nails...
Any kind of glass/plastic container, use a lot to clean brushes, to contain all type of finish, or to mix epoxy.
Empty glass bottles that I use to mix my home made wiping varnish or shellac blends.
Old sheets, old cloth of any sort to make rags.
My wife, I cannot live without her lol

L

My wife, I cannot live without her lol

Second that one Lou. Great call

John

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. I'm constantly astonished MY wife doesn't toss me out. Of course, you've met me so it's gotta be my looks. Wait...WHAT???

200.webp

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. I'm constantly astonished MY wife doesn't toss me out. Of course, you've met me so it's gotta be my looks. Wait...WHAT???

200.webp
In all honesty and fellowship my dear Mr RTF, how would it be possible to toss such an animal!!! Lol :)

L

One thing I forgot...

Old panties, they are the most comfortable lol

L

Anything camping related, or outdoor like - zippos, knives, tools, flashlights, wood scrap from boat building.
If it's broken I have no problem sending it to the pile and throw it out. But if it can be repaired it's a keeper.

Hardware... screws, washers, etc.
Zip ties - the plastic cable tie-thingies. Absolutely drives the Mrs nuts but I will even pick them up in the parking lot and bring them home. But, hey, give me an adequate supply of zip ties and duct tape and I'll build you an MRI machine.
And somehow I acquired four bottles of Biobor JF. Honestly not sure how that happened.

My wife. Just too costly - though with the recent drop in my net worth it may be coming close to break even! :)

I just earlier today went through a large box of stuff that came with the boat. I discarded many o-rings and gaskets that I would have no hopee of figuring out what they go to. Plus, those damn things are likely brittle from age. About a yeat ago, I replaced a valve cover cork gasket with one that was on-board. Big mistake. It turned out to be nearly un-compressable and I ended up with a bigger leak, much bigger, than was with the old gasket. Frashnisnthe only way to gomlest younrisk doing double the work. I also threw away many hose clamps. Only those that were clearlynunused were retained.

Peter, I usually proof read all that I post. Missed this non-sensical sentence. Am totally unable to translate. I am not even able to figure out what I had in mind.
Aaaah, Catalina - you ok - not having a stroke are you..? Care to translate this bit..? :D

I can't throw away hardware, tools, wood (especially teak), scrap metal, good spare parts, and unspoiled food.

Back
Top Bottom