Live aboard marinas in RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ozark John

My youngest child is starting at university of Rhode Island in Kingston in the fall. I’m considering relocation for in-state tuition benefits and am looking for nearby live aboard marinas. Anybody with knowledge of the general area? Wickford Marina looks promising from web searches.

I have met folks who have done liveaboard at Wickford and thought it was great. The town itself is guaint and a cool place to walk around. I do not believe there are many options in the state so this would likely fit the bill.

From Wickford it is only a short cruise to some great anchorages once spring rolls around, Bissle Cove, Prudence Island and Dutch Harbor are go to spots for us. NEwport and Block Island are must stops too.

Have you checked on the residency time requirement? Many states require years of residency before granting in state tuition.

Ted

My youngest child is starting at university of Rhode Island in Kingston in the fall. I’m considering relocation for in-state tuition benefits and am looking for nearby live aboard marinas. Anybody with knowledge of the general area? Wickford Marina looks promising from web searches.

FWIW - I believe you need to have a qualified residential address for at least one year before you can apply for instate tuition rates.

Look in east Greenwich try Prime Marina about ten live aboards there now. Northeast winds would be only weather issue can get rocky. Wickford there are 3 marinas in really protected harbor. Pretty sure they all have live aboards Close to URI about 20 minute drive.

URI residency requirements

Residency requirement is one year prior to the first day of classes which one claims as a resident. Are there any issues with a live aboard marina as a residency?

I suggest you contact DMV to find out what is required for a new resident to get an enhanced driver's license, or what ever RI calls it. Also voter registration. And a bank account. And a billing address for insurance or something like that.

I've thrice since the formation of the department of homeland security been through establishing residency in a new location without home ownership or rental lease and getting mail through a post office.

First time I used my adult daughter's address.

Second time I use a private mail box, they allowed me to use their street address as my residential mail address. That allowed me to get bank acts etc. That made me a resident in the eyes of officials.

Last time I managed to get a voter registration online, then got an enhanced driver's license. The rest fell into place.

If your chosen marina will let you receive mail at their address and claim it as a residential mail address that will ease things.

Some will depend upon how automated RI's systems are. If it's mostly manual entry and things look OK you may not have too much trouble. If they use an automated system that flags business addresses as non residential you may run into problems.

Start early, be patient. Don't argue with the clerk in front of you try again another day or another office.

One thing I found that seems to help is to use a rural office. The clerks there seem to be more willing to help than urban clerks.

I've lived aboard off and on since the 70s. It used to be simple. But now it gets more challenging to establish myself each time as security gets tighter and tighter.

The New England season is so short, the concept of 'live-aboard' isn't the same here, since boats are only in the water 5-6 months. Between Columbus day and November, mosts boats are hauled.

Every marina I've ever been in has a few snow birds who are on the boat full time during the summer. We plan on doing it this summer.

Are you looking to be in the water on the boat year round? There are not a lot of marinas that are open year round.

I am not sure if this is the case with all of the marinas in the state that offer year round live aboard but from what I understand there is no pump out available so you are forced to walk the dock to use the facilities. Personally I would not want to do this at 3:30am in a sleet storm but to each their own.

I am not sure if this is the case with all of the marinas in the state that offer year round live aboard but from what I understand there is no pump out available so you are forced to walk the dock to use the facilities. Personally I would not want to do this at 3:30am in a sleet storm but to each their own.

This has been my experience as well. The water is turned off and winterized. The pump-out is turned off and winterized.

Our boating club is meeting on Saturday I will ask them for other marinas that may work. There may be one in Narragansett where the fishing fleet is and they may have working water and pump out

Our boating club is meeting on Saturday I will ask them for other marinas that may work. There may be one in Narragansett where the fishing fleet is and they may have working water and pump out

The docks where fishing boats are located are open year round. The water is shutoff and winterized. The pump-out is typically shut off and winterized. The electricity is on.

Those guys don't usually stay on the boat, however marina's that allow boats to stay in the water on the dock, usually keep the bathroom and showers open. Fishing boats discharge offshore.

I have a friend who lived aboard in RI for several years.
First several were in Wickford, don't remember the name of the marina but it was next to the DEP or whatever they are called in RI.
Water was off, but the residents ran a hose every Saturday morning so they could all fill their water tanks. Bathroom time slots were worked out for morning and evening routines. Don't know what happened when someone had the runs. He chopped ice from around his boat almost every day. (I think the marina paid for the power to run the circulators, but he was too cheap to buy 2 or 3 of them, hence he had to chop the ice. He also had to run heat tape around his water tank cause it was in the lazarette.
We spent a night aboard a couple of times and the cracking ice drove me crazy as did having to pee in a cup or run to the head on icy docks.
2nd place he wintered for a couple of years was QDNYC in Quonsett. That was a yacht club and I don't know the gory details of the daily lifestyle there.

Other things I remember about his winter living aboard:
Insulating the boat was a must do because of all the moisture from condensation.
He had to use 5 gallon jugs to fill his diesel tanks to run a diesel heating stove. That was in an old 34 Mainship. The second boat he wintered in (46 ft Durabeck) he installed a oil fired boiler and ran fin and tube (baseboard). That system worked well.
They had to use the truck of their car for a laundry basket because the dirty clothes stunk up the boat.
Those winter NE blows/blizzards really sucked.

It was a lot of work but he saved money.
Knowing what they put up with and the work involved it sounded not very exciting to me.

I think the marina in Providence (near the Hot Club, which is visible from 195) has liveaboards and they are 365 days a year.

Im not positive though.....But I do see those boats in the water all year round! Lol

Yuo are likely right about the marina near Hot Club, but of a hike to URI and has very few slips. Upside is you would be right downtown and within walking distance of shops and resteraunts

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom