The Great Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don'tcha Know?

Don't ya know?
It's not a Great Debate at all. This whole thing has been foisted upon us by the Russians to sow discord and division, and to cause tears in the social fabric of the USA.

It all started with that whole "Best Anchor" question during the Cold War.

Diabolical, those Russians...

I was happy that Sunday afternoon when going north up the St John past Bryant on Fleming Island that I had twins in my 36 GB when one started seriously vibrating. Took it to idle and went home. I really didn’t want to go in the river and see if I got a dinged prop or a crab pot or something else.

As many members have said it’s what you plan to do with the boat. In this boat I want to go up the east coast and down to the Bahamas and maybe fort Jefferson. Not going to Hawaii or across the pond. Done that in large Grey vessels and not what I plan for this one.

Twins are nice for maneuvering without the expense and complexity of thrusters. And I got my first ‘mostly‘ docking with one engine with this boat on Sunday. Glad the wind was calm.

That said for people who are reading this who do not yet have a boat. I Have two comments. Unless money is really no object. 1 Do a budget. Incremental cost on a twin is there and the less you do yourself the bigger it is. On an older used boat figure some rediculous percentage of the cost every year. 20%. 30%? Yeah really

Twin or single spend some quality time in the engine room. Even if you are not going to be changing pistons in a seaway, you MUST check oil and fuel filters every day you get underway. I lust after an engine room with better head room and outboard access every time I go there. If you really can’t fit or don’t want to go there rethink the entire trawler thing. Unless it really is going to be a boatominium and The Who cares about that stuff down there.

Oh another non engine engine failure, the admiral pulls you from the basement after you opened the top of the rancor and before you tightened it back down. And you have a senior moment and get underway.
Boy, I hate those senior moments!

We've all had those 'memorable docking events" that we'd rather not remember. (like that time I could have sworn I placed the port engine in neutral before leaving the helm...)

Sh1t happens, but it helps if your boat isn't shiny and perfect. In fact, I call my boat "comfortably imperfect" and that's just fine for me. My attitude is that every mark tells a story...and I remember many of them!

Yes sir. We got her little over a year ago. Let me figure out how to load pictures but I will. Mr Marshall’s signature is on the lower helm.

It's been written in blood that single is better for a cruising trawler. Marina hoppers may prefer twins. Thought that debate was over centuries ago.

It's been written in blood that single is better for a cruising trawler. Marina hoppers may prefer twins. Thought that debate was over centuries ago.

I'll put it this way:

In the beginning there was Adam - a single screw

Then came Eve - another screw

God proved hands down... two screws are better than one!

:dance: :dance:

I'll put it this way:

In the beginning there was Adam - a single screw

Then came Eve - another screw

God proved hands down... two screws are better than one!

:dance: :dance:
I am sorry I disagree, there was only one screwing Eve...

(Ok not very elegant I must admit)

L

Anyone with two screws is a lunatic! :hide::flowers::whistling::D:popcorn:

Anyone with two screws is a lunatic! :hide::flowers::whistling::D:popcorn:

I like to giddyup and go....so if they made my boat with a single 1000hp diesel, I would buy it. Until then....:rofl::rofl::blush:

I like to giddyup and go....so if they made my boat with a single 1000hp diesel, I would buy it. Until then....:rofl::rofl::blush:

Same story here. My hull runs way too nicely up on plane to limit it to only going slow. And a 700-ish hp single to replace my twins most likely wouldn't fit under the floor in the salon, so you'd have to give up performance, I think. Plus, I don't have saddle tanks for anything, so with a single I'd just have a bunch of empty space in the outer parts of the engine room...

Plus, I don't have saddle tanks for anything, so with a single I'd just have a bunch of empty space in the outer parts of the engine room...

The horror!!!!:angel: :rofl: ;)

I would imagine an engine room is like a woman's purse. It doesn't matter how big(or small) it is, we will find things to fill it up!!!

The horror!!!!:angel: :rofl: ;)

I would imagine an engine room is like a woman's purse. It doesn't matter how big(or small) it is, we will find things to fill it up!!!

OMG that makes my mind wander and big smile. Wink, Wink!!

Back
Top Bottom