New in Jacksonville Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jango

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dance Me
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
Hello everyone,
I’m close to start looking for a trawler. Its been a long journey 3+ years. I found TF an incredible source of great information that has helped in choosing what to start looking for. I’m about three months out, maybe less, depends on home sale and getting rid of current boat, motorcycles, garage crap etc.
I’m definitely going for full time liveaboard and travel north to south seasonally, islands included. Perhaps I’m dreaming and too much work. Regardless if it just turns out to long marina stays and shorter trips, I’m still in. Will have to see how things go and how adventurous or lazy I get lol.
Boats in mind 44 Defever or similar in design. I do like the 49RPH and 44+5 as well. 48 Hatteras Lrc perhaps but not many out there in my price range. I had a 34 Mainship MKIi for 10 years and caught the bug for trawlers. Unfortunately a hurricane took her away from me. Just running a 26 Trophy cabin cruiser to keep my feet wet but she’ll be up for sale in another month.

I look forward to hopefully meeting many of you in my future travels.

Welcome to TF. As the song goes, "if you don't have a dream...how're you gonna....etc?" :)

Thank you Pete & Pete. Anxious and exciting times for me since so close. I lose sleep over things that need doing to get there quick. What to part with and store. Amazing how much one can accumulate over the years and how things one may never have wanted to part with just goes in the donation box now. Value of stuff to sell drops significantly just to see them gone.

Menzies i live in Mandarin just south of 295 off San Jose. I keep my Trophy on Julington Creek. Where do you keep your Alaskan? Ortega?

Last edited:
My max will be around $200k although at that price I’d want stabilizers and ready to go. The Defever RPH 49 in Wilmington is on my list to see and has all that I’d want in a trawler. Hopefully it’s still available when I’m ready. The 44 in Brunswick is another option at a much lower price and has stabilizers. There’d be some additions I’d want on it but I would have the extra $$s to do that.

Last edited:
The DeFever in Wilmington is John and Suzie McCarley's boat. I was aboard Escape last year at a DeFever rendevous in Solomons Island. Escape is a very nice boat and I know the McCarleys have maintained their boat faithfully.
My max will be around $200k although at that price I’d want stabilizers and ready to go. The Defever RPH 49 in Wilmington is on my list to see and has all that I’d want in a trawler. Hopefully it’s still available when I’m ready. The 44 in Brunswick is another option at a much lower price and has stabilizers. There’d be some additions I’d want on it but I would have the extra $$s to do that.

I’ve looked the Escape video and pics over enough to see that it has been very well kept and in great condition. It’s a must see for me.

Menzies i live in Mandarin just south of 295 off San Jose. I keep my Trophy on Julington Creek. Where do you keep your Alaskan? Ortega?

Queens Harbour.

We're friends and have cruised with Escape's owners and been on her a number of times. Great vessel.

Welcome to TF, Jango. Your taste in boats is as good as your taste in boat forums! Best of luck with your search.

There's a 49 RPH at Ortega Landing... looks decent from the outside...

-Chris

After years of research and being the adventurous type I know I won't be one for coastal cruising all the time. I'll need to go off shore and the Defevers seem well built for the challenge. I've been messing with boats a good portion of my life and their roomy engine rooms make them very appealing since fairly handy on mechanical and electrical items. My first was a 1959 Chris Craft 27' dolphin nose cabin cruiser with twin 6 cylinder flatheads. I have simply messed with boats for years and enjoy them.

If you are in Jacksonville you might want to talk with Mike Webster @ Hansen Yacht Sales. He was the sellers broker when we bought our current boat and I was impressed with his integrity and with his service. He is at C dock at Lamb’s and has a number of boats there.

My max will be around $200k although at that price I’d want stabilizers and ready to go. .

Finding model in that size range under $200K won't be an issue in the early to mid 1980's vintage. Finding one "Ready to Go" will be another thing altogether.

Honestly, ANY 35-40 year old boat is going to need work done. Even 'Turn-Key' boats require upgrading of a variety of things. electronics, sanitation lines, hoses, bottom, canvas & isinglass, interior flooring, electrical systems, will most likely all need to be replaced/upgraded.

Turn-key: All of the above are present.

Reality: All of it is 35 years old and at the end of its duty cycle.

Shrew, I can’t argue that at all. But from what I’ve seen over the years towards the 200k price in that age many of the items you mentioned have been done. I’d want a boat that I can pull the lines and use safely then prioritize upgrades / repairs over time. Not a one fit the bill and lacked one thing or another. My ready to go statement could have been clarified better. On a boat that’s for sale it won’t surprise me I may need a bottom job or start batteries.
Defevers seem to have a cult following, built well and most cared for. Actually surprises me how well they’ve been cared for. Perhaps it’s just quality boats are worth the care. I best edit and state I don’t look at many other boats because I want high fuel capacity and not many other trawlers exceed 500 gallons unless over my price range. And I don’t doubt there are many great boats out there that are well cared for and upgraded / maintained.

Last edited:
I’m back

Fast forward 1 1/2 years later and I’m finally rounding the corner. Covid put a dead stop on plans but did give me time to improve on the house and dispose of stuff. Getting over $100K more for my home helped offset my frustration. I’ll now have funds for upgrades or repairs.
Homeless this past Monday and should finalize the purchase of a 1986 Defever 49 RPH next week. Its the one in Iuka MS. It has all that I hoped for and more having 1000 watt of solar. Shrew was more than right about needing things. Certainly dated interior and requires a thorough going thru as well as a few immediate needs. It’s been neglected for 2-3 years but look forward going through the systems. Not keen on a full size washer and dryer in the engine room but will sort it out a some point. I’ll certainly be more active on TF once I get on board permanently.

Back
Top Bottom