Charleston, SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve DuPree

Anyone on here live aboard in Charleston. Getting my plan together for a couple of years from now and living aboard for a couple of years until retirement is a thought. We would probably only be in Charleston for a little over half the year, so not really sure if just calling ourselves transient would be better.

Marinas often will determine whether a liveabord by the number of nights you stay aboard each month.

Many are pretty slack about exact numbers, but if you are fulltiming for six months...not so much.

A boat owner is required to pay substantial personal property tax if their boat is in South Carolina for more than six months.

A boat owner is required to pay substantial personal property tax if their boat is in South Carolina for more than six months.

Trust me I know all about the personal property taxes of South Carolina. Living here all my life has given me a great understanding. But I will not let that undermine our plans. Only 5 more years til retirement. We are just hoping to maybe move aboard a year or two early.

Couldn't you just go to Savannah for a few days to avoid the six month rule?

I am sure there are ways around it that we are not knowledgeable with yet, but we will surely be looking into all the possibilities as we get closer to purchasing.

If your in Charleston it would be easy enough to spending a couple of weekends looking at area marinas and asking questions. You will find that marinas allowing liveaboards are few and far between and the ones that do can get expensive in a hurry.

Tax and marinas

1) The 179 day rule does NOT apply to SC state residents; ONLY for non residents whose boats are in SC waters for > 179 days. You may know this already but others seem to be confused.

2) The Charleston marinas I know have limited live aboard slips particularly for rented slips. Currently, at Ashley marina for example, only slip OWNERS can live aboard. Renters cannot. I recall 2 weeks/month is the cut point for the designation but a phone call would clarify.

I searched pretty much everywhere to be a live aboard here. Ended up in Monck's Corner at Hidden Cove. It works for me for now but it is not a Marina. It is a dock with bad power and water and getting pretty decrepit. But no one really cares about what kind of work you do on the boat. It is a last ditch effort if you cant find anywhere else though.

Good yo know!

Back
Top Bottom