New in Virginia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

javelin911

Just joined and plan to get something in the next few years. Have a couple years to empty nest :)
When we lived in Burbank CA we had a boat we used between long beach and catalina quite a bit.
For trawler aspirations we plan reasonable size, maybe smaller to start and use on either NE or NW up and down the coast (NW most likely).
Once that has happened move on to more distant options.

Welcome aboard. Have fun in the search for a boat.

Welcome aboard as well. Best advice upon getting a boat is to USE IT! Good luck in your search.:dance:

Just joined and plan to get something in the next few years. Have a couple years to empty nest :)
When we lived in Burbank CA we had a boat we used between long beach and catalina quite a bit.
For trawler aspirations we plan reasonable size, maybe smaller to start and use on either NE or NW up and down the coast (NW most likely).
Once that has happened move on to more distant options.

Wifey B: You're a little all over the place, literally. :rofl:

VA, Burbank, NE, NW. I'd love to hear the rest of the story about where you intend to boat. :)

Wifey B: You're a little all over the place, literally. :rofl:

VA, Burbank, NE, NW. I'd love to hear the rest of the story about where you intend to boat. :)

Grand plans indeed. Trying to make sure I don’t over plan to start with and work my way into a problem :)

Welcome
I'm curious on what you consider a reasonable size, a very subjective subject

Welcome
I'm curious on what you consider a reasonable size, a very subjective subject

Very subjective, even for me.
If we start small, then probably 34-42 feet.
If we don’t, I want something 45-55 that is long range ocean quality.

Very subjective, even for me.
If we start small, then probably 34-42 feet.
If we don’t, I want something 45-55 that is long range ocean quality.

Love the look of Nordhavn. 55 is nice.
Again if I start on coastal only maybe something like a 42

Love the look of Nordhavn. 55 is nice.
Again if I start on coastal only maybe something like a 42

The hard part is exposure to variations and time around the boat(s) to solidify preference and get the wife comfortable.
And decide what is the best way forward

Welcome, also welcome to VA! You will find the bay awesome, lots of places to go, great anchorages, plenty of cruising, no rocks on the bottom but the water can be thin:) Weather is generally good except the humidity in mid June through September requires good AC setup, or you will be miserable. Sometimes thunderstorms can be nasty, and coastal storms keep an eye on. Glad to have you aboard!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom