Campobello Island and Lubec/Eastport, ME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Mischief Managed II
Vessel Make
1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
We are planning a 2 to 3 week cruise on the Maine coast this Summer. Initially, we never intended to go any further east than Bar Harbor, but I was looking at charts yesterday and realized we could do Bar Harbor to Campobello Island in a day with ease. The area has a bit of a draw because my maternal grandfather's family came from there and my great-grandfather was a tug boat captain in the area decades ago. I have been there before by car, but it's been more than 40 years and I do not recall much detail.

Based on active captain entries, not many people cruise beyond Bar Harbor and there is not a lot of cruising data to be found for the region. I'd love to read some anecdotes from folks that have cruised there. I'm open to all advice and recommendations. We like to anchor, have plenty of range, and are quite self-sufficient, so a lack of cruising amenities is not a problem.

Our cruising plan is to make time on the open ocean when weather permits and explore bays, inlets, coves, and rivers when the sea state is less than pleasant. Maine is ideal for that... We have already explored a ton of the Maine coast, so we know what to expect.

Mischief,

The trip up to Campobello is a good one. As you are approaching Fundy Bay the tidal current becomes more of an item of interest. We usually travel five or six hours with the tide and then stop while all that water goes the other way. An easy run from Mt. Dessert to Mistake Harbor or one of the other coves nearby in the Great Wass archipelago. It is fun to pick your way up to Jonesport although there is not much there anymore. Of course, Roque Island is a favorite stop and Cutler is a nice protected harbor with WiFi from the Library.

When you get to Campobello, go into Head Harbor and tie up to the pier and call customs. They will clear you by phone and if they want to see you, someone will come from the bridge by car. While you are cleared into Canada take a tour of Passamaquoddy Bay and stop at St. Anndrews. You can clear back in at Eastport by docking at one of the town docks and walking up to the customs office. The folks are there except when the ferry from St. Andrews comes in.

Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Mischief,

The trip up to Campobello is a good one. As you are approaching Fundy Bay the tidal current becomes more of an item of interest. We usually travel five or six hours with the tide and then stop while all that water goes the other way. An easy run from Mt. Dessert to Mistake Harbor or one of the other coves nearby in the Great Wass archipelago. It is fun to pick your way up to Jonesport although there is not much there anymore. Of course, Roque Island is a favorite stop and Cutler is a nice protected harbor with WiFi from the Library.

When you get to Campobello, go into Head Harbor and tie up to the pier and call customs. They will clear you by phone and if they want to see you, someone will come from the bridge by car. While you are cleared into Canada take a tour of Passamaquoddy Bay and stop at St. Anndrews. You can clear back in at Eastport by docking at one of the town docks and walking up to the customs office. The folks are there except when the ferry from St. Andrews comes in.

Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Thank you for all the great advice. Funny you mentioned St Andrews, I have family roots there too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom