looking for my fourth boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome! What have you found so far? What specific questions do you have or info gaps to fill?

When there is someone new and they are asking about boats, the first thing I look for is where they are located. (This is one of my favourite inside my head rants) Many seem to think that just listing there city is good enough, don't know why, this is an international forum. I could just list my home as Qualicum beach and just leave it at that, but I do know almost no one here knows where that is. I am writing this for the OP and any other newbies who have just joined.

The reason location is important to me is that boats are tools and one tool will often do a better job than another tool, or another version of the same tool might be better for the job - hence a boat is not a boat, is not a boat.

The same with just asking about AT 43.5. When I googled, I left the word boat out and I'm here to tell you apparently there is a role playing game called AT 43. A link would be great. And as the second post says, what questions and info?

AT43? You mean this NZ maker?

https://www.allantongsboatbuilders.co.nz/the-elite-at43

Or the American Tug 435?

https://www.americantugs.com/models/435/

If you like being able to read answers with good info, ask questions that include accurate details.

That and the search function here will no doubt lead you to a lot of good discussions related to the kind of boat you're seeking.

And if you're not familiar with forums, you can often use google to search within forums, sometimes with better results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=america+tug+435+site:https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums

Maybe he is a "mystery shopper" for American Tug???....;)

If it is American Tug you are talking about, they have a good reputation for being well built, good quality, and good after sales service (all of this in "general").
I own a Nordic Tug (American Tug was started by a group who left Nordic Tug and started their own company), and the American Tug is designed by the same original boat designer as the Nordic Tug (but they are slightly different hulls). When I was boat shopping, we seriously considered one particular American Tug, but some questions about that exact boat came up. I contacted American Tug directly and even though I did not own one (was only considering a used one) the support and info I received was very impressive!! Turns out that deal fell through due to the listing broker and the seller, and some issues with that particular boat that they did not want to address. This did not turn me off AT at all.
That's all I have but you can find more specific info by asking more directed questions here and by visiting the American Tug website.

Greetings,
Mr. 48. Qualicum beach? That's just outside Parksville isn't it?

200.webp

When there is someone new and they are asking about boats, the first thing I look for is where they are located. (This is one of my favourite inside my head rants) Many seem to think that just listing there city is good enough, don't know why, this is an international forum. I could just list my home as Qualicum beach and just leave it at that, but I do know almost no one here knows where that is. I am writing this for the OP and any other newbies who have just joined.

The reason location is important to me is that boats are tools and one tool will often do a better job than another tool, or another version of the same tool might be better for the job - hence a boat is not a boat, is not a boat.

The same with just asking about AT 43.5. When I googled, I left the word boat out and I'm here to tell you apparently there is a role playing game called AT 43. A link would be great. And as the second post says, what questions and info?
Dont mean to mislead any one just seeking info on the American Tug 43.5 (boat)
Thank you for the info

Mr. 48. Qualicum beach? That's just outside Parksville isn't it?

It would be one and the same, but if you really want to get technical, we are beside French Creek which is about to get really interesting as herring season is upon us and the marina and area will be like a carnival.

We need more info. Like what and where are you planning on cruising?

pete

AT43? You mean this NZ maker?

https://www.allantongsboatbuilders.co.nz/the-elite-at43

Or the American Tug 435?

https://www.americantugs.com/models/435/

If you like being able to read answers with good info, ask questions that include accurate details.

That and the search function here will no doubt lead you to a lot of good discussions related to the kind of boat you're seeking.

And if you're not familiar with forums, you can often use google to search within forums, sometimes with better results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=america+tug+435+site:https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums

Hey, give the guy a break. He’s asking for help, not to be the but of your not so clever sarcasm.

Welcome, Smoky.

Bobndoc: Smoky likely means well, but I can see why a respondent might chide a bit. I say that because of the "you get out what you put in" concept.

To answer in kind, we'd say "great boat, floats, roomy." Equal effort, but obviously not that helpful. Or, to be literal, we'd have to say everything we know about the boat, good, bad, and indifferent; features, design, etc. That'd be a book, and whomever typed it would be spending hours doing so.

Smoky, I'm not trying to discourage you! But maybe you can see how your question doesn't really help the good people here who do know about the AT (and there are many) to help you. If you put more into the question, then you will get more (and better) back.

Happy shopping.

Welcome, Smoky.

Bobndoc: Smoky likely means well, but I can see why a respondent might chide a bit. I say that because of the "you get out what you put in" concept.

To answer in kind, we'd say "great boat, floats, roomy." Equal effort, but obviously not that helpful. Or, to be literal, we'd have to say everything we know about the boat, good, bad, and indifferent; features, design, etc. That'd be a book, and whomever typed it would be spending hours doing so.

Smoky, I'm not trying to discourage you! But maybe you can see how your question doesn't really help the good people here who do know about the AT (and there are many) to help you. If you put more into the question, then you will get more (and better) back.

Happy shopping.

Hello and welcome SmokyIMG_1055.jpg
I’m not sure if the attachment will work. Back to your original question about American Tug 435 Notice there is no decimal point in the model number. The boat is basically the old AT 41.
A few years back Amer. Tug switched the model # designations over to reflect the overall lengths - the lengths marinas charge you for. Hence 34 became 365, etc. That said I don’t know what happened to the 49 to be reduced to 485. They claim the LOA is 49’7” and should probably be labeled 495.
I’m quite familiarize with the boats, having toured the factory in LaConner several times and talked boat building philosophy with Steve Scruggs the sales manager and all around major-
domo. They build strong, seaworthy, high quality boats. They impress me enough to give up my 2006 Symbol 45 and buy the 2015 AT 485 for sale in Jupiter, Fla. As I type it is being readied for loading tomorrow for shipment to Seattle via Victoria BC. This 485 (Brown Eyes) was built for the recently deceased owner of the American Tug franchise for southern Florida. It has low hours and a number of up grades including a 600hp Cummins engine, a 11.5 kw gen set, ABT TRAC Stabilizers, 800 gallon fuel tanks, a flying bridge with all duplicate controls,two solar panels, a water maker and a 13 ft Boston Whaler tender with a 40 hp Mercury outboard.
Sorry I got carried away, but I guess I’m a little excited. Smoky, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the AT 435 and I hope you’ll be as excited if you choose to get one. Bob

Back
Top Bottom