Night Vision?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Greetings Gents!

I cannot afford many thinks that I see in Nautical Magazines. Yet, I am sure that a night vision artifact as minimal as possible would significantly help me in the crowded little bays and marinas around here.

Do you guys have something surrounding the small "hundreds" to recommend? I have already a 35 year's old Steiner binocular.

Thanks

You might want to look for older "NVG's"....night vision goggles. Some are binocular and others are monocular. Old military surplus would be a good place to start.

I have an old Zenit monocular from Russia. I can see why they gave up.

I had heard that the old Gen 1s were bad as were the Russian stuff being sold worldwide (at least the inexpensive models.

While I never verified it...a rash of stories spread awhile back stemming from the claims of a US Air Force officer that studied the Russian technology and put out a warning of low level but still harmful radiation levels from the Russian tech. Like I said...I did NOT verify but it's worth looking into before purchasing.

I flew with the late 90s vintage US Gen 3s....AMAZING!!!!!

A search at Amazon.com for "night vision" brings up several items in your price-range - even when you filter the results for only those items actually sold by Amazon.

We were a boat last year that had Flir infrared night vision camera. The owner bought the camera out of a wrecked, very high end BMW. He mounted the camera on top of his remote control spot light and viewed it via a drop down automotive DVD player/screen. We were able to see birds sitting on the water at 200'. The detail was incredible. The system was still expensive but what a tool for night cruising in crowed areas.

Greetings Gents!

I cannot afford many thinks that I see in Nautical Magazines. Yet, I am sure that a night vision artifact as minimal as possible would significantly help me in the crowded little bays and marinas around here.

Do you guys have something surrounding the small "hundreds" to recommend? I have already a 35 year's old Steiner binocular.

Thanks

If you have radar, or better yet the new broad band which gives better detail, you may not need night vision. With out 30 mile radar set close up we can pick up birds buoys, so save the money and get radar first. If/when we take of I hope to having broad band radar as back up.

Which you proable alread know make sure the lights in the piot house a low and in back of you. We have a remote spot light on the roof of the pilot house.

I've been using the FLIR Mate for almost two years with terrific results. They are amazing devices, but definitely NOT a panacea...

- Perfect for scanning around a dark harbor. They show all vessels easily, including crab pots and buoys.

- perfect for MOB situations. The body heat off of someone in the water is incredible. You can pick someone up hundreds of feet away.

- you really can't use them (the handhelds) while cruising. Looking through the monocular in the dark really throws off ones depth perception and night vision (since you're viewing things that are now illuminated via the scope).

- they don't work in fog....

- in the summer, it's amazing how many objects absorb heat and subsequently show up on the FLIR. Boats, houses, trees, docks....you name it. It's a good and bad scenario, depending upon your situation.

- yes, they're expensive (a major disadvantage!), but they were a gift and I love them.

Bottom line: radar does all you need in most cases and more in some (fog). If I had to fork over the cash myself, I'd probably upgrade my radar to the latest greatest technology instead....

A good high mounted spot light does wonders in a dark marina.

A couple of hundred will get a great unit with mechanical control.

FF

Guys

Thank you very much for your help

Fernando

A good high mounted spot light does wonders in a dark marina.
Of course, it's also going to ruin the NV - and annoy - anyone caught in their beam, so please be extremely judicious in using any kind of spot light!

it's also going to ruin the NV -

Not if you close ONE eye, while the lamp is lit.

it's also going to ruin the NV -

Not if you close ONE eye, while the lamp is lit.
Good point - so before turning on the spotlight, announce on the loudhailer that everyone in the moorage should close one eye!

And if you're looking for transient moorage in a marina, you could even ask other skippers to honk their horn if there's an empty slip next to them, and then you can give an answering whistle signal back for acknowledgement.

I'm sure everyone will appreciate your ettiquete!

We have a FLIR first mate.

Not cheap, but very effective. It has become a "must have" for the boat.

so before turning on the spotlight, announce on the loudhailer that everyone in the moorage should close one eye!

Most of the docks I have paid to tie up to had LIGHTS!

No one inside the marina had "night vision" their TV is too bright.

I have millitary grade flip down night vision for driving and shooting, they paid for them selves twice already. Coming in the thru the reef channel at night, where radar would not help and coming in thru the back way into Plecencia, Belize with a half dozen WAFIs where anchored with no lights . I love them. BB

Back
Top Bottom