Mechanic bill dispute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Called mechanic to work on main engine and Gen. He started working on engine but couldn't get it running. He said needed parts for carb. worked on Gen but couldn't fix that either. He said Carb needed to be rebuilt. Total of 1 hr on boat. Came back another time to replace carb on Gen. That didn't fix it. 1/2 hr on boat. Replaced fuel lift pump on another visit, still wouldn't run. Said he needed to talk to Westerbeke to solve the problem. Another 45 mins. On main engine my neighbor came over and fixed the problem in less than 1 hr. What should I pay the mechanic that didn't fix anything?

Told Mechanic I was sending Gen Carb to another shop for repair; since he didn't know what was going on. I told him to send bill for what was owed. Received invoice for parts replaced, and 10 hrs of labor. How should I handle the payment since he didn't fix anything and is charging for 10 hrs of labor?

WHAT SHOLULD I DO?

Called mechanic to work on main engine and Gen. He started working on engine but couldn't get it running. He said needed parts for carb. worked on Gen but couldn't fix that either. He said Carb needed to be rebuilt. Total of 1 hr on boat. Came back another time to replace carb on Gen. That didn't fix it. 1/2 hr on boat. Replaced fuel lift pump on another visit, still wouldn't run. Said he needed to talk to Westerbeke to solve the problem. Another 45 mins. On main engine my neighbor came over and fixed the problem in less than 1 hr. What should I pay the mechanic that didn't fix anything?

Told Mechanic I was sending Gen Carb to another shop for repair; since he didn't know what was going on. I told him to send bill for what was owed. Received invoice for parts replaced, and 10 hrs of labor. How should I handle the payment since he didn't fix anything and is charging for 10 hrs of labor?

WHAT SHOLULD I DO?

You hired him. What does your contract with him say? I'm betting you don't have one, guessing he's a freelancer, found at a discount? Unfortunately, you pay for time and not results. All that really matters is did he spend 10 hours. You selected him, you determined his qualifications for the job.

I agree with BandB however call and talk to him about the amount of time and travel. If that doesn't work, the pay him. Most marine techs here in Portland is over $100 an hour and rely on word of mouth to generate business. If he isn't that good his reputation will kill him off.

Last edited:
Not an unknown technique in automotive field. Just keep replacing until it finally works. No solutions that I know of. If you don't pay he can haul you into small claims court. May result in a reduction, maybe not. Lot of aggravation.

If you are sure of his hours, send him an appropriate amount with an itemized explanation. He may just accept it and move on.

He replaced a lift pump, he replaced a carburetor, and spent some time troubleshooting. All of this labor includes travel time. I suspect he has a minimum number of billable hours. Even if his mini is 1 hr, anything under 1 hr. gets billed as 1 hr. He is more than likely based on the 'book' time.

You get billed on parts and labor not 'fixed/no fixed'. It'll be hard to refute the billable hours.

If he files a mechanics lien you are screwed. If you go to court you will probably lose since he DID come to your boat and he DID replace parts. Chalk it up to experience and pay him. If you want: offer 75% and see if he will accept it.
This is why the cheapest tech is often the most expensive and the most expensive service companies are often the cheapest. They may have a higher hourly rate, but they fix it the first time they come out.

Last edited:
When I've found myself in similar situations I approach the tech in a firm but respectful manner to explain why I think the bill is too high. I then ask for a break. Sometimes Ihave been asked what I think is fair. This approach usually results in a significant reduction. Good luck

If he files a mechanics lien you are screwed. If you go to court you will probably lose since he DID come to your boat and he DID replace parts. Chalk it up to experience and pay him. If you want: offer 75% and see if he will accept it.
This is why the cheapest tech is often the most expensive and the most expensive service companies are often the cheapest. They may have a higher hourly rate, but they fix it the first time they come out.

I looked a bit and in Louisiana he likely can't file a mechanic's lien unless there was a written contract giving him that right. The mechanic can sue in small claims and likely win.

It sounds as if you can document how much time he spent aboard, keep in mind it isn't unusual to charge an hour's labor for any part of an hour. Based on that it sounds as if he spent 3 hours (rounded up) on your boat. It's reasonable to assume he had to make some calls off the boat looking for parts, however 7 hours would seem excessive. I'd discuss this with him in a calm fashion. As others have said, reputable mechanics are sensitive about their reputations and it is possible that he'll compromise. However, you'll still be responsible to pay him for the time he spent. The fact he didn't fix the problem isn't really relevant.

I suspect he was charged travel time. that was not apparent in his post. itemization would make that apparent.

I would also guess that the carburetor that was rebuilt took some time at his shop or elsewhere and that these times reported by the OP were just him stepping on and off the boat best case.
It is quite easy to add up to 10 hours when considering acquiring parts, rebuilding carb and getting to and from both the boat and the parts.
YMMV

A mechanic should test parts before replacing and have a reason for replacing. Repair should start with fuel supply to delivery system. Mechanic is the most important word in this sentence. Of course this is for a standard repair, like my motor will not run, not an electrical short. A mechanic should have knowledge of basic electrical systems and have access to the unknown information. Mechanic vs i work on boats guy.

I would also guess that the carburetor that was rebuilt took some time at his shop or elsewhere and that these times reported by the OP were just him stepping on and off the boat best case.
It is quite easy to add up to 10 hours when considering acquiring parts, rebuilding carb and getting to and from both the boat and the parts.
YMMV

What am I missing? He worked on two diesels. What carburetor?

I thought they were a gas inboard and a gas generator. Westerbeke made both diesel and gasoline generators and may still do so.

I thought they were a gas inboard and a gas generator. Westerbeke made both diesel and gasoline generators and may still do so.

Possible, I suppose, but he seems to have a 45' Roughwater... I was unaware Westerbeake made gas engines!

Last edited:
He doesn't sound like a very good mechanic. Does he represent himself as a marine mechanic or just a car guy you convinced to come down and work on your boat? I'm thinking he was out of his realm and probably knows it. He will probably negotiate.

pete

When I've found myself in similar situations I approach the tech in a firm but respectful manner to explain why I think the bill is too high. I then ask for a break. Sometimes Ihave been asked what I think is fair. This approach usually results in a significant reduction. Good luck

I couldn’t agree more. Having spent many years in the service business I have given my share of discounts and / or no charges when we didn’t perform as expected. Courtesy and respect usually comes back at you.

The fact he didn't fix the problem isn't really relevant.

Huh? If I am paying a tech $100 or more an hour to troubleshoot and fix the issue is most certainly relevant! I don't believe in just THROWING PARTS at the issue and not fix it. If the tech charges me for a part that doesn't fix the issue, I don't pay for the part or labor.

A tech worth his wage can properly troubleshoot the issue, find the issue, fix it (including parts) and satisfy the customer at a fair price. You might pay more for an experienced tech, but worth it in the long run.

I just don't get those here that you should pay a tech for parts that did solve the problem.

He said. "Carb on gen set" why would you have gas Benny and diesel main. Maybe I am too presumptuous.

I believe he said both ...here is that first post again for other potential interpretations....

"Called mechanic to work on main engine and Gen. He started working on engine but couldn't get it running. He said needed parts for carb. worked on Gen but couldn't fix that either. He said Carb needed to be rebuilt."

If he didn't work 10 hours then don't pay him for 10 hours. Unless a written estimate exists signed by you, it's hard for him to pitch anything more than a he said/she said case in small claims.

You hired him. What does your contract with him say? I'm betting you don't have one, guessing he's a freelancer, found at a discount? Unfortunately, you pay for time and not results. All that really matters is did he spend 10 hours. You selected him, you determined his qualifications for the job.

BandB I do not look for discounts or freelancer and I also do not know of anyone that writes a contract for general repairs. This shop has been in business for over 20 years. I do not agree about you pay for time and not results, if he did not know what was wrong just say so. That is my point he did not spend 10 hours on my job.

Back
Top Bottom