mvweebles
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Hey Mvweebles,

My boat was very heavily crazed. He took most of the hull and house all the way down to the glass. For whatever reason, he had to go into the gel on the flybridge, but not completely through it. The decks got sanded through many layers of paint, in some cases into, but not through, the gel, and in some cases into what appeared to be the 1st layer of paint.

He basically took it down until there were no traces of crazing or chalking, and built it up from there.

There was the occasional defect he filled with thickened epoxy before priming, but I had very little damage....just aging. When he did the occasion bit of damage repair, he overfilled it heavily and then sanded to shape.

I was really scares for a bit. After the sand/grind phase, the boat looked fit for the crusher. I felt like if he didn't finish the job, no one would. It really looked aweful.

I dont remember if he sanded between layers of primer or not. I assume he did.

He originally told me he was going to lay down 3 layers of primer and that sanding would make it the thickness of two, but I think he ended up doing an extra layer of primer most places. It was an off white high build primer.

After he was done priming, ibfelt there was hope. After the 1st layer of top coat, I was a little disappointed, the shine was inconsistent. Then he laid down that 2nd coat. And the boat looked factory new.

I was amazed they let him do that kind of work at the marina. But, he did and still does. He did as good a job atbdust control as one can do with disposable plastic tarps taped in various ways and a shop vac. But, it still was what it was.
Yikes! That's a lot of dust to do on a marina, especially one anywhere in California! My guys in ensenada started in the slip and did some surgery, but the marina put a stop to all work in slips so I moved to the yard. My paint job is $23k but had a ton of fiberglass work and a ton of fittings to remove - absolutely everything was removed including cleats. Also included non-skid which seems to always be quoted extra. On top of that, I had my caprails encapsulated with fiberglass so I would have zero exposed wood (about $2k extra for hull and flybridge). I too had some very old chalky and crazing gelcoat that had actually worn through to fiberglass in some places. 50-years is a long time for a boat to be floating.

Sounds like you got a great paint job. Much more thorough than other in-slip paint jobs I've seen. If you have that type of work available, there is absolutely no reason to head to Mexico. Labor is cheap in Mexico, and I am pretty happy, but it's sort of a pain to get there and while only 70 miles south of San Diego, getting large parts in can be a nuisance.

Thanks. Appreciate the exchange.

Peter.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote