Replace bimini cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtrawlerowner

Vessel Name
PartnerShip II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 400
Looking at a 400 that needs the bimini replaced. I want to enclose with zippered isinglass. Anybody done this and what did you pay? Just looking for some idea of cost.

Lots !!

IMHO, don't enclose the flybridge. Maybe I'm claustrophobic but give me the open air . The Admiral likes the bimini up if it is very hot, sunny and bright but I can't abide isinglass.

pete

Our Stamoid Bimini and full enclosure came in around $6,000. We saved a little money by taking off the venturi windscreen, which is pretty much useless anyway, especially if you have an enclosure.

We also eliminated the smiley zippers on the aft panels and don't have a door. We left the door off to allow some ventilation, it's helped a lot.

After spending over $8k for various tops, enclosures, covers etc recently, we went and bought a Sailrite LSZ-1. Now we make that stuff for ourselves for a fraction of the cost (minus the initial cost of the machine of course).

You are probably looking at 6 to 8K for the enclosure. We do our own so it costs much much less. Demand Tenara thread so it will last the life of the canvas.

Lots !!

IMHO, don't enclose the flybridge. Maybe I'm claustrophobic but give me the open air . The Admiral likes the bimini up if it is very hot, sunny and bright but I can't abide isinglass.

pete

Funny you say that.
My ex (old 34 Mainship) had only a bimini top. When we finally had a full enclosure made I was pleasantly surprised that we got much more air moving thru the flybridge when the front panels were open than we did with an open bridge.

IMO it is basically, it is dependent on the size, material, features and most importantly, the very famous, "what ever the market will bare" and perhaps, boat owner's attitude.

We only have an upper helm so we have to have a full enclosure. But we have a full opening front and smiles on the sides and rear. We get plenty of air flow through the enclosure.

we just replaced ours on a 390 this year. $5800
John

Gioia Sails of New Jersey ((732) 901-6770) was the OEM supplier for most of the soft goods on Mainship, Silverton, etc. until the early 2000's when Mainship moved production to Florida and started using a local vendor (I believe in St Augustine). Then, Gioia eventually bought the Florida canvas shop.

I contacted Gioia as I had an excellent previous experience and Don Gioia met me at the boat in the Upper Chesapeake. He explained that the Florida company used paper patterns and as such they were in bad shape and couldn't be used. Consequently, he had to measure my 400 for the new bimini and side curtains, which he now has in his computer system.

They did an excellent job both on the canvas and curtains but they also made the weather cloths to go around the upper rail so our little dog couldn't accidentally slide off in a rough sea.

I have attached the actual invoice and a photo showing the boat after all the stuff was installed. The price included material and labor to come to the boat multiple times to measure and also to install using the existing support tubing. I imagine it would be cheaper if you installed yourself.

When I replaced the canvas on my old Silverton, they made the canvas and curtains from the computerized pattern and shipped it to me without the Lift-a-Dots installed. They lent me a tool and I installed the fasteners myself and it fit perfectly. Took me about an hour for the fasteners but for a smaller boat.

PS: The 10% discount was because I had them do the work over the winter, their slow season.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 117
Thank You gamrstro55. This is great information. I also need some headliner material. I'll be giving them a call.

Garmstro55,
A question about the side curtain openings. I see you have 1 on the port side. The same with starboard?
Also what does the front side panel look like?
1 as well?
I have nothing to work with other than a frame. Just curious.

Here's a shot of the front. I have the u-zippers on the front, back, and both sides. There is also a door in the back, about as wide as the aisle, that rolls up.

As an aside, I am in the process of re-making the window screens and the door screen out of Phifertex I bought from Sailrite. About $150 in materials and it takes me about an hour to make one from the measuring, marking, cutting and sewing.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 82
Here's a shot of the front. I have the u-zippers on the front, back, and both sides. There is also a door in the back, about as wide as the aisle, that rolls up.

As an aside, I am in the process of re-making the window screens and the door screen out of Phifertex I bought from Sailrite. About $150 in materials and it takes me about an hour to make one from the measuring, marking, cutting and sewing.

Garmstro,
Good info, thx!
I have the Phifertex on the sides and back of my Bimini and LOVE it! However, the thread in the zippers is failing. I'm going to have it resewn or replaced.
Can you give me some heads up on the process of measuring, and fabricating that? Would be a great winter project. I'm not much of a seamstress, but did sew a quilt when I was a kid....

Thx!

Mentioned the Phifertex above, but gonna replace the front panels with Polycarbonate or EZ 2CY (similar). Does anyone know how the Polycarbonate is attached to the fabric or how it's installed.

Haven't got pricing on the EZ 2CY product which I heard was EXPENSIVE, but the Polycarbonate is available locally here, VERY reasonable at $43.20 per sheet for a .040” x 48” x 96” sheet.

Seevee,

I was referring to the window screens on the lower windows and door...you don't seem to have them in your avatar picture. You can see them in my front view photo. If I understand, you want to make the weathercloth that wraps around the aft railings?

As far as making something any more complicated than a square or rectangle, I'm afraid I can't help on that! I had Gioia make it for me.

The thread to use that lasts forever is Tenara. Sailrite also markets a similar thread. We have EZ2CY front panels on our flybridge enclosure. It isn’t DIY. The poly panels are bonded to the canvas since it cannot be sewn. We make our own panels but I made patterns and sent them to a fabricator in New Jersey. He made the panels and shipped them to us. They fit perfectly and are wonderful to see thru. We had 7 panels made with the center 3 that hinge up for air flow. As I remember the 7 panels cost about $2400.

Thanks for the additional pictures. Lots of great stuff.

17K if you want to do it all as we did on our 390, all openings except drivers on Bridgedeck are screened. Great air flow and reduces windage.

The price on this stuff is also a regional thing. If there are few people in high demand, the prices are higher. Go a hundred miles where lots of people are doing it and the prices may be significantly lower. That is what I have found anyway. I bought a machine and do my own as well. We only have one helm and would not be without a full enclosure. We have roll up or down on all 4 sides and get lots of air when needed. Geography plays a big part in this as I see lots of boats in Florida with no enclosure. Doesn't work in the north.

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 51
I’m in SW Florida Bimini top is a must, side curtains I don’t think so too hot... and if it’s raining you can’t see through the plastic anyways. I do have a lower helm with heat, AC and windshield wipers if needed. A cockpit cover is good to save seats, dash from the sun and most rain.
I’m a former New England boater and a Full enclosure was enjoyable

I did my own using a machine and great utube instructions from Sailrite...never sewn before in my life but had a great time doing it. See the album on my profile page. Also saved a boat load of cash. Had a friend make the hardtop.

Enclosure

Looking at a 400 that needs the bimini replaced. I want to enclose with zippered isinglass. Anybody done this and what did you pay? Just looking for some idea of cost.

I replaced my complete Enclosure and got estimates from 7K to 13K. They all were using the same material except the Tenara thread. Use that thread it last a long time. Smiley faces w/o screens were in the 3 to 6 hundred range a piece. The isinglass comes in different weights and that can change the cost some. Every time you add a zipper it's about 100 or more dollars. If you add screens that will add some to each also.
Good luck and get estimates if possible.

Doug,

We are in your area for a few months on the Loop on a Mainship 400.
Can you proved me withthe company name that did your canvas?
Thanks,
Ken

Doug,

We are in your area for a few months on the Loop on a Mainship 400.
Can you proved me withthe company name that did your canvas?
Thanks,
Ken

Ken,
I haven't done it yet. I just purchased and closed last week. I took the boat to a boatyard in Stuart to have the bottom painted.

The shop I will probably use is Boca Canvas. Really nice husband and wife team. Joe and Terry. 561-756-5483.

Ken,
I haven't done it yet. I just purchased and closed last week. I took the boat to a boatyard in Stuart to have the bottom painted.

The shop I will probably use is Boca Canvas. Really nice husband and wife team. Joe and Terry. 561-756-5483.

Ken,
I have a favor of you. The 2003 Mainship I bought from the original owner doesn't have the port side bench and table just opposite the lower helm. He installed a power recliner.

The raised platform is there, but no table. I'll buy a pedestal and have a table built. Would you mind sending me the measurements of your table? I could also use several pictures of the table and bench. Both from the sides as well as the lower where the table attaches to the floor.
PM me and I'll send my email. You could upload onto Google Docs and share the address. Thank you in advance.

BTW need a dock to tie up in Delray Beach? I may be able to arrange a short stay at my condo slip. Its currently empty.

Ken,
I have a favor of you. The 2003 Mainship I bought from the original owner doesn't have the port side bench and table just opposite the lower helm. He installed a power recliner.

The raised platform is there, but no table. I'll buy a pedestal and have a table built. Would you mind sending me the measurements of your table? I could also use several pictures of the table and bench. Both from the sides as well as the lower where the table attaches to the floor.
PM me and I'll send my email. You could upload onto Google Docs and share the address. Thank you in advance.

BTW need a dock to tie up in Delray Beach? I may be able to arrange a short stay at my condo slip. Its currently empty.

So the PO took out the entire dinette table and bench? That's a pretty radical mod!

So the PO took out the entire dinette table and bench? That's a pretty radical mod!

He bought the boat new and suspect he had them build up the platform and not install the table.

I bought the boat from a dealer that took it on trade, so not sure how it came to be.

Here are a couple photos of the table.

Attachments

• IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF6974.jpg
    DSCF6974.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 31
I am not at boat. It is in Orange Beach and we are in Ohio. Pictures by Seventh Sojourn are exact. Hopefully he or someone on their boat can provide you the measurements.
Thanks
Ken

Back
Top Bottom