View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #20
Group9
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
It amazes me that anyone actually used a product called "sea foam" or "marvel mystery oil".
Reeks of quackery and snake oil to me.

Is there any actual science behind any of them?
Sea Foam has been around a long time. I've used it on my outboard motors a lot over the years, and it's pretty good at de-carboning the cylinders. I admit I don't understand the actual mechanics, but I have seen some pretty amazing results. The best was a Ford Galaxie I bought with a 351 Cleveland in it, that was knocking like crazy until I did the de-carboning thing with the Sea Foam. Instantly, no more knock. (The science behind that is that the carbon deposits can cause pre-ignition of the gasoline, which results in the knock, just as if you didn't have enough octane).

For at least that purpose, it works well, in my experience.

SEA FOAM HISTORY:

Sea Foam Sales Company was born with a focus on safe and effective products that help engines and equipment run cleaner and last longer.

The Sea Foam story began in the 1930s, when Fred Fandrei, a salesman in the petroleum industry, wanted to spend more time fishing than fixing his outboard motor because of fuel-related problems. With the goal of finding the perfect petroleum blend, Fred created a formula that would stop fuel from going bad and help his motor run better. The formula became quite popular among his fishing friends. He began selling it to local fishermen in beer bottles and quart jars, naming the formula “Sea Foam” after a friend in Florida called and asked for some of that “Sea Foam stuff.”

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is now one of the best-selling automotive additives in North America. Sea Foam products have attracted a passionate following as the proven choice for mechanics, vehicle enthusiasts, and all sorts of people who love or depend on engines.

We’ve grown since our humble beginnings, but our focus is still the same: safe products that are proven to work and keep engines and equipment running their best.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote