Hello from Montreal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeCanuck

Vessel Name
Cosinus
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
I've been sailing for a zillion years. My spouse, after tolerating sailing for some time, has been recently waking up in the middle of the night to hate sailing with passion! Since her lawyer is better than mine, I've decided to sell the sailboat and to join the dark side of the force...

We are now the happy owners of a twin Yanmar 2002 Mainship Pilot 34 that has tasted only fresh water... until now.

Looking forward to read words of wisdom on this forum!

Welcome. I think you should do the right thing by it and put it on a trailer and bring it over to the Best Coast and find out what cruising in paradise is really like.

Or you could kind of do half the loop and once you get to the Florida area carry on to the Panama Canal and come on up. Or you can put it on a ship which sinks, you drive your boat on, along with many others, the ship clears its ballast and rises, and your bring your boat up here.

This is where I used to live and across the water with this live cam, is where that ship came to from Florida to let the boats off and to collect boats and take them back to Florida in the fall:

https://www.deepcovekayak.com/live-cove-cam/

Bonjour.

Used to live in Preville, now annexed to St. Lambert where I went to Chambly High.

Sounds like a wise man and good decision making.
Welcome aboard TF
You are in an excellent cruising area and no need to go anywhere your boat can't take you.

Welcome Aboard. The Mainship has a lot more storage than a typical sailboat of similar size. Better grab some for tools and "Guy Stuff" before it all gets claimed for"frillies" and cooking stuff.

pete

Welcome. I think you should do the right thing by it and put it on a trailer and bring it over to the Best Coast and find out what cruising in paradise is really like.

https://www.deepcovekayak.com/live-cove-cam/

Bonjour.

Used to live in Preville, now annexed to St. Lambert where I went to Chambly High.

Nice view!

St-Lawrence River and Gulf of St-Lawrence aren't bad either! Still, your place is spectacular!

Welcome aboard :) ... from Montreal here too. Where do you plan to cruise next summer ?

Welcome aboard :) ... from Montreal here too. Where do you plan to cruise next summer ?

We would like to cruise the Saguenay River. The Rideau Canal/1000 Islands is also on our list. It will be a matter of time available. Our home port is in Trois-Rivieres.

Last edited:
Bienvenue a bord.
Lot of things to view, place to visit and so on.
Just with rivers and lakes from Montreal to Georgian Bay you will need 3 life to see everything!

L

We would like to cruise the Saguenay River. The Rideau Canal/1000 Islands is also on our list. It will be a matter of time available. Our home port is in Trois-Rivieres.

Welcome.

We did the Rideau in 2018. It was great. Ignore the depth on the charts for the Tay Canal (we never saw less than 5 feet) and make the side trip to Perth for a night or two. It's a beautiful town with very inexpensive transient slips. We were astounded by how unused the slips were while we were there at the height of Summer.

Bonjour,
Welcome aboard. We did the Saguenay about 15 years ago. GREAT trip. Whales galore. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Rideau Canal although not as many whales as the St. Lawrence.

Thank you all for your kind welcoming words! I've already started to enjoy the forum.

Welcome Joe, I am pretty new to this site as well. I looked at Mainships for well over two years but could never get myself to commit to one. One problem I had was going with a single engine or twin engine. I read so many articles on the benefits of twin, but then so many articles arguing how solid diesel engines are if you take care of them. I was leaning towards a single engine but insisted on it having at a minimum a bow thruster. After all that, I ran into Albula and the hunt for a boat was over. Albula is a single engine boat with a bow thruster. I am happy with it.
Look forward to interacting.
Tom

Welcome Joe, I am pretty new to this site as well. I looked at Mainships for well over two years but could never get myself to commit to one. One problem I had was going with a single engine or twin engine. I read so many articles on the benefits of twin, but then so many articles arguing how solid diesel engines are if you take care of them. I was leaning towards a single engine but insisted on it having at a minimum a bow thruster. After all that, I ran into Albula and the hunt for a boat was over. Albula is a single engine boat with a bow thruster. I am happy with it.
Look forward to interacting.
Tom

Tom, if both engines are sharing the same diesel tank (as is the case for the Mainship Pilot 34), the added security of having twin engines is diminished. Probably 85% of engine problems, while underway, are fuel related. In a sense, you may not have giving up much by choosing a boat with a single engine.

In my case, having been a sailor for most of the time, it is my first experience with a twin engine boat. After a few hours "playing" with the boat and its transmissions, I have started enjoying it.

It is still a new experience for me, but one that is truly enjoyable.

Welcome aboard. Great boat for cruising that area. There's a member here that has a near sister ship to yours based in Clayton or thereabouts who has traveled lots. You may want to do some searches here also if you haven't already. Lots of discussion on your boat in the archives.

Back
Top Bottom