The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope so! This is my hill, and I'm prepared to die on it! hahaha

lol

You're entirely too kind :flowers: Thank you!

I would very much enjoy that :thumb: I have to confess, when Bijou was listed for sale, I gave that ad more than a few long hard looks. If I could have afforded to make an offer, I would have. She's a great boat.

Oh really? I don’t even remember when I had it listed exactly. I think it was after our maiden trip to the Keys across the Gulf from Naples to KW, and we rolled around so bad I think I said F this and sort of gave up. I’m glad she didn’t sell, and I have to apologize to her now everytime I’m aboard.

She’s much better behaved now with her fancy (and new again!) sail rig.

Sulphide is fine looking boat, and I think she would be even more interesting with a decent sized mast and a couple of sails flying. You could be like this during your next storm.

IMG_7968.JPG

Last edited:
Dave, I do not know if you can always get away with an electronic version of the COLREGs , but I have heard of it being done. I am sure you know where to download them from.

I perform Vessel Safety Checks for the USCG and the USPS and the electronic Nav Rules are acceptable for this purpose, however I would also recommend carrying a paper copy for this reason: If you need to refer to the rules to identify a set of lights, sounds or day signals and if the phone/ipad/tablet or laptop is not available you will still have a ready backup source for the info. If you have to boot up your device, you might be too late.

I perform Vessel Safety Checks for the USCG and the USPS and the electronic Nav Rules are acceptable for this purpose, however I would also recommend carrying a paper copy for this reason: If you need to refer to the rules to identify a set of lights, sounds or day signals and if the phone/ipad/tablet or laptop is not available you will still have a ready backup source for the info. If you have to boot up your device, you might be too late.

A fair and valid point. Just the other day, my laptop was out of service, and my electronic copy would have been useless. A paper copy will be added to the collection at some point for sure.

Under normal circumstances, I'm already using my laptop for navigation, so it would most likely be more readily available than a book, which is likely stuck in a cabinet somewhere out of the way. Another nice feature of the PDF version is the search function. Rather than having to leaf through to find something, you type in 'day shape' and can scroll through every entry in seconds.

It'll be good to have both.

With a book, you can dog-ear the pages and highlight the important parts that you find important or hard to remember. If stored at the helm, it's within arm's reach for quick reference at a moment's notice.

With a book, you can dog-ear the pages and highlight the important parts that you find important or hard to remember. If stored at the helm, it's within arm's reach for quick reference at a moment's notice.
Right on, laptops hate being dog eared.:D

A fair and valid point. Just the other day, my laptop was out of service, and my electronic copy would have been useless. A paper copy will be added to the collection at some point for sure.

Under normal circumstances, I'm already using my laptop for navigation, so it would most likely be more readily available than a book, which is likely stuck in a cabinet somewhere out of the way. Another nice feature of the PDF version is the search function. Rather than having to leaf through to find something, you type in 'day shape' and can scroll through every entry in seconds.

You could download it to your phone if you have a smartphone.

Maybe I'll write a book someday or something.

Actually, my wife and I were talking about the idea of you doing that very thing just a couple of days ago. She's now hooked on your writing in this thread, too. Seriously, give it some thought.

John

I'll bet that was a talk to text glitch, LOL.

Whoops! Stupid auto correct!

But he has been having black water tank issues so...[emoji41]

Last edited:

I carry two identically configured laptops of trips anywhere out of my bay. The "spare" is very small.

I do have a bunch of highlighters that I haven't used lately.

Right on, laptops hate being dog eared.:D

Wait, what? Maybe that's what happened to my hard drive.

You could download it to your phone if you have a smartphone.

:thumb:

I'll bet that was a talk to text glitch, LOL.

It's okay, it's giving me some perspective on what it must be like to have a long Indian name like one of my friends, lol.

Actually, my wife and I were talking about the idea of you doing that very thing just a couple of days ago. She's now hooked on your writing in this thread, too. Seriously, give it some thought.

John

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Whoops! Stupid auto correct!

But he has been having black water tank issues so...[emoji41]

A sulfur smell would have been an improvement!

I also carry this one on board, it's more concise and easier to understand than the CG version which can be hard to decipher.

As a bonus it counts for purposes of having the rules aboard so it's really the only book you need.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 45
Howdy sports fans!

Shortly after the events of my last post, I found myself being jumped on by an unbelievably sweet and tiny dogbeast called Milo. I met this ferocious creature in the dock office at Harborwalk Marina, where I'd signed Sylphide and myself up for a two night stay.

In my initial planning, I hadn't put much thought into G'town, and had considered finding a place to anchor instead. I'm extremely glad I asked you fine folks first, as the consensus was something like 'no Dave, that's stupid,' and now this stop has become one of my favorites so far.

It's a small town, very much like the one I grew up in, but without the mittens, meth labs, and Seasonal Affective Disorder. It's entirely possible that there are cold and cranky people there, but I didn't meet any. In fact, the weather was so absolutely perfect while I was there, that it was nearly impossible to be anything other than content. It's a very pretty town, filled with beautiful old houses, covered by live oaks, which are themselves covered with Spanish moss. There's even an old timey clock tower, complete with a bell that tolls on the hour and half hour. It's amazing how much charm one old building like that can add to a town. It's the sort of place that an ignorant northern tourist like me hopes to find in the south.

I spent my time in Georgetown wandering the streets, snapping pictures every nine feet, and trying not to buy junk food and trinkets that I didn't need. I was mostly successful, but the regret I carried at not buying the 'Toe Jam' at Coinjock meant that when I was confronted with a small pot of 'Sweet Potato Butter,' there was zero chance I wasn't taking some with me. Turns out it's pretty tasty.

The one thing that I wasn't able to find was a haircut. I'd been looking for one since North Myrtle Beach, but the more than TEN places I called there were all booked for days, so I gave up. I figured it would be easier in a smaller town like Georgeburg, and I found a couple of places to try. The first one was supposed to be open according to Google, but wasn't. The second place should have been open according to both Google and the sign on the door, but also wasn't. I bravely decided to give up again, and instead of chopping them off, I took my overgrown Kudzu vine Diana Ross hair, and unruly Andy Rooney eyebrows out to dinner at the River Room.

As usual, I ended up staying about twice as long as I'd expected to. Day three rolled around, and I just didn't feel like leaving yet, so I didn't. Day four arrived, and while my feet had started to get itchy, the wind had other ideas. It was blowing steady in the high teens and low twenties, with regular gusts over 30, as it seems to want to do every few days this time of year. The wind was pinning me to the dock, and while the engine warmed up, I spent some time going over my options for departure, and fiddling with my lines. I talked myself into, and then out of leaving several times. In the end, I decided that I wasn't entirely confident that I'd be able to depart without taking a chunk out of the Fleming 65 in front of me, so I shut down the engine, reconnected the shore power, and forced myself to enjoy my lovely neighbors in this lovely town for another lovely day.

Lovely.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2606.jpg
    IMG_2606.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2612.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 40
Get back in there and get a pic of Milo!

Haircut? Haven't paid for one of those in years. Bought one of these and never looked back. Easy to use in a dry shower on the boat!

Haircut? Haven't paid for one of those in years. Bought one of these and never looked back. Easy to use in a dry shower on the boat!

ah...gives me a headache. I have one and about 3 months ago I forgot to put any guard on it. Realized just AFTER I'd put a big skunk stripe up the back of my head. Had the "bald" look for a couple weeks.

Dave, if you're still there and if you haven't seen it already, the Rice Museum in Georgetown gives an interesting insight into local history in the area...

-Chris

Last edited:
ah...gives me a headache. I have one and about 3 months ago I forgot to put any guard on it. Realized just AFTER I'd put a big skunk stripe up the back of my head. Had the "bald" look for a couple weeks.

Wifey B: You dudes are scaring my poor hubby. He had traumatic barber experiences when young and is in great fear of the wrong person cutting his hair. Also fear of the short haircuts so his hair has been longer than typical businessmen for decades, since before I met him. Great to run one's fingers through though, so thick and nice. Oh back to topic. Sorry, my mind wandered. I can't even imagine him with short hair. He's had all his haircuts done by either Alice or her wife, Rachel, for the last 20+ years. When we hired them to relocated from NC and run salons, part of the deal was even though they don't do a lot of hair now, they do his and mine. While he's in no danger of going bald, he's long pledged he'll never do so, he'll go to a wig before he will. Hair or lack of it and bad haircuts are a huge phobia for him. :ermm:

Get back in there and get a pic of Milo!

I know right! Alas, when I was in the office I didn't have my phone on me, which is the first time that's happened since 1978. I think Milo is only on duty during weekends, and I didn't see him again before I left.

I've thought several times about going down to nothing and going with a clean shave, but I don't think I have the head for it. Anyway, I really enjoy a good barbershop experience. All that hot towel, straight razor, hipsters in skinny jeans stuff makes me happy.

Dave, if you're still there and if you haven't seen it already, the Rice Museum in Georgetown gives an interesting insight into local history in the area...

-Chris

I had every intention of going in there, but never got around to it. I'll add that to the list of things I'm looking forward to next time, just after Milo

Wifey B: You dudes are scaring my poor hubby. He had traumatic barber experiences when young and is in great fear of the wrong person cutting his hair. Also fear of the short haircuts so his hair has been longer than typical businessmen for decades, since before I met him. Great to run one's fingers through though, so thick and nice. Oh back to topic. Sorry, my mind wandered. I can't even imagine him with short hair. He's had all his haircuts done by either Alice or her wife, Rachel, for the last 20+ years. When we hired them to relocated from NC and run salons, part of the deal was even though they don't do a lot of hair now, they do his and mine. While he's in no danger of going bald, he's long pledged he'll never do so, he'll go to a wig before he will. Hair or lack of it and bad haircuts are a huge phobia for him. :ermm:

Wifey B: That poor dude has no hair. :eek:

I know several people who have full heads of hair, but for some reason, buzz it all off. It makes me feel like a parched desert dweller, watching someone throw away a shopping cart full of half filled water bottles. I wish I could go back and tell my childhood self that I won't have all that hair forever, so get your hairstyle experimentation done now, while you can. Don't let your grandmother near your hair. She's going to say things like 'oh, its too thick,' and use 'thinnin' shears' on it.

Awful quiet out there. Too quiet!;)

Wifey B: He's in Canada and frozen. :rofl::rofl:

Ugh, it’s like 17 degrees here right now. [emoji31]?

I’ve been up to my nipples with work related travel and meetings and such for most of this week. I’m hoping that by this time next week, I’ll be back aboard Sylphide in a pair of shorts, trying to find new and exciting synonyms for the word pleasant.

Ugh, it’s like 17 degrees here right now. [emoji31]?

I’ve been up to my nipples with work related travel and meetings and such for most of this week. I’m hoping that by this time next week, I’ll be back aboard Sylphide in a pair of shorts, trying to find new and exciting synonyms for the word pleasant.

Wifey B: Oh Dave baby you are soooooooooooooooooooo hooked on this boating stuff now. Ain't it just wonderful. :D:D

17 degrees would definitely make your nipples hard. :)

I know many of us are very much hooked on, even addicted to, boating. However, Dave brought us all along and we got to see it happen and see a transformation in his life. It's been very special. The trip north just reinforced how much he's enjoying cruising on Sylphide. He's still got work but he's got something now to fill the rest of his time that he just loves and he also knows that when retirement comes he's got no problem figuring out how to enjoy it. :)

I'd encourage any new boater to read this entire story as we've seen, in his incredible style and humor, the purchase, the start of boating, pleasure with family, trip by himself and problems, solving those problems and learning to fully enjoy the lifestyle. We've seen him enjoy the places he's been and the time on the water. We've read many times, "I had planned on leaving but decided to stay another day." That's freedom. That's the freedom we should have with our time off work. We see a man who has really learned the secrets of enjoying life. It won't all be perfect, but he'll make the most of it. :socool:

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Wifey B: Well said!

Dave:
My favorite synonym for "pleasant" is "copacetic."

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Oh, hey. Long time no see. Sorry it took me a little while to get caught up. I've been right out straight for the last week. How are ya? How's your ankle doing? Better, I hope. You look nice today, by the way.

Anyhow, I'm glad I waited that extra lovely day at Georgetown. The next morning arrived with perfect cruising weather. It was flat calm, the sun was out, and the temperature was comfortable AF, as the kids say.

The worry I'd had about being able to get out and around the big 65 foot Fleming in front of me had been reduced significantly. This was mostly because there no longer was a big 65 foot Fleming in front of me. This taught me the valuable lesson that if you ever have a problem, you should always just ignore it, and it will go away all on it's own.

After filing my flight plan, and receiving clearance from the tower to taxi to the active runway, I rousted ol' Perkins, and sneaked out into Winyah Bay. I was in a winning mood that morning. I'd really enjoyed my stay, I was well rested, and I was reveling in the glorious weather. It felt great to be on the move again. My high spirits continued even after the sky clouded over and the wind picked up about half an hour after departure. It threatened to rain, but never did.

We caught a very fair current, and made cracking good time down through the cuts and wildlife reserves. We even broke our previous speed record, and saw a steady 10.5 knots for a while. I didn't get a picture to prove that, because the moment I would have thought to take that picture, turned out to be the same moment I realized that I would be arriving in McClellanville about an hour sooner than I expected, and that I'd need to slow down and get my ass in gear to get ready for arrival.

The entrance to Jeremy Creek is a skinny and shallow one, and with the work barge that was spudded down inside the entrance, and the ripping current, I had to point pretty far upstream to line it all up right, and shoot the gap. This was a lot more fun in Sylphide than it would have been at work. If I'd been in that situation on my other boat, some poo would have come out.

I was greeted at the Leland Oil dock by the very friendly dockmaster, and her sidekicks: a man that looked like Sam Elliot, and a three legged dog called Cinnamon. I was also greeted by my first swarm of noseeums.

The bloodthirsty bastards kept me inside most of the day, with one exception. In late afternoon, a small green sailboat made it's way in, and I went out to help Sam Elliot catch a line. I was immediately intrigued by the skipper of this craft. He was a single hander, and I guessed he was about my age. He was slight of frame, and bushy of beard. His blond dreadlocks were crowned with a black Greek fisherman's cap. I welcomed him to Gnat City, and let him get settled in.

I enjoyed a quiet night in with a movie, and caught up on some bloggery.

The next morning's forecast called for another day of gales, so I decided to stay for a second night. The wind came as promised, and kept the biting bastards at bay. This allowed me to actually go outside, where I found my new neighbor filling his water tanks. I struck up a conversation, and we aimed compliments at each other's boats. It didn't take long before we realized we enjoyed each other's company, and I invited him over for a tour of Sylphide. We ended up spending half the day talking about everything from our fathers, to our favorite Looney Tunes episodes, to the native Princes he'd befriended in the islands of the Pacific. We ate soup, and I told him about the people he reminded me of that I'd previously enjoyed knowing. It was a fine way to spend half a day, and I hope to do it again.

By this point in the trip, I'd realized that my original plan to get 'somewhere in Florida' probably wasn't going to pan out. The late start I'd gotten, and the slow progress I'd made, and the longer stops in more places than I'd expected, all meant that I was quite a bit 'behind schedule.' I put that in quotes because I really never had a schedule, which has been one of the best parts of the whole trip.

I decided that Charleston might be a pretty good place to call home for a while. I'd never been there before, and had always wanted to check it out. I'd known several people who'd liked it so much that they decided to move there. So I called ahead to find a place to call home for a month or so. I'd assumed I'd stay at the Charleston City Marina, it being the biggest outfit around, and so ideally located. They said they didn't have any room for me at the advertised monthly rate, but if I wanted to pay the full nightly transient fee of three thousand dollars per month, they had plenty of room for me, and I could stay as long as I liked!

I declined this generous offer, and made a reservation across the Cooper River at the Charleston Harbor Marina instead. It was less than half the price, and that would include use of all the resort's amenities, and I was really looking forward to it.

I departed McClellanville bright and early, so as to time my arrival at Charleston Harbor for slack tide, which is what they recommended. I'm glad I did, as I didn't have a ton of extra room when I made my way in. We got secured, and by mid afternoon, we were all paid up for a month, and had already made some friends on the dock. I'm very much looking forward to spending some time getting to know this place. I like it a lot already.

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

Hey, if anyone wants a cheap hydrofoil sailboat, there's one in McClellanville.

IMG_2654.jpg

All snuggled up at Charleston.

Wifey B: We love Charleston Harbor Marina. Not as convenient to some things but very peaceful and nice. :)

You will like it there. The marina has free shuttles to downtown and a morning run for groceries. Patriots Point museum entrance is right down the main dock. You can spend a whole day there easily. Enjoy.

Charleton Harbor seemed nice when we went to tour the Yorktown...

But if you get tired of that and want easier access to the downtown peninsula itself, you might check out The Harborage at Ashley Marina... just next door to the City Marina. Ashley is a condo marina, but they can sub-rent slips at monthly rates and they have a way to allow liveaboards for up to 3-month periods. Also shuttle to downtown including the Harris-Teeter grocery (and back), a nearby free bus route, etc.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom