need help in Palmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tugboater

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sojourn
I can’t stop. Binge watching Netflix is for amateurs. This site, links suggested by members & boat sales websites have me neglecting my “to do” list...BIG TIME. Snow blowing just moved up on the list[emoji53].
Joking aside, looking forward to finding our boat. Appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge, experiences & opinions! Thank you and hello.
Eric image-2020-02-19-07:45:05-978.jpg

thats the place! Palmer, AK

That just sounds cold and we live in Michigan. But I was able to do some work on the boat today. Replaced the transmission oil cooler and damper plate.

That just sounds cold and we live in Michigan. But I was able to do some work on the boat today. Replaced the transmission oil cooler and damper plate.

I'm guessing Michigan can get darn cold. It's more windy than cold where we are. It definitely boat working weather right now though.

Palmer is near Wasilla where you can see Russia from there. Don't believe me? Ask Sarah Palin.

When I lived in Eagle River (near Palmer) it seemed for the most part our Alaska winter was nicer than the ones in Chicago. Not much venturi effect from buildings like in Chicago.

Last edited:
Palmer is near Wasilla where you can see Russia from there. Don't believe me? Ask Sarah Palin.

Sarah Palin never said that. Tina fey said it on SNL mocking Sarah Palin.

I lived in Wasilla for many years (Knik Road, Settlers Bay). I remember when she was mayor she'd pull up in a minivan, slide open the van door and all kinds of junk would fall out. And she always had that really odd kind of Minnesota accent, yah you betcha, even though she never lived in Minnesota. Not sure how in the world she picked up that accent. And she couldn't even finish her term as governor. Seems to me you finish what you start. And I couldn't see Russia from my house, but I could see Pioneer Peak on a clear day.

My parents both moved here in the 50's from Minnesota, many a settler came from there. Growing up with two Minnesotans', all of us kids picked up some of the mannerisms and speech (defects) of our Minnesota kin. I am lifelong Alaskan, but am often asked if I am from Minnesota :)

So... To the OP from Palmer Alaska.

What kind off boat do you have?
Where do you keep it?

Several Tf members are ex-alaskans, and a few that still live here.

I’m in Seward tonight on my boat. Been in Alaska for 30 winters now. You have heard from Doug, who is a great guy that I share a cold one with from time to time. He parks his boat in the summers right across from mine. He has the prettiest Willard you could ever imagine. What a wonderful boat for a solo or a couple!

What do you have, or what are you dreaming of having?

Last edited:
So... To the OP from Palmer Alaska.

What kind off boat do you have?
Where do you keep it?

Several Tf members are ex-alaskans, and a few that still live here.

I’m in Seward tonight on my boat. Been in Alaska for 30 winters now. You have heard from Doug, who is a great guy that I share a cold one with from time to time. He parks his boat in the summers right across from mine. He has the prettiest Willard you could ever imagine. What a wonderful boat for a solo or a couple!

What do you have, or what are you dreaming of having?

Hi Kevin-

Been busy in Seward the last few days actually. We have a barge getting steel work done across the bay. It feels good to sit at my home desk with a cup of coffee. I get to log onto here instead of procrastinate.
Anyway...We don't own a boat yet. I am in shop mode right now & have been trying to soak up as much information and look at boats as much as possible before we pull the trigger. It will end up somewhere in the surrounding Seattle area. We have several boats on our want list, of which we will travel down to Seattle to see come mid March. I've already missed out on a couple that top our list because I'm too busy to get south until then. I have looked at a few of the boats for sale in Seward while I was there. Probably walked right by you! I'm a born Alaskan (pipeline baby) & know the coasts well. I've even seen Russia from Alaska...just not from my home:).

As for what we are dreaming of...I would really like to find an American made hull, suitable for a family of 4 with pets to stay on for long periods of time. We have three sons, but two are spreading their wings soon & won't spend much time with us. Our 11 yo will. For some reason I keep coming back to the Tollycraft boats in the 40-45' range. I've read several of your threads and comments about the Bayliners & have looked at a couple in Seward. The two down there I've checked out are pretty worn out though. There are a bunch in Seattle. Anyway, thanks for the note...I enjoy reading your contributions to the forum!

Back
Top Bottom