Military Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rondalw1

Vessel Name
WIXHAUSEN
Vessel Make
Jefferson 42
Has anyone had experience with Military Marinas on both coasts of Florida?

I am eligible but not have heard much about them.

Thanks

Patrick AFB, Really nice, club house on site, covered moorage to I believe 40' or so, max open moorage is 45' including swim step and anchor pulpit. Good security, must have gate key to get past club house.

Pensacola NAS, LOTS of open slips, I don't believe there is a real limit on size, but must live within 100 miles in order to get monthly or longer slip rate. Nice access to Pensacola Bay and Gulf, you don't have to motor for a long time to get to blue water. Inexpensive too. Fuel available at 2nd smaller marina closer to Gulf.

MacDill AFB, limited to I believe 24 feet, and skinny water to get to marina.

Don't have any first hand experience with any others. Take care, Scot

It's been a few years since I was at MacDill AFB. I kept my 30' there. If they can handle larger than 30', it's not much larger.

Very well protected but few amenities (there was a club nearby) and they didn't like people staying overnight. I had to put a DoD decal on my window so it was visible as I approached the entrance.

I have a slip at Boca Chica outside Key West although I wont have it much longer. Traditionally most of the marinas have very long waiting lists for a permanent slip. Boca Chica is going to have a huge number of slips coming open as the new commander there put a new policy out that effective 31 January you are limited to 4 years and then have to leave for at least a year and go back on the waiting list. And he made the 4 year limit retroactive so all 52 permanent slip holders are getting told to move on so getting one should be fairly easy. However, do keep in mind that there are a ton of restrictions and the next commander may change it to one year or back to unlimited. Who knows. None of us expected to get the boot after waiting for years to get a slip but it is happening as we speak. Not much fun when you are retired and 100% disabled. Welcome to military marinas.

Don

Scott PSNeeld can probably expand and advise on this. He is a retired CG helo pilot
Can't expand much.

Only one I have been to is Patrick, AFB and that too has a waiting list and often tough to get a transient slip in.

Probably because it is isolated by a couple of 40 foot bridges keeping larger sailboats out keeps some of the transient cruisers away.

It's bad in south Florida for dockage and RV spots...many booked solid for the winter season.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom