Oil access/leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
My Carver is under contract. It has 6BTA 330hp. There was an oil leak around the rear cylinder on the right engine. The survey happened...hull surveyor only. He is recommending a mechanical survey due to oil leak...SO we all agreed to completely clean up the engine room to start new to see where the oil is coming from. I go by the boat today and was looking around and notice what is in the picture. The oil was already cleaned up due to the clean up project going on. But this is the engine hoist "loop" right next to that back cylinder where there was some oil. I am surprised I am just noticing this...and more surprised that this is the first time I have seen it. Yet more surprised that the hoop is out of position and will not move without loosening the surviving bolt.
My question:
I do know some bolts on this engine penetrate the crankcase "atmosphere". I think I remember the bolts for the belt guards do or at least I was told they did. I removed my belt guards and made sure the bolts were returned to their proper holes. Anyway, just wondering is oil could leak out of this bolt hole....

Attachments

• 1C888D8E-278C-4ACA-A93E-19ED48A80D02.jpg
    1C888D8E-278C-4ACA-A93E-19ED48A80D02.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 65
Start it and see if oil comes out?

Hahaha....I would but everything is wrapped up for a good cleaning. But I certainly will when that is all put back together.

Have some diapers at the ready when you crank it since you have it all clean now.

I don't think those holes go all the way though, but I am not sure. I am willing to bet that the oil leak is from the valve cover gasket. They all seem to leak if the gasket is not changed regularly, or at least in my experience.

I don't think those holes go all the way though, but I am not sure. I am willing to bet that the oil leak is from the valve cover gasket. They all seem to leak if the gasket is not changed regularly, or at least in my experience.

That was certainly what I was thinking.

Stick a welding or brazing rod or a piece of coat hanger thru the hole and see if the hole is blind or goes into the engine cavity.
Just don't drop whatever you use LOL

I have the same engine, and that would be my first guess. I had that bracket off this winter when I replaced the gear cooler, but I did not check (for certain) if it could leak through that bolt. There is no gasket for that bolt, so I don't think so??:angel:

If anything it is a head bolt which does not go all the way through. Being gone it could cause some water and possibly oil to seep out around the head gasket.

You should be able to find the bolt during the bilge clean up.

pete

I stuck a screwdriver in it today. It went all the way through....to open air on the other side!!!
:blush::blush::blush:

Then use a little sealant on the bolt threads.
The old Perkins T6.354 had engine mount bolts that went into an oil gallery. I had to seal them up.

I would buy new valve cover gaskets , and a nut and bolt to secure the bracket better.

FF, that is simple wise advise.

Back
Top Bottom