Thoughts on this boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know nothing of this brand, but given the size/cost its a lot of boat for its price vs age. If systems check out and you like it, jump on it if you plan on keeping it for a while. If your looking for only a year or two I would keep looking for something that is known and has a market for resale.

Does it come with a slip? If you don't already know, Everett has a long wait list for something of this size. It would really be a bonus if it had a slip!

Must be something terribly wrong w the boat.

Agree, lot of boat for the money. If owners have in fact moved and are paying storage I suspect it will be heavily discounted at some point. Many Taiwan brands, probably built by the same workers. Don't see much advantage to brand because they are all out of business and all repairs are custom. Of course some well known brands have a good resale value due to quality or good marketing but maintenance of any boat is more important than brand.

Biggest issue is mechanical systems and electronics. Just about everything is repairable. A good survey will help you decide.

Looks pretty good for a boat that is a bit long in the tooth. Next, make an offer, if accepted, onward to 2 surveys, boat, engine. You may have bought yourself a boat.

Pay particular attention to the engines. When I see a boat like this where someone went crazy with yellow paint on the Cats, it raises a BIG red flag for me. Painted over hoses, hoses only have one clamp on them, lots of green/blue corrosion visible on hose bibs . . . . A can (or in this situation, as case) of spray cans can hide a world of hurt . . . Also noted issues with electrical in the pics . . . Proceed with caution!
Otherwise, nice looking boat, and price is reasonable . . . .or not . ..

I agree to go in with your eyes wide open. You need to find everything wrong with it. You should be disgusted.

IMG_5838.jpgAdjustments.JPGThose rough engines are a sign of years of neglect hidden with paint spray a couple years ago. Look at the slipshod door jamb works - that’s an indicator. Look at all the amateur modifications in the engine room carpentry and electrical works. Ignore the carpet and fabrics and countertops - those are no-brainer fixes.

So go survey this vessel yourself like I mentioned. Be a total jerk in your mind.

If you’re still interested after that then hire your pro surveyor and mechanic to check the boat out. The final report will definitely identify mandatory fixes per your insurance company - so negotiate even more after that.

You might wind up with a real winner - a minor project boat.

Good luck amigo!

Check water entry, at least one portlight looked to have water deterioration under it, and there are drawn curtains in pics of some areas you will want to inspect.
Could be a lot of boat for $. The engines don`t seem to have been "tarted up" just before the advert was posted(though ? depends age of the advert).

Not getting a bad vibe off the pics. Looks reasonably clean. A roll of paper towels and two gallons of battery water is a sign someone cared..... (or a broker with a past in psy-ops).

3208's if maintained are pretty resilient engines. Some evidence of maintenance would be good....(as in records.... I don't share the yellow paint flag)

Survey, survey, survey.

Electrical system..... (probably non tinned wire)
Bonding system...... (galvanic damage?)
Tanks....... (steel? rot?)
Hull/decks/superstructure (laminate? Water intrusion?)
Windows (tight?)
Plumbing/through hulls (solid?)
Tranny/shafts/props

Don't care about electronics. Nice if they're newer... easy to update.

If it's all halfway decent looks like it could be a lot of boat for the $$.

Last edited:
looks like the yellow paint was from the factory,, i notice it too when i went and looked at it last weekend,,thought is was weird to still have the original hoses lol,, but the motors didn't look too fondled no signs of overheating but that would explain the paint then. hummm

By my standards, just from the photos, looks like it needs about 150K to get to minimal seaworthiness, convenience and liveability. Everything is dated. My most recent point of reference is the Gulfstar 44MY our friends bought for about 100k that is light years ahead of this boat in almost every aspect except speed to get this boat to those standards might be more like 200-250k.

I give the owner and broker a lot of credit for posting pretty honest photos. We do like that layout.

I zoomed in on the picture of the white phone by the helm. I see it is a direct line to a mechanic.

A lot of armchair guessing from photos...those CATs look better than 90 percent I see running every day and looked about the same when I sold my boat with 3208s...they had 3700 hrs on them 10 years ago and are now well over 5000 with no major maintenance.

Seaworthy? Ocean running or sound running?

The boat might be in good enough shape with a few tweaks to provide years worth of local cruising...who knows from just pictures.

Going to spend a bit to get things better???? Probably...but I doubt the estimates above are really needed unless you are planning major voyages and having the work done by top yards or enjoys having a near perfect boat.

Unless you are talking a new bottom, redone decks, total paint, engines rebuilt.....

Some of us can live with a boat...it doesn't need to be a bristol yacht.

I do admit the price seems low unless the guy is like me and wants a decent boat gone FAST. If no, then one alternative is there is something major wrong.....another is that mid 80s boats just are getting old and unless it just went through an unprofitable refit are all but throw aways.

Last edited:
Oh my Goodness, why is everyone being so critical and nit pickey? Its an older boat, well kept, clean with outdated electronics.

Go for it. What you save in price under a comparable boat you can use to update whatever the survey shows needing done.

pete

A lot of armchair guessing from photos...those CATs look better than 90 percent I see running every day and looked about the same when I sold my boat with 3208s...they had 3700 hrs on them 10 years ago and are now well over 5000 with no major maintenance.

Seaworthy? Ocean running or sound running?

The boat might be in good enough shape with a few tweaks to provide years worth of local cruising...who knows from just pictures.

Going to spend a bit to get things better???? Probably...but I doubt the estimates above are really needed unless you are planning major voyages and having the work done by top yards or enjoys having a near perfect boat.

Unless you are talking a new bottom, redone decks, total paint, engines rebuilt.....

Some of us can live with a boat...it doesn't need to be a bristol yacht.

I do admit the price seems low unless the guy is like me and wants a decent boat gone FAST. If no, then one alternative is there is something major wrong.....another is that mid 80s boats just are getting old and unless it just went through an unprofitable refit are all but throw aways.
I do agree with you. In any old boat you will be able to find things to update, but changing pillows or curtains is not a big deal.
Engines look to have been repainted but this is not uncommon and it is not uncommon for people not to care about removing/protecting hoses before painting. This may be a sign of someone taking care of getting away from rust too.
Batteries setup looks a bit messy and may deserve some focus, mine was worst than that though.
For the price I think this is a lot of boat IF you are fine with getting your hands dirty to make it up to your standards.
For me sounds mechanic, sound hull is the main point, beyond that it depends on your wish/ability to do renovation and your budget.

L

Seriously, there is no mystery. Many people who can afford to run a boat like that can also afford to buy one new. The result is that there is a constant oversupply of large, expensive, boats on the market. Personally I am in the neither/nor majority of the population, and the thought of the running costs, even if it is sitting idle, scare me half to death. I see many beautiful boats, that would today cost a million or two to build, going for cents on the dollar. I may dream about owning one but reality, or my wife, soon kicks in. Now, if I won Megabucks..... but that's why those Megabucks winners often blow through their winnings at a remarkable rate.

If you know what you are getting into owning a boat like this, even assuming it is in as good shape as it looks, then this looks like the one to buy.

Good luck!

Last edited:
At first glance it looked like a Trojan.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/trojan-54-deckhouse-motoryacht-3139343/
at the list price it looks below average so they are compensating for something As others said at that price you can do some upgrades and be within the going prices.
Found this on an old TF thread. Good luck.
Angel Marine Industries
10 Chung Lin Rd
Shaw Kang
Kaohsiung Taiwan
Built 42-75Ft motor yachts

Last edited:
Oh, my goodness. Why on Earth are people trashing this boat?

I'm not one to believe every set of sales "prom photos" I see. But, taking them at face value, I see no red flags.

In general, the photos of the living spaces look as nice as anything 30+ years old can look without a major refit. And, by that I mean nicer than most boats I've seen. The bottom looks great. The exterior looks good. The bottom looks great. I can't really tell about the decks.

As for the engine room, it does look cosmetically neglected -- but not bad. What shape it is really in, no one will really know without hearing it start, seeing it warm up and run, and checking out the engines before, during, and after.

There is some corrosion in the engine room that suggest that I'd prefer not see there -- but I'd like the boat no better if they knocked it off with a brush and painted over it yesterday. I don't see old oozing of oil or raw water or spots where it was cleaned. So, if the boat has been run, I'm either not seeing those spots, or such problems are modest. Some fitting need to go. Some paint needs touched up. Minor stuff.

The 1ary fuel filters are old school without metal shields. I don't know much about the small one. Maybe the large ones are 900s and can be upgraded.

The control cables may or may not need replaced. I can't convince myself that they'll be smooth.

If it hasn't been run a lot, the turbos can be a concern -- but those are easy enough to check and are likely rebuildable if needed. And, coolers are always a concern -- and the photos here certainly don't take away from that concern. Without knowing the history, I'm also always concerned about impellers, the recency of fluid changes, pencil zincs, batteries, etc. But, these are maintenance item in any boat -- and in this case, we are told the impellers and batteries are new.

The yellow paint tells me nothing. There is some over-spray in my boat. Any time I turn a bolt I clean it and spray it to keep rust away. If I ever see any rust, I heavy brush and hit it with a converter and then paint. I don't mask everything off. If I did, things would end up spending a lot more time unpainted and exposed.

With 3208s I always worry about head gaskets. But, that isn't a special concern for this boat. And, I love 3208s.

Neither the pile of diapers nor gallons of water tell me anything, either. I have diapers and water in my boat. So did the owner before me. We have very different practices.

And, yeah, that outlet look substandard in how it is wired -- but that is beyond common. And, no doubt, like most boats of that era, there are places where there is some water intrusion. But, judging by cosmetics, it is well better than many I've seen.

The electronics are very dated, as are the galley appliances. That concerns me about how the boat was used. It wasn't a heavy cruiser any time recently, I don't think. But the seller admits that -- "low hours". The seller also tells us that the batteries and impellers are new. This suggests to me that the boat may have "needed them" for the sale. So, I suspect the boat hasn't been used as a boat a lot. That isn't a plus, but, in the end, it all depends how it runs.

Looking at it, it also hasn't been super neglected. The bottom is good. The engine room is relatively good. The cabin is good. Etc.

As for why it is only $80k. I wouldn't expect it to be listed for more than that in that market. Freshening up the engine room will take some money as will modern chart plotter, radar, fishfinder/sounder, autopilot, radios, and likely safety gear. That's all money. (Of course, it could also be in really bad shape when inspected...and that is a different game, entirely).

If you like the layout, and it is in your price range, go and have a look. If it still impresses you great. If not, that's okay, too. If you like it, see if they'll start the engines and genset for you (they may not). Ask questions -- sometimes you can get more information. Make an offer you are comfortable with and think likely to stick with after the due diligence. Get a good survey and mechanical inspection, including sea trial and haul out inspection. If there are any surprises, and they can be worked out, work them out with the seller. Enjoy boating -- with this boat, or another.

But, there is nothing in these photos, by themselves, that should scare you off. Nothing.

Go look the boat over. Keep in mind that it is 30 years old and it will have some issues. But it isn’t priced at 4 or 500K either. You can’t reasonably expect the boat to be perfect at that age and price. Buy it if you like it and are willing to fix it up to your level of satisfaction. If not then move on.

The pleasure in boat ownership is using the boat.

Repair /replace anything broken , and get underway.

Should you purchase it do no "upgrading" for at least 1 year.

Enjoy what does work and keep a list of Bestitis dreaming, in a year the list will have changed considerably.

Electronics are never a great early purchase , in a year it will be 2 years out of date.

Thanks again everybody for all the info and inputs,
Whats a good offer 30% less then the asking price? I am thinking 60k-ish,,

The only problem no slips available anywhere around here for this size boat so that's weighing on my decision

If slips are tight then get your name on a few marina waiting lists. If you wait untill you have a boat you may not have a place to moor it.

If things are tight do not be too rigid about location or again you may not have a slip at all when you find your boat.

Allow for a slip that is larger than your ideal size as the new boat may also not be the ideal length.

It may be a waste of time but time you have. If you get a slip that is not as close or ideal as you hoped for then keep trying once you have that not ideal slip.

There is movement but without that name on a list you have no chance.

I have seen people miss on slip possibilities, even those that are not ideal, and end up in panic and farther away than they wanted because they would not consider a waiting list.

And if you do put your name on a list keep checking with the marina every 3, 4 - 6 months or you may get dropped off. My wife and I did that for 5 years and the last check we found we had been inadvertently dropped from the list for a larger than ideal length. Because we talked to them and checked they dug back and yup, there we were on the previous list. And guess what we got, the larger slip and I've never been sorry.

Thanks again everybody for all the info and inputs,
Whats a good offer 30% less then the asking price? I am thinking 60k-ish,,

The only problem no slips available anywhere around here for this size boat so that's weighing on my decision

Amount of offer is just a swag for most people. You might throw out a $55k offer just for kicks. Attach it to a purchase contract with a check for earnest month. If nothing else, it may open a dialogue with the seller. On Moorage, you could always make the offer based on obtaining suitable moorage in a specific time period. You might also want to explore whether the current slip lease might be transferable to the new owner. That's if the location would work for you. Anyway you decide to do an offer, include contingencies for survey and sea trail. Good luck in whatever you decide!:dance:

As long as there are no teak decks or water soaked cores it looks like a boat you an have a lot of use from and if you choose update it. The price seems low to me but if you can get it for less why not?

Curiously that one battery looks unconnected. A survey and seatrial is necessary. Carefully inspect the tanks.

Remember the electronics were state of the art when new. If they work they will do what they did when new. You dont have to have the latest and greatest to use the boat. Just compass and charts work well too.

Jesus you guys can be tough... they are asking 79.. probably sell for 65 to 70. looks pretty clean for a 86. Its could be a great boat if the buyer DOESN'T go hog wild and upgrade the crap out of it.. and could be really reasonable to own. Not every boat has to be perfect.. if it runs.. doesn't catch on fire.. doesn't sink.. or it doesn't rain on you in the cabin when its raining outside it could offer a great low dollar experience. Another thought is those sun deck or whatever they call them on the East Coast are not as popular as a tri cabin on the West Coast, that could have something to do with the low cost for the year. Ad states that the owners are done with it so that may be the case.
If you think that ER looks sketchy dont peek in the ER of my old Ocean Alexander.. its not a lot better
HOLLYWOOD

By my standards, just from the photos, looks like it needs about 150K to get to minimal seaworthiness, convenience and liveability. Everything is dated. My most recent point of reference is the Gulfstar 44MY our friends bought for about 100k that is light years ahead of this boat in almost every aspect except speed to get this boat to those standards might be more like 200-250k.

I give the owner and broker a lot of credit for posting pretty honest photos. We do like that layout.

$150k more to get to MINIMAL seaworthiness?? Spare me the drama

Last edited:
Oh my Goodness, why is everyone being so critical and nit pickey? Its an older boat, well kept, clean with outdated electronics.

Go for it. What you save in price under a comparable boat you can use to update whatever the survey shows needing done.

pete

Totally agree.

This boat has been sitting on the hard for multiple years. I don't think the motors have been run during that time.

I don't know the owner super well but I do know he is very motivated to sell. If you are serious about it make sure you find a good mechanical surveyor. I would be nervous about engines sitting that long without running.

It is my understanding that Angel Marine boats were made based on the Bayliner design. I believe it was founded by someone who left the company.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom