Thread: Crossing a bar
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
Portage_Bay
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
C electric gave great advice on running in at moderate speed. Another way to think about it is if you're already at full speed you have only one option. Also try your autopilot but be ready to quickly disengage and steer by hand. On some boats the auto pilot will do a better job steering in demanding conditions than the human. Freeing up the human to make the decisions about course and speed.

You asked specifically about techniques to handle the seas. I'd like to talk about bar crossings in slow boats in general.

Expanding on others advise it isn't slack tide specifically you want. It's the window from slack before the flood to well before the slack before the ebb. By well before I mean enough time to fully clear the bar before ebb current starts.

The hazardous conditions often extend far beyond the bar on the ebb. Sometimes miles out to sea. This shortens your window.

When the seas are up I aim for about half way between slacks on the flood.

At the risk of insulting your experience I'll make two final points. 1 make sure your fuel filters are in good shape. I've seen boats loose power crossing hazardous bars. It doesn't go well for therm. 2 Don't mistake low tide predictions for slack tide predictions. I've known experienced boaters to make this mistake.

This advice is based on hundreds of PNW bar crossings in slow boats.