Alternator Pully Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
Finally getting around to removing my non working alternator. I am trying to remove the old pulley to put on new unit. I have it in a vise and the nut is just spinning. Do I need an impact gun to remove?

Is the shaft spinning? An impact gun makes it easy.

If no impact gun, since the alternator doesn't work anyway, jam it with a screwdriver or take the case off and grip the rotor in the vice. In either case, make sure you determine if the nut is right hand or left hand threads.....

Finally getting around to removing my non working alternator. I am trying to remove the old pulley to put on new unit. I have it in a vise and the nut is just spinning. Do I need an impact gun to remove?

The obvious answer is, take it to a shop. It cant cost too much to have it removed properly and installed properly on the new unit.
Give consideration to buying a new pulley for the new unit. That way you can have to non-working alternator rebuilt and then, you have a back up all ready to reinstall if necessary.

Greetings,
Mr. l. I agree with Mr. OD. Have it re-built. Didn't your new alternator come with a pulley? IF a different size, when you bring the old unit in for re-build, have the shop install a pulley of the appropriate size OR have them leave off the old pulley on the re-build and you can re-use it on the new unit. Personally, I'd buy the extra pulley. Then if you have to change it when out and about, you won't have to fiddle with changing pulleys.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply used a battery powered impact gun worked like a charm. I’m going to have the old unit rebuilt.

Thanks for the reply used a battery powered impact gun worked like a charm. I’m going to have the old unit rebuilt.

Those battery powered tools are very inexpensive (when on sale) and do a fantastic job. Always buy a spare batteries.

The drive pulley is not just a pulley , most have vanes or fins to cool the unit and different pulleys are required for different rotation directions

Another trick would be to use an old fan belt. Put the belt around the pulley, grab the belt close to the pulley with a pair of vice grips. While you may need a few hands, this trick does work. Also has been mentioned, pay attention to threads. Some are left hand.

strap wrench?

Yes. AKA a strap wrench. The belt/vice-grips works just as well, probably better because the belt fits into the pulley groove whereas the strap wrench fits around the pulley.
But either should work.

Another trick would be to use an old fan belt. Put the belt around the pulley, grab the belt close to the pulley with a pair of vice grips. While you may need a few hands, this trick does work. Also has been mentioned, pay attention to threads. Some are left hand.

I've used the fan belt trick - it definitely works.

Ken

You don't mention the brand but look at the end of the shaft and make sure you are turning the correct way. Wrap the fan with rags to put resistance on it and strike your wrench with a hammer. Failing that, any garage, tire dealer, with an impact can take it off for you.

Tried several versions with either slipping or fans bending...battery impact gun had it off in 1/2 second with no holding if pulley or anything.

Will never leave home without it.

Most alternators have a shaft end that fits a large Allen wrench (or hex key).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom