You know you've made it when ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wake up every morning with a beautiful woman half your age?

If you are saying the derived pleasure increases with the length of the boat, then the relationship is directly proportional not inversely.

If Pleasure = 1 / Length : as you state, then a smaller boat would increase the pleasure factor.
Quite the opposite; inversely IS the Word, implying that as the length increases the work to pleasure ratio changes adversely. (but I do appreciate your attention to my post. It’s good to know someone is reading)

In addition to the helicopter?

Heck, we went to the Palm Beach yacht show last year and we weren't allowed to board 95% of the boats, even the ones we could actually afford. My two boys did get to sit in a McLaren 720S and go vroom vroom though.

Heck, we went to the Palm Beach yacht show last year and we weren't allowed to board 95% of the boats, even the ones we could actually afford. My two boys did get to sit in a McLaren 720S and go vroom vroom though.

So many people pre-judge the purchasing power of another person by the way they dress. That makes me both smile and pisses off. Think of the joy of telling the seller, "You just missed out on a cash sale.", and I have done it. The last 'missed sale', about 10 years ago, involved a $120,000 + tax, car. Not one sales person came out of their 'hiding area' to see if I needed some help. SHRUG.
Per a boat, there are few boats, under 150 ft, I cannot afford to buy. Must be the wrinkled shorts and shirt I wear. LOL
To put it in as few words as possible, "Sometimes people piss me off.", then...... I laugh.

Last edited:
I have spent time in the Hamptons , and can say for sure how someone dresses or what they drive is NOT any indication of the thickness of their bill fold.

You know you've made when ......

the first thing you see every morning is the smile of the most beautiful woman on the planet.

Your grandaughter snuggles in and says "I love you papa".

Your son calls and says "I was just made Dean".

When your other son calls and says "I was just made Principal"

When you come into a little windfall and can't think of a thing to spend it on.

When you fall asleep every night with a smile.

You just nailed it. Thanks for bringing to light the things that are REALLY important in life.

My German immigrant grandfather was a very rich guy, built and owned apartment buildings, real estate developments, shopping centers, etc. He used to take my brother and me on construction site visits in a brown Rambler station wagon that he must have bought at a junkyard, with a piece of rope for one of the door handles. Drove my grandmother nuts, he'd drive that embarrassing looking car through the iron gates of their estate in a posh Connecticut town. Wish I had had more time with him.

My German immigrant grandfather was a very rich guy, built and owned apartment buildings, real estate developments, shopping centers, etc. He used to take my brother and me on construction site visits in a brown Rambler station wagon that he must have bought at a junkyard, with a piece of rope for one of the door handles. Drove my grandmother nuts, he'd drive that embarrassing looking car through the iron gates of their estate in a posh Connecticut town. Wish I had had more time with him.

Some of the richest guys I know, do stuff like that. It's how they got rich. They don't waste money, and it's a hard habit to break when they get where they could. :D

Wake up every morning with a beautiful woman half your age?

That would make her 24 and would leave me having to explain things, like how it used to be before the internet, or cell phones, or answering machines. Or why I'm tired of talking to the back of her phone. :banghead:

That'll be a polite pass from me, and honestly....probably from her too. LOL!!!

My wife and I are nine years apart and I think that's about the max for my comfort level. Music for example, she doesn't know Harry Chapin or Jim Croce and she's a little shaky on Gordon Lightfoot. Petula Clark, forget it, but then I was in diapers myself for "Downtown." But I love her anyway (my wife I mean).

My Dad, who walked down the sunny side of the street called Dementia (he was happy & content vs angry & bitter) despite his failing health used to say, "If you wake up in the morning and can look out the window to see what the weather is doing, it's already a good day".

You wake up every morning and realize you have a boat.

As to not judging potential customers I have a simple rule. Never judge/never assume.

You know you've made it when you can afford a five-figure maintenance/repair boat bill.

Just reading Ken Follet's Fall of Giants. He describes the conditions in 1914 in a fictional town in Wales, Aberowen, the working conditions, the politics, the health care, the way the miners lived.
I thank my Grandfather for his foresight, getting out of there by 1925 when he brought his young family to Canada. And my father, who in 1950 recognized the folly of staying in Prince Albert Saskatchewan and moved to Vancouver.
I know I have made it only because of those decisions by my ancestors.

You wake up every morning and realize you have a boat.

As to not judging potential customers I have a simple rule. Never judge/never assume.

Growing up where I did, you saw a lot of guys who owned construction companies, and large scale farming operations, and other businesses, that looked like the guy coming to fix your flat tire. One of the richest guys in our state used to live in our town, and he drove a ten year old station wagon. He passed away, but his family still owns the majority of the stock in a very well known hotel chain.

My brother is a partner in the largest CPA firm in our state and he has frequently told me he deals with a whole lot of rich people who look poor, and a whole lot of poor people who look rich. :D

You know you've made it when you can afford a five-figure maintenance/repair boat bill.

Or when you see the "what-the-holy-****, how much does it cost to own a boat" look on someone else's face when you mention the winter maintenance bills. So, yeah...

Hell I’m just excited to wake up. The rest is gravy.

At the other end of the spectrum was a guy in the rest home when my wife's 103 year old grandmother took up residence. On the side he asked "how old is she?" And when I answered his response was "Lord, I hope I don't live that long." He was 85. So, yeah.

I once rowed my 8' dinghy across a marina carrying a full porta-pottie in the stern sheets--on the way to legally emptying it in the land-head. Sure got a lot of comments about my "well equipped little yacht."

My brother is a partner in the largest CPA firm in our state and he has frequently told me he deals with a whole lot of rich people who look poor, and a whole lot of poor people who look rich. :D

You might want to read “The Millionaire Next Door”

I bought a wood 14' Blue Jay open cockpit sailboat when I was 18 for I think $1200 with a trailer, which was a million bucks to me then. Sailed it all over the Connecticut River and the east end of Long Island Sound until I went to college at 20. I thought I had it made then, just sailing that little wooden boat around. The cost of that Blue Jay would barely cover one shrink wrapping now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom