RIP Warren Timm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jleonard

Guru
Thought I'd post here that Warren Timm passed on last month. He was 87.
Any of the old time Mainshippers will recognize the name. Warren started the original Mainship owner's group of New Jersey in the very early 1980s.
That was for the original Nantucket series trawlers. That group wrote a monthy newsletter and it included lots of data, specs, and upgrade details that were important back then on those old boats.
He was a great person, loved people, and never had a bad word to say about anyone.
Cheers

Thought I'd post here that Warren Timm passed on last month. He was 87.
Any of the old time Mainshippers will recognize the name. Warren started the original Mainship owner's group of New Jersey in the very early 1980s.
That was for the original Nantucket series trawlers. That group wrote a monthy newsletter and it included lots of data, specs, and upgrade details that were important back then on those old boats.
He was a great person, loved people, and never had a bad word to say about anyone.
Cheers

Thanks Jay for letting us know.

Warren Timm was a great guy. He was very helpful when I was shopping for a Mainship in the 80's. His newsletters, before the creation of the Mainship Forum, was an invaluable source of anything Mainship. He was the go to guy for Mainships.

Do you know when he stopped boating? Sold the Mainship?

His son Andy owns the boat now. I think Warren stopped boating 10 -15 years ago

Jay Leonard,

Now I recognize your name. You and I were moderators on the Mainship Forum in the 90's. I was the PNW moderator having helped start the PNW Mainship Owners Group with two Canadians.

Didn't you start a "Mainship Rules" web site?

I remember Warren from when we had our 1981 34’ Mainship which we kept in Des Moines, WA. In the mid 80s we had a Mainship rendezvous in Oak Harbor and there had to be 30 plus 34’s. We all brought out and exchanged specs/data/paper and lot of it came from Warren. RIP.

I remember Warren from when we had our 1981 34’ Mainship which we kept in Des Moines, WA. In the mid 80s we had a Mainship rendezvous in Oak Harbor and there had to be 30 plus 34’s. We all brought out and exchanged specs/data/paper and lot of it came from Warren. RIP.

Yes Warren provided the PNW group with lots of informative information. There weren't very many seasoned Mainships owners in the NW at the time and Warren was our goto guy.

We attended every Mainship rendezvous at Oak Harbor plus a few in Sidney BC. until about 2004. We continued attending after getting Sandpiper in 2000. I stuck Mainship decals on Sandpiper to fool the crowd.

What was your Mainships name? Ours was Trombo.

I'm sure we would recognize each other....... or not. It's been over 30 years!

...We attended every Mainship rendezvous at Oak Harbor plus a few in Sidney BC. until about 2004. We continued attending after getting Sandpiper in 2000. I stuck Mainship decals on Sandpiper to fool the crowd.

What was your Mainships name? Ours was Trombo.

I'm sure we would recognize each other....... or not. It's been over 30 years!

The boat name was “Sponge”. It sucked up your time (and money). We loved that boat. Try today of buying a 34’ boat that was only 5 years old for less than 50k?

Simon I know you. I have a memory like an elephant. I never forget. :rofl:

The boat name was “Sponge”. It sucked up your time (and money). We loved that boat. Try today of buying a 34’ boat that was only 5 years old for less than 50k?

Simon I know you. I have a memory like an elephant. I never forget. :rofl:

Ahh Sponge, I tend to remember boats better than people.

I agree, we paid something around $45K. Ours was an 1981 too.

We loved the Mainship too. It was our "forever" boat......... Until we started boating for two months and going further north to areas with limited supplies and brown drinking water.

Yes I was a moderator. Yes we started a mainships rule web site. Those were fun times.
I started a North East mainship group and we had monthly meetings during the winter and several raft ups in the summer.
I believe we hold the record as we had 29 mainships rafted up in Sag Harbor one year.

I don't go back quite as far as some of you, but I was a member of the Mainship group before it moved to yahoo, I believe geo cities?

RIP Mr. Timm, it was an honor

Crossing the Bar Lord Alfred Tennyson

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

Was very popular with the Brits when I was in the Middle East and it became like the inside joke.

BTW, great comedian that guy is!

Oh, and I didn’t mean to be insensitive or disrespectful to the memory of Timm (who I don’t know), but I really hope that when I pass on, that the people around me laugh and smile instead of the opposite.

Oh, and I didn’t mean to be insensitive or disrespectful to the memory of Timm (who I don’t know), but I really hope that when I pass on, that the people around me laugh and smile instead of the opposite.

No problem. It worked.

Hello Jay,

Thanks for letting us know about Warren.

Carol and I had the pleasure of meeting him and Joyce when we were in Manasquan on the Great Loop in early June 2004. Gary Hafebier and Don Gagne came by our boat to visit and that evening Warren and Joyce took us to the Shrimp Box where we met Don and Rita for dinner. For desert and coffee we all went to the Gagne's home. We had a great time and heard lots of funny and interesting stories about the local Mainshippers. This was typical of many places along the Great Loop where friends from the Yahoo Group came to visit with us and make the trip wonderful.

As you probably know all Yahoo Groups have been rendered almost useless by Yahoo. Recently, before all the files were all deleted, I looked back through some of the earliest posts in 1999 and it brought back lots of memories.

I was able to download a copy of all the posts just before the deletion and we're looking for a way to make them available online to members of the group.

Jim Fidler Mainship 430 "Fiddlesticks" Punta Gorda, FL

Jay, thanks for posting. I remember Warren and Andy and the many Mainship raftups in NJ and elsewhere and the many moderators of the Mainship yahoo group and all the friendships that followed thanks to Warren. RIP.

Clark

Back
Top Bottom