Diesel or oil in the bilge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
So many threads talking about GB tanks bursting sooner or later spilling into the bilge only to have the bilge pump put it overboard. OK, I sat up and took notice.
Did a search and found this. Two on order.
Smart Bilge Pump Switch with Oil and Fuel Detector (BG-One)
Bilge switch.jpg

I am wondering the level of detection of oil/fuel. If this is detecting pure (or high concentration) this is nice. If this detect traces or low concentration I more see this as a danger. In the later case what would happen if you have water ingress in a dirty bilge...

L

The smart float is a good idea but, if I were to install one, it would be on a separate/new bilge pump and through hull. Obviously one would install the new pump and smart float near the fuel tanks. Switch off the normal bilge pump and rely on the new pump and smart float and discharge it opposite side of the hull as the installed bilge pump. (I have always been in favor of alternating sides of the hull. The bilge pumps are usually centrifugal pumps and if the boat is listing so the discharge is underwater the other overboard and pump will at least slow down the sinking.)
Just my opinion. I could be 100% wrong but, I don't think so.

Last edited:
I am wondering the level of detection of oil/fuel. If this is detecting pure (or high concentration) this is nice. If this detect traces or low concentration I more see this as a danger. In the later case what would happen if you have water ingress in a dirty bilge...

L
I suppose in my case my phone will announce the water level rising in bilge and I go and deal with it. I also have BRNKL boat monitor. I have two pumps individually controlled. Just passing on what gives me peace of mind.

Sorry, but if you have a dirty bilge, chances are your bilge water is polluted.

The smart float is a good idea but, if I were to install one, it would be on a separate/new bilge pump and through hull. Obviously one would install the new pump and smart float near the fuel tanks. Switch off the normal bilge pump and rely on the new pump and smart float.
Just my opinion. I could be 100% wrong but, I don't think so.

Dan, your boat may be different, I found that mine the forward bilge pump works all the time, the one near tanks just waits for the water to rise to that level, has not yet. That is why I am putting one on each pump and replacing the existing auto switches.

Dan, your boat may be different, I found that mine the forward bilge pump works all the time, the one near tanks just waits for the water to rise to that level, has not yet. That is why I am putting one on each pump and replacing the existing auto switches.

Soo, a valid point to consider. :banghead:
Either installation, don't forget the high water alarm.
I doubt if the fuel tanks will experience a sudden failure, just an annoying slow leak.

Last edited:
Soo, a valid point to consider. :banghead:
Either installation, don't forget the high water alarm.
I doubt if the fuel tanks will experience a sudden failure, just an annoying slow leak.
Yes, I was thinking of using one of the auto floats mounted higher to act as high alarm.

There are multiple reasons for a bilge full of fuel or oil.

Some of the commercial boats I used to run had breakers to shut off the auto bilge pump function when at dock unattended or if a bilge spill occurred.

Part of that theory was the sinking of the boat was cheaper than the cleanup costs....but the boats were regularly checked for sinking AND fuel/oil releases

that looks neat . it appears in marina mode it will turn off when oil get in it and hopefully turn on if water get under the oil/fuel . let us know how it works for you.

also how do like the brnkl. i have siren it has a yearly fee though .

that looks neat . it appears in marina mode it will turn off when oil get in it and hopefully turn on if water get under the oil/fuel . let us know how it works for you.

also how do like the BRNKL. i have siren it has a yearly fee though .
BRNKL also has a yearly fee and is similar to siren. I got it once I saw it was a local product. I like the BRNKL, it serves the intended purpose of real time alerts or just check in on boat. Just announced (for those that want it) will have interface with other products which include Iridium for Sat connections. Just more fees if you are out of cell range.

Because of the BRNKL, I will be using the Marina Sanctuary setting which will leave pumps off on first detection until I arrive and assess the situation that caused it and then reboot rather than let it pump again once oil/diesel is clear of sensor.
This is one of those add ons that I hope never will be tested. Having it however gives me peace of mind that my tank of fuel is not spread over the marina.

Back
Top Bottom