Happiest Owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a random question, but I'm curious, so I have to ask: what make of boat do you think has the happiest owners? For instance, those that own Ranger Tugs ("tug nuts") seem to be so happy, it's almost cult-like. Tolly owners too seem to be very happy with their choice of boat. And I am aware that "happiness" is relative before the comedy bits start piling up... lol. thanks ;)

I don't think it is brand specific, although I love my Albin. Rather, IMHO, a boater becomes a more happy boater when there are no more payments due on the boat.

Of course there will always be dockage, insurance, etc. But interest accumulating payments are never a good thing.

pete

The owners whose boats do what they ask of it when they ask it without exorbitant amounts of maintenance.

Some boats through design appeal to a wide variety of owners. THey may not be perfect in all things but offer several attractions.

Sportfishers are great at fishing use but maybe not so good at cruising use for many reasons. They are usually also good seaboats but that may also not be as good for slow cruising. The huge back deck good for fishing limits accomodation.

A cruiser may be ROOMY and comfortable except in really rough water. Another similar boat may be the other way, a great seaboat but the accomodations not quite as great.

Same for any other boat.

You mention Tollys. They deserved their reputation. Good coastal sea boats including rough water handling, good accomodations, good build quality, good looking and a price that many could afford. I know and have known several people with them and that was their opinion.

I don't think boat type is the reason for happiness or not. Most boaters love their boats. If not happy about a specific boat, most boaters will sell it and get something else.

People that use their boats a lot seem to be happier.

Too many boaters don't get to use their boat as often or as long as they want, due to various reasons:

Work/job
Wife does not enjoy boating
Kids and grand kids birthdays, sports, weddings, births in summer
Boat needs repair
Health issues
Afraid to dock
Lacking funds

Last edited:
Two of the happiest days in a boat owners life is the day they buy and the day they sell.
Then repeat the day they buy and the day they sell over again. Repeat.
And I agree with syjos, the more you are able to use, the happier you are.

Wifey B: Bass fishermen and their bass boats. :thumb:

They use them all the time and they're a bit crazy on the whole, but they are happy. Or is it delirious. I'm not sure about someone who seems happy zooming across the lake at 50 mph plus in an open boat when it's pouring down rain or when it's 35 degrees out. :confused:

But then I'm happy and I'm proud to be crazy. :D

I have an AT34 and I have added LOTS of cabinets.... I have increase the storage significantly when I made the under berth storage available and added a 3rd house battery, inverter and 2X135 watt solar panels.

Something that I think can be overlooked is endurance, if you need it. I really appreciate how long I can remain free from any docks or replenishments of any kind. Tank sizes and electrical budget come into play.

If you frequent docks and the dirt, it's not as big of a need.

Something that I think can be overlooked is endurance, if you need it. I really appreciate how long I can remain free from any docks or replenishments of any kind. Tank sizes and electrical budget come into play.

If you frequent docks and the dirt, it's not as big of a need.

I should be able to make 800 miles at 7.5 Knts. in comfort. Gen allows me to run the A/C and cook on the electric stove too.

Last edited:
The ones who play with their boat(s) in the bathtub.

Ted

Wifey B: Bass fishermen and their bass boats. :thumb:

They use them all the time and they're a bit crazy on the whole, but they are happy. Or is it delirious. I'm not sure about someone who seems happy zooming across the lake at 50 mph plus in an open boat when it's pouring down rain or when it's 35 degrees out. :confused:

But then I'm happy and I'm proud to be crazy. :D
The sub question is, do happy people buy XYZ brand boats or does owning an XYZ brand boat make them happy?
If you are on TF a while, I think you get a sense of which boats people like. Maybe, Bayliner, GB,KK,and some others. But I expect there are exceptions which make an owner not happy. Boats are so variable within a brand and model, based on use, care, maintenance, luck, etc.

So, is it what boat do the happiest people buy. Or what boat makes people most happy after buying it?

Some boats have a bit of a club following, and some people love that rafting up, dinners etc ambience.The happiness there probably comes from the social interaction the boat offers, nothing really to do with the character of the boat.

On the other extreme some just want to get as far away from the 'Madding crowd' as they can, to them that isolation is pure bliss. Again,maybe nothing to do with the boats per se.

So for me the happiest owners have boats that allow them to do the things they really want to on a reliable basis,without undue financial stain. Plus, a prefered first mate to share the adventure it with.

Have I mentioned Sarawana?

Edit: Bruce beat me to it.

Maybe we should be asking what folks like LEAST on their boat.

"Maybe we should be asking what folks like LEAST on their boat."

Required forced maint , repairing something that only failed because the boat assembler was cheap or greedy or ignorant.

I don't much care about brand; instead we focus on features the boat offers... and whether those features meet our needs and wants.

There are a few brands we'd focus on if we had a big lottery win, and a few brands we wouldn't ever buy... but in general, we're about matching capabilities to requirements.

-Chris

I don't much care about brand; instead we focus on features the boat offers... and whether those features meet our needs and wants.

There are a few brands we'd focus on if we had a big lottery win, and a few brands we wouldn't ever buy... but in general, we're about matching capabilities to requirements.

-Chris

Agreed. And even within a brand, some models are better designed or built than others. So it's not as simple as "X brand built well, Y brand built poorly"

Boating by itself makes people happy.

Whenever my non boating friends meet my boating friend, they are always amazed at how happy and fun loving the boaters are.

“ What make boat has the happiest owners “ I’ve been happy, but satisfied with ownership might be a better term. My choices in over 40 years of boating have been a Boston Whaler Montauk 17, Cape Dory 25 & 28, Monk 36 and Krogen Manatee 36. They all fit our needs at the time, provided great memories and held there values over the years owned.

Last edited:
If I walk away from my boat at the dock and turn around to look at her with a smile, I'm a happy boater.
If I dinghy away from my boat at anchor and turn around to look at her with a smile, I'm a happy boater.
If I....etc., I'm a happy boater.

I think the people with the ability to be the most happy with their boat are people that are well-informed about boats and boating, from experience and education.

My logical mind tries to put a price on happiness, then equate that price to what the boat is costing me. I've had several sailboats, they've all been older and I paid cash for them. In all cases I've said "if that boat were to sink tomorrow, I've gotten my moneys worth in enjoyment out of her". Fortunately none of them sank and I was able to sell them, so I'm cash/smiles positive.

Now the tug is a different equation. It's financed, so I try to equate enjoyment to my monthly costs, sort of hard to do during the winter months but much easier to equate in the summer. And the "if it were to sink tomorrow" logic is skewed by the fact that she's insured to the hilt!

I think the people with the ability to be the most happy with their boat are people that are well-informed about boats and boating, from experience and education.

Wifey B: I think a good part of it is definitely comfort. You have the experience and education to be confident and enjoy and not be stressed by it. Also, you're doing it your way. Plus you can handle the ups and downs. We could have just hired crew to drive us around or gone on cruises, but we took the time and energy for formal training and on water training. We wanted to be boaters not just riders, but we also have people who handle the maintenance and upkeep. Following Sylphide, he's so entertaining and upbeat but he had a down period, got some professionals to help, slowed down and then life was wonderful again. A lot is taking on a boat you can afford, and working out a boating plan you can handle and enjoy on it. Richard seemed to have a blast crossing oceans single handing his KK42. That would have been h..l to me and miserable. It's back to "Make your own kind of music." :D

Wifey B: I think a good part of it is definitely comfort. You have the experience and education to be confident and enjoy and not be stressed by it. Also, you're doing it your way. Plus you can handle the ups and downs. We could have just hired crew to drive us around or gone on cruises, but we took the time and energy for formal training and on water training. We wanted to be boaters not just riders, but we also have people who handle the maintenance and upkeep. Following Sylphide, he's so entertaining and upbeat but he had a down period, got some professionals to help, slowed down and then life was wonderful again. A lot is taking on a boat you can afford, and working out a boating plan you can handle and enjoy on it. Richard seemed to have a blast crossing oceans single handing his KK42. That would have been h..l to me and miserable. It's back to "Make your own kind of music." :D

Very good point, happy=comfortable. I like that.

I have a boat that I find pretty easy to operate and maintain, pretty easy to afford, and very pleasant to spend time aboard. I'm comfortable with it in every regard. No wonder I'm happy. I also dislike my dinghy in most every regard and I am replacing it with one that should be much more comfortable and easy to operate. Huh.

Mole from the The Wind in the Willows is the happiest boater.

And those who think like Mole.

Comfort?

One should page through Small Boats Magazine or Small Craft Advisor (Both great magazines BTW) to see all the happy boaters.

It's not the possession of a boat which makes us happy, it is the experience we have with them that makes us happy.

Last edited:
If I walk away from my boat at the dock and turn around to look at her with a smile, I'm a happy boater.
If I dinghy away from my boat at anchor and turn around to look at her with a smile, I'm a happy boater.
If I....etc., I'm a happy boater.

:thumb:

Attachments

• hanginglaundry.jpg
    hanginglaundry.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 49
Northern Spy wrote, "It's not the possession of a boat which makes us happy, it is the experience we have with them that makes us happy."

Exactly. That's another expression of the thought that boaters who use their boats are the happiest boaters. Put differently, the more you use your boat, the happier you'll be with it. (And for those of us who ascribe personality to boats, the more you use your boat, the happier it will be with you).

Spending time on or around your boat helps ensure that it will be well-maintained. Using your boat frequently helps ensure that its systems are all in good working order. A boat that is well maintained, and on which everything works, is a boat that is ready to go when you are. That's a recipe for happy boating.

I am saddened by all the boats that lie idle, tied to docks or on trailers, just sitting week after week, month after month. Whenever their owners bestir themselves to go boating, they have to overcome the accumulated effects of that idleness, which deters them from spontaneously saying, "Let's go boating." Which means their boat continues to languish . . .

Northern Spy wrote, "..................
I am saddened by all the boats that lie idle, tied to docks or on trailers, just sitting week after week, month after month. Whenever their owners bestir themselves to go boating, they have to overcome the accumulated effects of that idleness, which deters them from spontaneously saying, "Let's go boating." Which means their boat continues to languish . . .

No Kidding! I lived aboard for a while so I saw the boats sit at the dock, but especially noticed as I was leaving for a long weekend trip,they just sat there. In hindsight, are those boat owners happy.

IMO some boat owners enjoy going to the marina and just relaxing . Some need to go out and anchor and some ....... The pleasure one feels aboard their boat can’t be duplicated any other way, that’s why we love it.

No Kidding! I lived aboard for a while so I saw the boats sit at the dock, but especially noticed as I was leaving for a long weekend trip,they just sat there. In hindsight, are those boat owners happy.

Not really. Those owners are aware they are wasting money but can’t help themselves. But they are happy when they go out on their once every three months boating trips. The money part is temporarily forgotten. Then logic takes over and boat is sold. But a new problem starts. They find themselves on Yachtworld.com drooling. Then a bigger problem follows - a bigger boat is purchased. No problem they say, we’ve been using or going to the new boat every weekend so it’s worth all the money. But six months later, it’s back to the same boating schedule. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom