Adding autoanchor but keep bow buttons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a maxwell AA560 chain counter still sitting in its box in the spares locker.
Near 4 years full time cruising anchoring every day and never found the need to fit it.

Chain has 1/4 inch bright poly rope woven into links with ends hanging out like a flag at 25 metre intervals.
Can see them clearly from the wheelhouse as they go out.
Not hard to count to 1, 2 or maybe 3 if in deeper water.

No headsets required, simple hand signal to attach snubber
Retrieval/deployment controlled by me at the helm with simple toggle switch or Portuguese bridge with remote.
Easy deployment and retrieval single handed.
Simi, the way I look at it, these things are like electric windows in cars. Until you've had them, you don't miss them, but after you have, you wonder how you ever put up with not having them. The chain counter is the same. I have never met anyone who installed (or had installed) one that ever regreted having it. I dare you to install that chain counter and then we'll see.

And yes, as Eric mentioned, I did instal a simple, quite cheap, just manual up and down CruzPro chain counter, and absolutely loved it, and it didn't have any auto retrieve capability either, but it just worked..! :thumb: :D

However, they also have quite reasonably priced fancier ones that do have auto retrieve, etc. https://www.bing.com/search?q=cruzpro+chain+counter&form=APMCS1&PC=APMC

Attachments

• 0E0FB360-A016-4A70-AF89-28F12E977DD5.jpg
    0E0FB360-A016-4A70-AF89-28F12E977DD5.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I've ran boats with chain counters before.
I stick to my comment.

I've ran boats with chain counters before.
I stick to my comment.
Sorry, Simi, that answer won't float. Just stick that chain counter on, use it a bit, then get back to us...then try to convince us you hate it, and wish it gone. Or, aren't you up to fitting it yourself..? Don't be proud - we would understand. Just do it next time the boats in for work. :)

Its not a matter of loving it or hating it.
Its a matter of needing it.

As we anchor 25m chain minimum, then 50m, then 75m and have coloured rope at those points there is simply no need for a chain counter.

You can count to 3 right? ;)

Count out loud: "3-feet, 6-feet, 9-feet ...."

We have a maxwell AA560 chain counter still sitting in its box in the spares locker.
Near 4 years full time cruising anchoring every day and never found the need to fit it.

Chain has 1/4 inch bright poly rope woven into links with ends hanging out like a flag at 25 metre intervals.
Can see them clearly from the wheelhouse as they go out.
Not hard to count to 1, 2 or maybe 3 if in deeper water.

No headsets required, simple hand signal to attach snubber
Retrieval/deployment controlled by me at the helm with simple toggle switch or Portuguese bridge with remote.
Easy deployment and retrieval single handed.

Simi I use 1,2,3 and four pcs of nylon tape at 50’ intervals from 100’.
And I deploy hand over hand.

I hear ya Mark.

Note: TT is absolutely correct! There are numerous models of chain counters on the market of which the Maxwell AA150 is just one. The AA designation on the 150 is a misnomer IMHO, as there really isn't anything "automatic" about it. It simply counts the amount of chain deployed or weighed each time the gypsy rotates.(ie: magnet installed in the gypsy.) It has no control over the windlass. It can count when releasing the clutch and letting the anchor free fall too!

I'd forgotten what the "AA" stood for. Correct, nothing "auto" about it; it just counts chain. Counts well. Not so perfect for rope, but chain count is very accurate.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom