Old 02-13-2020, 05:02 AM   #31
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We have a maxwell AA560 chain counter still sitting in its box in the spares locker.
Near 4 years full time cruising anchoring every day and never found the need to fit it.

Chain has 1/4 inch bright poly rope woven into links with ends hanging out like a flag at 25 metre intervals.
Can see them clearly from the wheelhouse as they go out.
Not hard to count to 1, 2 or maybe 3 if in deeper water.

No headsets required, simple hand signal to attach snubber
Retrieval/deployment controlled by me at the helm with simple toggle switch or Portuguese bridge with remote.
Easy deployment and retrieval single handed.
Simi, the way I look at it, these things are like electric windows in cars. Until you've had them, you don't miss them, but after you have, you wonder how you ever put up with not having them. The chain counter is the same. I have never met anyone who installed (or had installed) one that ever regreted having it. I dare you to install that chain counter and then we'll see.

And yes, as Eric mentioned, I did instal a simple, quite cheap, just manual up and down CruzPro chain counter, and absolutely loved it, and it didn't have any auto retrieve capability either, but it just worked..!

However, they also have quite reasonably priced fancier ones that do have auto retrieve, etc. https://www.bing.com/search?q=cruzpr...APMCS1&PC=APMC
Attached Thumbnails
0E0FB360-A016-4A70-AF89-28F12E977DD5.jpg