What trawler should I look at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trawlerdream

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Freyja
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Hi guys. I’m considering buying an trawler. The problem is I do not know anything about trawlers. Have been spending the last 50 years in sailboats.

Here is my needs:

Single screw trawler capable of doing 8-9 knots.

Comfortable for two people with opportunity to offer two guests a separate cabin for shorter visits.

No teakdeck

As I enjoy working on boats as much as actually using them a projekt boat could be of interest.

My budget is up to 150.000 USD.

What models should I be looking at?

A couple of questions. Do you want a real trawler or a wannabe trawler? Length? . What are your travel plans?

A couple of questions. Do you want a real trawler or a wannabe trawler? Length? . What are your travel plans?

I’m not sure what the difference is between real and wannabe?

My travel plans are inside passage Alaska and San Juan Islands in PNW.

Length: Not so important. As close to 32 feet as possible, but would not say no to 40 feet if budget allows. Fuel economy is important. I’m used to motor my 16 ton sailboat in 7 knots @ 1.2 gallon/hour.

I’m not sure what the difference is between real and wannabe?

My travel plans are inside passage Alaska and San Juan Islands in PNW.

Length: Not so important. As close to 32 feet as possible, but would not say no to 40 feet if budget allows. Fuel economy is important. I’m used to motor my 16 ton sailboat in 7 knots @ 1.2 gallon/hour.

8-9 knots cruise would militate against a 32 footer. Look longer. The old "hull speed" formula, not backed by all here, would give you a start. Or use this https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/hull-speed-calculator.php which is the same thing.

Last edited:
8-9 knots cruise would militate against a 32 footer. Look longer. The old "hull speed" formula, not backed by all here, would give you a start. Or use this https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/hull-speed-calculator.php which is the same thing.

Yep you are absolutely right. That I should have figured out myself:banghead:

So I think I rather go smaller and loose a knot or two.

The key thing is to have a second cabin for guests. Are there any trawlers under 36 feet with two cabins?

Yep you are absolutely right. That I should have figured out myself:banghead:

So I think I rather go smaller and loose a knot or two.

The key thing is to have a second cabin for guests. Are there any trawlers under 36 feet with two cabins?
There are a few 36 foot single engine trunk cabin trawlers without teak decks, some had the decks modified by previous owners. Try Monk or Albin. Careful on the fuel tanks - many are at the age where they need to be replaced. Not cheap.

Seems a Nordic Tugs 32 would fill the bill. PNW boat through and through. Lots of them in TW at/near your price point.

Most Monk 36s cruise comfortably between 6.5 and 7.0 knots with single 135 Perkins and Lehmans. GBs, Marine Traders and Albin 36 single engines boats about the same. Those with 6 cyl Cummins cruise about 7.0 - 7.5 knots. 42 footers cruise 7.5 - 8.0 knots. More with turbocharged engines if you can stand the fuel bills.

Last edited:
How does a Turbo Charged engine increase your fuel bill by any appreciable amount?

Cruising a 9 knots instead of 8 will.

I Still don’t understand how a TC engine increases the fuel bill?

I am not sure it will. In some cases it may be more efficient. But I am not an expert on thermodynamics.

Let's say you have an NA Lehman at 135hp. And then you had a Turbo Lehman at 225hp...both in the exact same theoretical boat. The question would be, would one burn more than the other at the exact same speed(let's say at a speed no more than 1.1xwaterline)????
My answer would be I don't know. BUT I would be willing to bet the difference would be very small. No if you get up to or over hull speed the turbo engine has the potential and ability to burn more fuel.

Please be careful of thread hijack.....

To the OP...your question is extremely broad. There are a lot of very decent, comfortable, safe boats in your price range. Me personally, if I was going to spend a good amount of time aboard, bigger is almost always better. You do start running into problems of single engine boat availability when you get close to 40 feet unless it is a "specialized" boat. I think the Mainship lines from 35-40 feet can be had for that price and represesent a pretty decent value. If you look outside of the "trawler" realm, there are boats like Carver that offer tremendous comfort and value...but those will be twin engines....the 356...406....440....445 all could be had for well under your price point in diesel and offer tons of space.

As far as what is a "real trawler", please use the search function. There have been NUMEROUS discussions on that subject and the answer to that question is....nobody knows....;) . Trawler is in the eye of the beholder(and the marketing department). What we mostly talk about on here is "cruising powerboats" and the lifestyle associated with them.

It's not the turbocharger that increases fuel consumption.
It's the added power that the turbocharger makes possible.
A small trawler may only have room for a NA diesel of moderate
output but a compact T/C diesel with, say, twice the HP in the
same footprint could increase the fuel consumption considerably.

As Baker said the Mainship 350/390 or 400 would fit your bill. Both are two stateroom boats, mostly single engines, no external teak. A lot of boat for the money. Even though Mainships say trawler right on the boat, the purists among us would say they are not as they are not full displacement boats. If you are familiar with the Cherubini line of blue water sailboats, John Cherubini designed the hulls on the Mainship 34 I II & III from the late 70's through the mid 80's (these are single stateroom boats) also the Mainship 36 & 40 Nantuckets (aft cabin trawlers) and the 350/390. I keep my boat next to the Cherubini factory and they use our marina to launch their boats.
John

A real trawler or a wannabe trawler?

Real is a full displacement hull.
Wannabe trawler is a semi displacement hull that is overpowered with respect to hull speed.

You guys crack me up with this "real" and "wannabee" stuff.

"You guys crack me up with this "real" and "wannabee" stuff."

The first question might be why a "trawler"?

In many cases "trawler" is simply the shape of the deck house , the same boat hull construction and outfitting can be found in other single engine displacement boats,with a different look.

AS many more cruisers are built than "trawlers" the interior design and functional use of the boat can be far better as so many are built there upgraded by owner demand .

"Trawler" sounds like a real heavy vessel with true offshore ability , but in 99% of the builds that is not realistic.

For the best luck in cruising , rather than repairing , a real GRP boat , no buried plywood in PH or deck might be best.

KISS!

Last edited:
Seems a Nordic Tugs 32 would fill the bill. PNW boat through and through. Lots of them in TW at/near your price point.

Thanks, Yes I did see Nordic Tugs 32 when I did the inside passage 20 years ago in my sailboat. Nice looking boat.

"You guys crack me up with this "real" and "wannabee" stuff."

The first question might be why a "trawler"?

In many cases "trawler" is simply the shape of the deck house , the same boat hull construction and outfitting can be found in other single engine displacement boats,with a different look.

AS many more cruisers are built than "trawlers" the interior design and functional use of the boat can be far better as so many are built there upgraded by owner demand .

"Trawler" sounds like a real heavy vessel with true offshore ability , but in 99% of the builds that is not realistic.

For the best luck in cruising , rather than repairing , a real GRP boat , no buried plywood in PH or deck might be best.

KISS!

Most single screw trawlers offers a little bit better protection for the prop and rudder. I alsolike the classical look of trawlers.

Offshore capabilities is not my concern. GRP for sure.

What models should I be looking at?

Look at ALL of them. Search Yachtworld.
Walk the docks, go to boat shows and get on the boats.
I think you would want larger than a 32' for liveaboard and guests.

Good Luck--enjoy the process, searching for the boat that jumps out at you.

Thanks. Boat Shows does not give me much as I’m not in the market for a new boat. I’m not planning to be a liveaboard. Max 6-7 weeks on the boat. But as I’m used to live 7 month/year on a 44 foot sailboat I do not think I need so much bigger than 32-36 going to power.

Accommodations for guests should not be to comfortable as the fish rule apply.

2 staterooms.... I think you are looking at a 40 ft.
Sadly, the way they now measure the length.... you might get by with a 38 ft WLL.
That no doubt will equate to at least a 40 ft length or maybe a 42 ft WLL

First off, Welcome to the Dark Side!

It sounds like you will be spending a lot of time on your boat and putting lot of miles under the keel. Go with a quality boat between 35 and 40. Closer to 40 would be best. Don't really look at age. There are some fantastic older Hatties and Bertrams out there. Definitely single engine, also approve of your dislike for teak. By going with a slightly older boat you will get an older engine, read "Less technology, easy to maintain yourself".

By the way..(and I really don't want to "tick" off anyone but here goes) Mainship are nice boats, but they are not GREAT, Not really built to last. They are more alone the lines of Bayliner, somewhere in the middle.

pete

Thanks, Yes I do understand the advantage of an older engine that do not have black boxes that only a authorized service technician with a laptop can access when **** happens. Against that we have the fact that it can be difficult to find spare parts for older engines.

I did see that you have an Albin. Nice boat.

The description for the Albin Group have gotten it wrong. Albin Marin the Swedish company had nothing to do with all those Albins that was built in the far east. Someone in the US (Albin dealer) did copy the Albin logo as it was not protected and started to market Albin boats built in far east. The only Albin Marin power boats built was Albin 21, 23, 25, 26, 27 Wynne and 30. They where built at the Albin Marin factory in Kristinehamn Sweden together with an even more successful sailboat production. How do I know this? I worked there. Albin Marin have not produced any boats after the went bust in the beginning of the 80:s.

Last edited:
Yes, I love my Albin. Taiwan Trawlers as they are known. Lots of them out there under various names. Mostly good boats, generally lots of teak and usually ready for fuel tank repair or replacement. Mine has all of the above. the tanks have been replaced and I am working on the teak (getting rid of it).

There was a recent thread from an older Albin owner lamenting the fact that he couldn't get a lot of info on his boat and nothing from the new factory. I don't think the new owners of the name even have much info. I suggested the Albin Owners Group.

If you don't mind the work, go with an Albin! They are great!

pete

It's not the turbocharger that increases fuel consumption.
It's the added power that the turbocharger makes possible.
A small trawler may only have room for a NA diesel of moderate
output but a compact T/C diesel with, say, twice the HP in the
same footprint could increase the fuel consumption considerably.

Go back and read High Wires original post, my reply, and his reply about moving the boat from 8 to 9 Kn. The statement that a TC will burn more fuel over a normally aspirated engine is not accurate in this context based on what I learned about TC’s 30 years ago when I worked on them. IE, more air charge, more fuel, but the required HP to move the boat is the same. I haven’t been inside one for along time, so I will defer to Ski or or the other diesel experts on here to correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Go back and read High Wires original post, my reply, and his reply about moving the boat from 8 to 9 Kn. The statement that a TC will burn more fuel over a normally aspirated engine is not accurate in this context based on what I learned about TC’s 30 years ago when I worked on them. IE, more air charge, more fuel, but the required HP to move the boat is the same. I haven’t been inside one for along time, so I will defer to Ski or or the other diesel experts on here to correct me if I am wrong.

Its not the mechanics of the turbo charged engine that leads to more fuel use. Its the operator. If you have extra HP available, its a rare bird that does not use it. How many TC powered boats overtake me at my 6.8 knots? Hundreds. That includes other Monk 36's with Cummins 5.9BTs. Their "sweet spot" is a full knot faster but at 3.0-3.5 GPH. So 2 MPG for Cummins vs 3 MPG for NA.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom