Anybody install Engine Room Temperature Sensors? DIY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

I was thinking that it would be nice to know what the temp is in the Engine area, maybe in 2 or 3 locations, just something to monitor while underway.

I was looking at NEMA 2000 temp units but they are about $100 each, plus the mains unit ,surely there is a more cost effective way to do this?

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028701|2380011&id=5531824

Any other ideas?

Jeff

You can buy Bluetooth temp measuring devices for around $20. Just search Amazon, many choices. Most of them record the temps and will keep weeks or months of data, which you can then look at, chart, or download to your phone.

I don't think it is necessary to monitor engine room temperatures routinely. Just check it once on a hot day to see what it is. There really isn't anything that is going to change that figure unless there is a catastrophic failure like an exhaust hose popping off. You should have other sensors like an exhaust gas temp alarm or a raw water flow alarm to deal with this.

An easy way to check engine room temperatures is a meat thermometer with a cable from the probe to the meter or some of them have wireless readouts so you can put the probe and readout anywhere.

David

I use a unit aboard from Radio Shack so you know it is a top notch unit.
It has been doing a fine job for ~ 10 years.
Most electronic stores will have something like that.
It uses up to two remote sensors plus reports its own temp. Get the second sensor and you can check another area without having to move anything.

Long enough ago I dont remember the price but I think about $30 for itself and the remote.

Attachments

• 1741.png
    1741.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 891
  • 1820.png
    1820.png
    19 KB · Views: 890
  • 1841.png
    1841.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 885
I put a Maretron TMP100 temperature monitor module in the boat and put a sensor in the engine room, pilot house, master berth, saloon, forward bilge, outside in cockpit. I can view it on the N2K View software and one the data bars on my Simrad plotter. When cruising the engine room temp is always on display.

Strictly for the ER, I'd say ambient air temperature is only one part of a larger picture. It seems to me that a better solution would be an infrared camera (or two) that would show me any "hot spots" which might develop in the equipment. I'm thinking of re-purposing a home security camera on which the IR LEDs have failed. Now it only picks up ambient IR, which is exactly what I'd want in the ER.

You can get thermometers on eBay for about $10 and long thermocouple probes for $3

I use a unit aboard from Radio Shack so you know it is a top notch unit.
It has been doing a fine job for ~ 10 years.
Most electronic stores will have something like that.
It uses up to two remote sensors plus reports its own temp. Get the second sensor and you can check another area without having to move anything.

Long enough ago I dont remember the price but I think about $30 for itself and the remote.

haha I used the same system for about a dozen years on my old Navigator. Nothing elegant and you gotta change the batteries once in a while. But its always there in your instrument bundle and at a glance you see what happening. Again, not elegant but functional.

Single F.L. 120. The engine room really doesn't get very warm. It is insulated but there must be good air flow. It will keep the main cabin warm on a cold run but opening the hatch doesn't give me a blast of hot air. The engine room heats up a bit when I shut down the engine but although I have never measured it I'm sure it doesn't get over about 80 some degrees.

I kind of like the idea of a thermometer down there though. I would NOT put the display on the dash though. Maybe a simple display where a glance would confirm temp. I absolutely HATE boats which have a helm so cluttered with gauges you can't really tell what your engine is doing with a quick glance.

I have seen boats with so many gauges there is barely any line of sight. Really, do you need to monitor the exhaust temp at four or five locations? For each engine!?

pete

I kind of like the idea of a thermometer down there though. I would NOT put the display on the dash though. Maybe a simple display where a glance would confirm temp. I absolutely HATE boats which have a helm so cluttered with gauges you can't really tell what your engine is doing with a quick glance.

I have seen boats with so many gauges there is barely any line of sight. Really, do you need to monitor the exhaust temp at four or five locations? For each engine!?

Agreed. That and I greatly prefer analog needles for regularly monitored data (even on digital displays). Easier to scan the needles to see if anything's off their normal position than to have to stop and think what a digital number means for each one of them. Now, modern displays with the ability to color code for ranges is an improvement, and bars are often a good space-saving alternative to a dial.

But there is such thing as information overload. If you're going to monitor stuff like this give serious consideration to how much data you NEED to have in front of you while operating the boat. And don't get trapped by the limits of what you've got. At some point it's better to rip-and-replace with a fresh design than it is to just keep tacking extra stuff on.

Don't let the bells and whistles distract you from the really important details.

Update-

So I bought this new from eBay for $100...

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1841/M2_OLED_Temperature_Monitor

seems pretty good as it will match my other Blue Sea Battery Monitor display....

So the 4 sensors that come with it, I was thinking this-

One for the genset enclosure (since I have to generator indicates whatsoever)
One for the Engine Alternator ??
One for the Engine transmission
One for the Main Cabin..

All mounted externally of course.

Any other ideas as to what to to monitor besides these?

Thanks

I just look

Hello,

I was thinking that it would be nice to know what the temp is in the Engine area, maybe in 2 or 3 locations, just something to monitor while underway.

I was looking at NEMA 2000 temp units but they are about $100 each, plus the mains unit ,surely there is a more cost effective way to do this?

Any other ideas?

Jeff

At my magnum battery charger interface. I figure batteries reflect engine room temp.

I had to replace the speed wheel/water temp transducer when replacing my chart plotter. Speed wheel didn’t work but temp sensor did so I hung it on ceiling of engine room and my tridata now gives me ER temp. New chart plotter gives me speed and water temp now.

Project update-

Finished this little project this weekend, pretty happy with the results, hardest part was running the wiring.

Here is a picture of the display and a picture of the temp sensors, one on the alternator and one on the transmission...

As for the other 2, one is on the autopilot pump and the last one is inside the housing of the genset....

Just something to keep an eye on for trends etc...

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions..

Attachments

• IMG_20200223_083505.jpg
    IMG_20200223_083505.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20200222_192410676.jpg
    IMG_20200222_192410676.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200222_192458168.jpg
    IMG_20200222_192458168.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 53
Project update-

Finished this little project this weekend, pretty happy with the results, hardest part was running the wiring.

Here is a picture of the display and a picture of the temp sensors, one on the alternator and one on the transmission...

As for the other 2, one is on the autopilot pump and the last one is inside the housing of the genset....

Just something to keep an eye on for trends etc...

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions..
Could a sensor be placed on exhaust? After the water injection, should not exceed 165F or so. Also, is there an audible alarm for this installed sensors?

Thanks in advance

Peter

It was an ebay deal...new old stock...got super lucky...

Nice unit. 80db alarm set at user threshold. About $260 USD at multiple outlets in US. Nice setup.

Hello,

Any other ideas?

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I wrote an article For Pacific Yachting on how to make a multiple input temp sensor for about $50, if you're interested. At the time it generated a lot of feedback. Send me an email at rickhudson at shaw.ca and I'll send it to you.
RH

$216 + shipping from Minnesota

It was an ebay deal...new old stock...got super lucky...

Best price found from Compudation in Minnesota, $216 + $23 shipping to Washington state and $20 state tax. Shipping prices in US have risen steeply lately.

Update-

So I bought this new from eBay for $100...

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1841/M2_OLED_Temperature_Monitor

seems pretty good as it will match my other Blue Sea Battery Monitor display....

So the 4 sensors that come with it, I was thinking this-

One for the genset enclosure (since I have to generator indicates whatsoever)
One for the Engine Alternator ??
One for the Engine transmission
One for the Main Cabin..

All mounted externally of course.

Any other ideas as to what to to monitor besides these?

Thanks
Exhaust elbow?

Exhaust elbow?
Definitely. Steve d Antonio article he recently attached to a TF thread recommended a temp sensor/alarm just after the mixing elbow, zip-tied to the flex hose. He suggested an alarm threshold of 165 F. Apparently, detection is very fast in event of impellor disintegration. One for each engine and gen exhaust makes sense to me.

I've been preparing to install an exhaust temp alarm, but discussions with several experienced mechanics convinced me of the wisdom of a raw water flow alarm as being earlier in the mishap chain. Here is their recommendation: https://aqualarm.net/cooling-water-...ur-engine-kit-1-and-114-hose-12-volt-p-5.html

The second you get the slightest reduction in flow be it impellers, weed, jellyfish, fairies your raw water elbow increases in temp.

Simple logic.

$12 alarms all over the interwebs.

Back
Top Bottom