Norfolk, VA to Carrabelle, FL March-May 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
We have been asked to bring a friend's vessel home after 18 months of its being marooned in Norfolk. He is too busy to git-r-dun. We have never cruised the AICW south of Norfolk, but once at Stuart, FL we are in quite familiar waters.
The vessel is a custom built trawler 55-feet long, 5.5 foot draft, 19 foot beam, 55 tons, powered by a single John Deere. The bow thruster and stabilizers and windlass are hydraulic powered off the Deere.
I have ridden the vessel for a day once several years back and also installed the Garmin chart plotter and interfaced it with the Robertson AP a few years back. So I am not unfamiliar with it.
The owner intends to splash it on 13 March at Cobbs Marina in Little Creek basin and conduct sea trials to check out the engine work and basically everything else with another friend of ours who has extensive knowledge of the vessel. I wrote the trials plan for them to follow from flares to reefer and from anchor light to prop.
We will arrive in Norfolk the following week for a two-day turnover before the owner must depart on March 21st and oversee any remaining trials and repairs before departing.
While not in any hurry, we will make open ocean passages as they present themselves with excellent weather.
See ya on the waters.

Attachments

• DSC00818.jpg
    DSC00818.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 184
good wx prevailing, no reason not to be outside as long as you have watchstanders, Looks like a capable coastal cruiser.

Don't want t completely miss the AICW, but with 5.5 foot draft...... We'll probably only load half the fuel for the first part of the trip. Capacity is 2000 gallons.

If you need some help Rich, let me know. Have done that trip a few times in a similarly sized and draft boat. Are you going to be in a hurry?

Sounds like a lot of fun. You have certainly given yourselves enough time!

Did the Norfolk to FL run in 2018. Sadly because of the weather had to do it all inside coming back.

Managed the upwards JAX to Beaufort outside though in flat calm.

5.5 draft isn't going to restrict you anywhere on the ICW... just pay more attention south of Charleston.

I've done that entire stretch several times (other than crossing from Tarpon Springs to Carrabelle). As mentioned, 5 1/2' will only impact you between Charleston and the Florida line. Many of the historically troublesome areas have been dredged in the last couple of years. At most, there are a few areas best avoided at the bottom 1/3 of the tidal range. With the exception of the Gulf of Mexico, there probably aren't any areas you can't transit with less than 30+ knot winds. Some of the sounds may get uncomfortable with their short period steep waves, but that's comfort not safety.

I'll be leaving Fort Myers end of March for Chesapeake bay. While I'm sure you have this all mapped out, if you need any information on specific areas or anchorages, don't hesitate to reach out.

Hope to see you along the way!

Ted

Last edited:
If you need some help Rich, let me know. Have done that trip a few times in a similarly sized and draft boat. Are you going to be in a hurry?

Thanks for the offer. We do not plan to hurry.

Sounds like a lot of fun. You have certainly given yourselves enough time!

Did the Norfolk to FL run in 2018. Sadly because of the weather had to do it all inside coming back.

Managed the upwards JAX to Beaufort outside though in flat calm.

A flat calm would be great. The admiral is not what I would call the best of sailors.

5.5 draft isn't going to restrict you anywhere on the ICW... just pay more attention south of Charleston.

As long as an offshore wind doesn't blow all the water out at a low tide around Shem Creek. The owner ran aground there going up.

I've done that entire stretch several times (other than crossing from Tarpon Springs to Carrabelle). As mentioned, 5 1/2' will only impact you between Charleston and the Florida line. Many of the historically troublesome areas have been dredged in the last couple of years. At most, there are a few areas best avoided at the bottom 1/3 of the tidal range. With the exception of the Gulf of Mexico, there probably aren't any areas you can't transit with less than 30+ knot winds. Some of the sounds may get uncomfortable with their short period steep waves, but that's comfort not safety.

I'll be leaving Fort Myers end of March for Chesapeake bay. While I'm sure you have this all mapped out, if you need any information on specific areas or anchorages, don't hesitate to reach out.

Hope to see you along the way!

Ted

I am guessing the Lake O route across the state will be viable with adequate water levels that time of year. Otherwise, around we go through Florida Bay, and frankly there are some areas along the inner keys I was close in a 4-foot draft and would rather avoid in this one.
I'll try to keep up with our progress here, but don't want to get too entangled with a keyboard at the end of every day. I keep family and friends updated on our cruisinthrough blogspot. So maybe we'll meet along the way. Thanks for the offer; we may well be asking about marinas etc.
BTW, there are 149 bridges between us and home, and we can clear anything 20 feet or above with the mast down. Owner says it is a one-man job.

This trip will leave only the Hudson and connections to the Trent Severn as the only parts of the Great Loop I have not traveled. Maybe I need to find another delivery going that way.:eek:

I am guessing the Lake O route across the state will be viable with adequate water levels that time of year. Otherwise, around we go through Florida Bay, and frankly there are some areas along the inner keys I was close in a 4-foot draft and would rather avoid in this one.
I'll try to keep up with our progress here, but don't want to get too entangled with a keyboard at the end of every day. I keep family and friends updated on our cruisinthrough blogspot. So maybe we'll meet along the way. Thanks for the offer; we may well be asking about marinas etc.
BTW, there are 149 bridges between us and home, and we can clear anything 20 feet or above with the mast down. Owner says it is a one-man job.
Between Norfolk and Fort Myers there are around 20 bridges I usually need to get opened for my 15' air draft (this assumes the normally open railroad bridges are open), for a 20' air draft, that number will be more but not doubled. Make sure you have updated bridge information. In the last 5 years, 10 to 15 bridges have been replaced with taller ones or eliminated. Important to have a good source for bridge tender information such as Waterway Guide or Active Captain. While getting the correct channel for the state bridges is pretty easy, some of the railroad bridges are remotely opened and use a different channel. Sometimes the tenders will leave a normally open bridge closed if they don't think there is any boat traffic.

Ted

Between Norfolk and Fort Myers there are around 20 bridges I usually need to get opened for my 15' air draft (this assumes the normally open railroad bridges are open), for a 20' air draft, that number will be more but not doubled. Make sure you have updated bridge information. In the last 5 years, 10 to 15 bridges have been replaced with taller ones or eliminated. Important to have a good source for bridge tender information such as Waterway Guide or Active Captain. While getting the correct channel for the state bridges is pretty easy, some of the railroad bridges are remotely opened and use a different channel. Sometimes the tenders will leave a normally open bridge closed if they don't think there is any boat traffic.

Ted

Excellent insight. I have an Excel file I generated by "flying" the whole route in CE with Active Captain and WW Guide looking at every single bridge noting its schedule, mile mark, height, phone, distance between bridges, etc. I did this for the 1400 mile trip up the rivers to Lake Michigan in 2017 and had it printed and next to the chartplotters. There were few surprises, but as you say, you must be vigilant. Happy to share my efforts with anybody who wants a copy. Just ask at richgano@gmail.com. Hopefully, I won't be seeing all of them but will correct any errors I see.

There are a few bridges that have had their schedules changed in the last couple years.

The George Musson in New Smyrna Beach, Fl and the North Causeway in Ft Pierce, Fl were changed from 20 minute draws to half hour draws. Not sure if the guides have been updated.

There may be more....

Also, I believe the draw in Surf City. NC is now a 65'er.

My air draft is 23, and there are a load of bridges it seems that at a half tide or lower, and or a higher center clearance...I can make it. But it's a little stressful if my timing was a bit off with a following tide and the tide gauge is unreadable, or missing and the tender won't give any info. The first year I lowered my mast below Palm Beach because of all the bridges....but after one run of the timed openings and so many other boats requesting opening, I have bothered since.

Last edited:

Thanks for that. I am going to study it at length with CE on the dual screen and mark that route on CE to have it handy anytime the weax permits outside running. I can do the math using the departure and arrival times times once plotted in CE, but do you think we are talking 8 knots +/-? With a hug pilothouse equipped with its own reefer and a high bunk behind the helm, we can run over night with the admiral doing 2-3 hours at a time at the helm at night and longer in daylight. We can sustain that for easily 48 hours in really go weax. Otherwise, the ditch in daylight only.

There are a few bridges that have had their schedules changed in the last couple years.

The George Musson in New Smyrna Beach, Fl and the North Causeway in Ft Pierce, Fl were changed from 20 minute draws to half hour draws. Not sure if the guides have been updated.

There may be more....

Also, I believe the draw in Surf City. NC is now a 65'er.

My air draft is 23, and there are a load of bridges it seems that at a half tide or lower, and or a higher center clearance...I can make it. But it's a little stressful if my timing was a bit off with a following tide and the tide gauge is unreadable, or missing and the tender won't give any info. The first year I lowered my mast below Palm Beach because of all the bridges....but after one run of the timed openings and so many other boats requesting opening, I have bothered since.

I will enter that info today. I remember going through downtown Chicago in '17 with an air draft soooo close to those numerous bridges. Standing on the flying bride seats, I could touch them. Nervous barely describes the feeling. With this hefer, I will not be nearly so daring.

If you're a FaceBook kinda person, the group ICW Cruising Guide by Bob423 is a great resource, as are the actual guide he publishes, as well as the blog and tracks/routes he and his wife provide based on their many runs up and down the ditch.

We will arrive in Norfolk the following week for a two-day turnover before the owner must depart on March 21st and oversee any remaining trials and repairs before departing.

Might pass, sometime along then. We start back north circa 4 March. Happy to kibitz if there are any of the touchy places you want info about.

Can't remember if you've followed some of the AquaMap discussions, but we did find the USACE survey overlays very useful on our southbound trip in Nov.

-Chris

I will enter that info today. I remember going through downtown Chicago in '17 with an air draft soooo close to those numerous bridges. Standing on the flying bride seats, I could touch them. Nervous barely describes the feeling. With this hefer, I will not be nearly so daring.

OK, my CE/AC data is up to date with your comments on the Surf City Br being 65' and the schedule of the bridge in New Smyrna. Good to know it's all working together.

Might pass, sometime along then. We start back north circa 4 March. Happy to kibitz if there are any of the touchy places you want info about.

Can't remember if you've followed some of the AquaMap discussions, but we did find the USACE survey overlays very useful on our southbound trip in Nov.

-Chris

In order to inform any who are interested in our boating adventures, especially or non-aquatic family and friends, I have placed the information on daily goings on our blog at www.cruisin'through.blospot.com. That saves them from having to sign into or navigate places like this forum in which I will try to note any significant events, but here the info will be sparser. Between the two, there should be enough info to track us and kibitz.

If you're a FaceBook kinda person, the group ICW Cruising Guide by Bob423 is a great resource, as are the actual guide he publishes, as well as the blog and tracks/routes he and his wife provide based on their many runs up and down the ditch.

Thank you very much, and I have turned that over to my designated FB hitter.

the link did not work for me

Let me work on the link issue.

www.cruisinthrough.blogspot.com I boobooed an put an apostrophe in before. This seems to work from here. This is blog I reactivate whenever we are cruising, and has trips form some years back.

Last edited:
North of Charleston, SC behind Isle of Palms was the shallowest that we hit on our trip last spring. 3.6 ft at low tide dead center of the ICW. It just worked out low tides occurred around late morning the week we transited. Fortunately it was very soft and we pushed through it at idle speed. On our way south we went through at high tide no problem. With a draft of 5.5 ft you should travel during the top half of tides in SC and GA. Good news is a lot of dredging work on problem areas was done in 2019.
FWIW we set the shallow water depth alarm at 7-7.5 ft with a 4.0 foot draft. Less than that you are not in the channel. That setting gives you time to respond to the alarm before you bump with minimal false alarms. A little bit of help lets you get off pretty easily. Once back in FL we set at 6.0 ft.

Last edited:
I asked the owner if he had any groundings going north, and that spot behind the Isle of Palms was the only one. One nice thing about this boat is the keel cooling for both generators and the main engine. Mud plowing should be no problem if it happens.

Believe they were dredging back behind Isle of Palms last fall.

They should be all done with the dredging all the way past McClellanville. That project toolthe better part of 2 years.

Ted

Believe they were dredging back behind Isle of Palms last fall.

They should be all done with the dredging all the way past McClellanville. That project toolthe better part of 2 years.

Ted

The news just gets better and better. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom