You know you've made it when ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toki

Vessel Name
Toki
Vessel Make
Ranger 27
For whatever reason, dinghies crossed my mind today, and I'm reminded of something I witnessed a couple years ago ...

On a week long trip through the San Juan Islands, as we made our way toward Rosario Resort we saw this ENORMOUS absolutely hideous yacht anchored out. Must have been well over 300', and looked like a submarine on steroids. Well, as we were getting settled on our mooring ball, a huge hatch opened on the side of the yacht and this gleaming ~30' tender rolled out and onto the water. And on the back of this tender was ... another smaller tender!

So there you have it boys and girls. You may think you're doing OK, but until you stack your tenders you're still in the minor leagues. My goal: to have a tender on my tender's tender.

Having a lot of money doesn’t mean that you have enough sense to buy a boat with good lines...

For whatever reason, dinghies crossed my mind today, and I'm reminded of something I witnessed a couple years ago ...

On a week long trip through the San Juan Islands, as we made our way toward Rosario Resort we saw this ENORMOUS absolutely hideous yacht anchored out. Must have been well over 300', and looked like a submarine on steroids. Well, as we were getting settled on our mooring ball, a huge hatch opened on the side of the yacht and this gleaming ~30' tender rolled out and onto the water. And on the back of this tender was ... another smaller tender!

So there you have it boys and girls. You may think you're doing OK, but until you stack your tenders you're still in the minor leagues. My goal: to have a tender on my tender's tender.

Does the inflatable I used to stack on top of the hard dinghy on the aft cabin top of my GB42 count?:)

I don't know Rich, we may have to defer to the ruling committee on that one. I mean, I've towed a kayak behind my inflatable, so who knows, maybe I've "made it".

Hey, we have boats so to some extent we have all made it.

Having a lot of money doesn’t mean that you have enough sense to buy a boat with good lines...

God, isn't this the truth. The two things seem to be inversely proportionate to each other.

Formerly belonged to Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Last edited:
Funny people are commenting on boat looks....it's an opinion and maybe they would be surprised at what people think of their boat profiles....

Funny people are commenting on boat looks....it's an opinion and maybe they would be surprised at what people think of their boat profiles....

Hey now, I resemble that remark!

Can you imagine waiting in line behind him at the fuel dock while he loads up 200,000 gallons!

Can you imagine waiting in line behind him at the fuel dock while he loads up 200,000 gallons!

Fuel for yachts like that arrives in trucks while they're in port tied up. that said, there's limited marinas that can accommodate them. Tying up between the container ships is less romantic.

Fuel for yachts like that arrives in trucks while they're in port tied up. that said, there's limited marinas that can accommodate them. Tying up between the container ships is less romantic.

There was a scam going on a MIA airport for awhile. The group would sample the fuel coming into the airport in the tanker trucks. They would "find" that a fuel load was contaminated with water and reject the delivery. They would then send the the truck to "dispose" of the fuel. They did that by selling it to superyacht owners at a steep discount.

I once saw a large yacht with a 40' power boat carried as a tender on one side and a 40' sail boat as the tender on the other side.

Hey now, I resemble that remark!

I've actually seen the thing. While staying with a French friend I made via this forum, at his place on the French Riviera, he took us all over the region. Amazing hospitatlity. During the time there at one Marina I'm sure that boat was moored there. It's pretty distinctive. Actually, while we loved the experience, before long I was glad to leave those marinas - all those super-yachts and the money that the place reeked with made me feel quite intherior...just saying'...

typo intended - returning serve to Toki... :D

We had our boat tied to a transient dock in Portsmouth, NH last Summer for a dinner downtown with friends on a Saturday night and a brunch with other friends on Sunday morning. When we were walking back to the boat after dinner we stopped at spot that overlooks the river and our boat, to admire the view (not just the boat, it was a perfect Summer evening). There was a group of three couples at the same overlook and we overheard them talking about our boat. A woman in the group described our boat as "too "oceany"". I thought it was pretty funny. I love the salty lines on my boat. The attached photo was taken during the described event.

Attachments

• portsmouth.jpg
    portsmouth.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Typical fuel dock would not have the necessary flow capacity. At 10 gallons per minute, it would take almost two weeks to fill. That thing needs to fuel up where ships fuel up.

I had the same feeling on my first cruise to the Bahamas, when I came up on a 150 foot yacht, towing a forty something foot sport fisherman. :D

There was a scam going on a MIA airport for awhile. The group would sample the fuel coming into the airport in the tanker trucks. They would "find" that a fuel load was contaminated with water and reject the delivery. They would then send the the truck to "dispose" of the fuel. They did that by selling it to superyacht owners at a steep discount.

Airports are fertile feeding grounds for scams of all sorts. Lots of activity, massive volume and cash flow, but spread out with lots of corners where no one is looking.

In a merger, and resulting inventory, of two airlines in the late 80's I recall management choking on their beignets when they were informed we were "missing" 13 engines..... yes, large jet engines, at a cost of many millions.

I once saw a large yacht with a 40' power boat carried as a tender on one side and a 40' sail boat as the tender on the other side.

Years back I rented a small center console and cruised around Portifino. Anchored just outside the harbor was Le Grand Bleu, a huge yacht owned then by Craig McCaw (cellular pioneer). On deck was a beautiful 70+' power yacht. But oddly there was a large mast on it. Boated around to the other side and there was a custom 70+' sailboat on the starboard side.

At that point I was feeling a bit like an underachiever...

Anecdotal: The wife doesn’t like the 100 ft boat parked in front of the water front home because it blocks the view from inside the house.

I think “A” is a beautiful looking boat, it’s just not traditional that’s all. For an axe bow vessel I think the designer got the proportions just right. For a look at a boat where they got it wrong google her companion ship the S/V “a”. I am assuming it was done by a different team:
https://images.app.goo.gl/JsVkx4CM1yJBnqAJ7

Last edited:
Inverse

Speaking of the inverse, a very smart friend once told me “the pleasure you derive from a vessel is frequently inversely proportional to its length”
Pretty much true as I moved from a 12 foot aluminum with three horse motor to 42 foot motoryacht with twin diesels and a generator

Speaking of the inverse, a very smart friend once told me “the pleasure you derive from a vessel is frequently inversely proportional to its length”
Pretty much true as I moved from a 12 foot aluminum with three horse motor to 42 foot motoryacht with twin diesels and a generator

If you are saying the derived pleasure increases with the length of the boat, then the relationship is directly proportional not inversely.

If Pleasure = 1 / Length : as you state, then a smaller boat would increase the pleasure factor.

You know you've made when ......

the first thing you see every morning is the smile of the most beautiful woman on the planet.

Your grandaughter snuggles in and says "I love you papa".

Your son calls and says "I was just made Dean".

When your other son calls and says "I was just made Principal"

When you come into a little windfall and can't think of a thing to spend it on.

When you fall asleep every night with a smile.

You know you've got it made when ...

The first thing you see every morning is daylight.
Your son calls and says "I need a little cash for bail"
Your other son calls and say "I just got out of rehab, can you pick me up"
You come into a little windfall and realize it will just about cover all the boots your wife just bought.

When you fall asleep every night thinking about the next waypoint.

You know you've got it made when ...

The first thing you see every morning is daylight.
Your son calls and says "I need a little cash for bail"
Your other son calls and say "I just got out of rehab, can you pick me up"
You come into a little windfall and realize it will just about cover all the boots your wife just bought.

When you fall asleep every night thinking about the next waypoint.

:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom