Beaufort, SC -- any folks familiar with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Medic

Vessel Name
Mimi's Oasis
Vessel Make
North Pacific 49
My boat will be home ported in Hilton Head, SC for at least one year, and maybe two. One of the options for visiting locally is Beaufort, SC which is about a 4 hour trip from our marina.

If anyone has anything to say about Beaufort I would appreciate it.

My wife and I like "quaint", "antebellum", and places like that. Not so much the big cities. Also would like info on Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC.

Thank you...Medic

I spent several days there on my way south in the sailboat in 2011. We enjoyed the town. The marina is right in the middle of it. No supermarkets nearby but lots of restaurants.

Beaufort, SC is a charming town. As noted above the city marina is right in the middle of downtown with lots of restaurants on Bay Street. Walk through the "Old Point" to find antebellum, quaint houses, originally built by the movers and shakers of a couple of centuries ago.

David

We stay over there about 4 x each year. Some good restaurants (try Wren); can walk the historic residential district; and much colonial (Spanish, French, British) in the area. Town marina is convenient to enjoy the bay front. Other marinas nearby also.
Need service? Marsh Harbor boat yard will do you right.

We’re based in Charleston, and keep our boat there spring to fall. PM to contact us for Charleston info.

We stop in Savannah about once yearly. Quite a few marina options there based on interests and preferred distance to the riverfront.

The SC coast , Savannah to NC, is an extraordinary cruising ground-particularly if you enjoy nature’s wide marsh vistas, tranquility, and wildlife. Oh, and an occasional bump in the pluff mud with your keel........

It's quaint but just OK.

Frankly I would look to taking some trips to Charleston, St Simon's, and even perhaps Bald Head if you want to venture that far.
Savannah is also a great trip, just stay out of the low country heat months. We took a trip to Savannah and Charleston in July and found it stifling - much hotter that JAX at the same time. probably because we are on a peninsula.

I have a good number of posts on that area on the web site (St Simon's, Hilton Head, Savannah, Bald Head etc.).

Have a look.

JAX to Hilton Head and Savannah.

Nine Days On The South East Coast | AtAnchor.com

From JAX to the Chesapeake, St Simon's, Hilton Head, Bald Head, Wrightsville Beach, all the way to the Bay.

Chesapeake! The Outside Run – With a Ton Of Fun Along The Way! | AtAnchor.com

And running back inside.

South Carolina, Georgia, and Home! | AtAnchor.com

Enjoy your stay and trips!

I can recommend a local boatyard there in Beaufort, Marsh Harbor is a great boat yard that lets you do your own work (wink)....there are mooring balls and a good anchorage area there close to the recently acquired marina there now called Safe Harbor Marina....

Hilton Head

I live in Hilton Head although not raised there but in and out since 1963. , would like to meet up and discuss all your opportunities. What marina will you be home porting out of. I'm in George Town (yes turns out it is two words) Bahamas but returning home by air for the month of march plus a little. Look forward to meeting you.- George

Feel free to message me with any questions or recommendations. Although both my wife and I are from the Midwest and Northeast, we have lived in Charleston, SC Since 1989, Prior to that we lived on Fripp Island, a few minutes from Beaufort, SC. My Family has had a Summer home on St. Helena Island since the mid 1940’s so I am quite familiar with the area.

Also would like info on Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC.

GO!!! They are both wonderful cities. We love them both.

Walking Tour

Stop in at the City of Beaufort Marina. Tell them you heard there is a really good walking tour conducted by a man named “John”. They will give you his telephone number. You’ll hear about the history of the town, the people who lived there, and a few wonderful stories about the characters. Well worth it.

tlaw7

Back
Top Bottom