Remove carpeting from floor, forward berth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtrawlerowner

Vessel Name
PartnerShip II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 400
Has anyone removed the carpeting on the floor from the forward and guest berth? How hard and what did you put in its place? I'm thinking of using a teak and holly laminate.

Hardest part will likely be removing the carpet and preping.
Lots of alternatives depending on the look you prefer and amount of work you are willing to undertake.
See the following for details & pics of what I decided on and did. We love the padding under the flooring as it gives a nice feel underfoot.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46119

It depends on how the carpet was installed, was it glued down or just tacked or stapled down? If it was glued down it will be a lot more work to get it up and clean the glue residue off. Stapled down it will be pretty easy to get it up.

We did ours and it was a mess. It was both stapled and glued. The glue had to be taken up before the new teak and Holly laminate could be installed. We ended up hiring it out to be done because it was so much work on our hands and knees. Also trimming the teak and Holly laminate was difficult in small areas.

I am currently doing the same. The previous owner had replaced the carpet with new carpet and I am sure it was more difficult for him to remove the old original than it was for me to remove his. That being said, there were tons of remaining staples I had to remove and clumps of hardened glue that was stuck to the plywood sole

I put down a 5 mm subfloor to even things out and was able to make the hatches symmetrical. I went with the faux teak and holly for the combined benefit of insulation and a soft feel for the feet. It isn't perfect but looks much better than what was there. Process is a little time consuming, I make templates first and then cut the faux teak & holly. I am anxious to get the salon completed. A couple pics of my progress.

Attachments

• vberth.jpg
    vberth.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 55
  • galleyfloor.jpg
    galleyfloor.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 50
My Willard 36 had carpet when i bought her 20+ years ago. I replaced the carpet with teak parquet. Removing the carpet was easy. Installing the teak took a while and was very detailed work. If I remember correctly, of 100 sf of parquet, only 4 or 5 went in without trimming. Plus the hatch openings needed trim pieces. Glad I did it, but I probably had 40 hours into by time I was done.

I am currently doing the same. The previous owner had replaced the carpet with new carpet and I am sure it was more difficult for him to remove the old original than it was for me to remove his. That being said, there were tons of remaining staples I had to remove and clumps of hardened glue that was stuck to the plywood sole

I put down a 5 mm subfloor to even things out and was able to make the hatches symmetrical. I went with the faux teak and holly for the combined benefit of insulation and a soft feel for the feet. It isn't perfect but looks much better than what was there. Process is a little time consuming, I make templates first and then cut the faux teak & holly. I am anxious to get the salon completed. A couple pics of my progress.

It looks very nice so far. What did you use for the teak and holly?

It looks very nice so far. What did you use for the teak and holly?

It is a faux EVA teak decking. It is a 2nd generation with beveled edges. It comes in either sheets or planks, I chose the sheets, its 8 foot by 3 foot, 6 mm thick and the adhesive backing is made by 3m. I had my doubts about the adhesive backing so I made three test planks, left one in the back of my Station wagon to bake in 130+ temps, another I stuck in my chest freezer for a few days and one I left out on the back patio to suffer in the sun, rain. All three had zero issues with adhesion , it took the use of a metal paint scrapper to peel up a corner so I could peel them away from the test planks. Even then, pieces of wood were torn away with the faux decking.

Eva

Sounds like you were very thorough on the testing of the EVA. I've seen it installed in some other boats and it looks great! Especially compared to the carpet in the boat that I have been looking at. There seem to be a number of manufacturers out there. Where did you get the product that you installed?

It depends on how the carpet was installed......... Stapled down it will be pretty easy to get it up.
Ours was stapled and as you say, it was super easy to remove. So easy, we decided to stick with carpeting and have it cleaned every so often. :dance:

Attachments

• Carpet removed.jpg
    Carpet removed.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 23
  • New carpet.jpg
    New carpet.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 21
It is a faux EVA teak decking. It is a 2nd generation with beveled edges. It comes in either sheets or planks,

Can you say what the manufacturer and product name is that you used? Thanks.

It is a faux EVA teak decking. It is a 2nd generation with beveled edges. It comes in either sheets or planks,

Can you say what the manufacturer and product name is that you used? Thanks.

At this time I can not recommend the Eva teak, after 5 months I have issues with staining. I paid about $700 for the material shown in the pictures and for that price, I expected more stain resistance. I have contacted the seller and to date do not have a satisfactory answer. It is not very noticeable, but not what I expected nor what they advertised.

We have SeaDek on the steps to our flybridge for the last 4 years and it has held up well and doesn’t seem to stain. Any stains that have been on it just wash off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom