Carib customs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
If one wishes to island hop from Puerto Rico to Granada; how many customs visits are required?

I’ll reply since no one else has. It depends on the number of countries you stop in...not trying to be a d*$k. We stopped at way more coming north then going south. Generally all the Eastern Caribbean countries are cheap (less then $50) with the French and Dutch being cheapest. USVI & BVI moorings add up quick (limited allowable anchoring).

You have to check in and out of each country that you visit. So it really depends on how many islands you visit, and how many you skip, as you "hop" down the islands.

I suppose my real question should be: stopping at every inhabited island from the virgins to Grenada, how many customs opportunities are there?

Don't know if I'd call the "opportunities" but you will have to do customs at every island group. Noonsite.org is your go to to check the customs requirements for every Island group.

That’s a good site, thank you. Its a .com though.

They list 30 countries total for carib.

And that's 30 times you have to check in and out. Most of them don't charge much, but it adds up if you do, as we did, the chain in one season. Both in terms of time and money. Average time I would say was 4 hours times 30 check-ins. An investment in time if you plan a 7 month season.
Pick your favorite dreams and do em'. You are not going to see everything in every island in one cruising season. And if you try, you will be seeing customs officials instead of natural and cultural eye bombs.

Back
Top Bottom