View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #10
firehoser75
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Slowmo and Doug (Waterford) are correct. You can't have it both ways. Either a longer drive by car to the marina or 1-2 days travel time on the water if the San Juan's and north is your anticipated cruising grounds and you travel at approx. 7 knots.
Based on many comments from other topics recently, it appears that alot of the marinas in the north end of the Sound (or San Juan area) have wait lists for moorage. eg. Anacortes

I would suggest that you consider Blaine, Semiahoo, or Point Roberts marinas. Point Roberts (I used to moor there several years ago) has full fuel services, a small chandlery, restaurant, travel lift, repair services, and parking, etc. but it requires driving around through Canada to enter the small penninsula by land. It is an additional 45 minutes drive from Blaine, plus border crossing time. I know Point Roberts has space available and is a well protected marina with a Custom's dock. It is 10 nautical miles closer to most cruising grounds (San Juans' and Gulf Islands) when compared to Blaine or Semiahoo.
Not everyone's "cup of tea", but may be worth considering (especially since they have space available).