Time for an interior update.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
Well as the varnish is still drying.. We decided to reupholster a lot of the interior. We found a source for new mattresses in the V-birth and bunks. After a month of kicking around fabric choices we (she) decided on what would look best in our vintage egg harbor. Going with new mattress, new covers, new couch and new curtains. All material is coming from sailright. They cost a bit, but the quality always seams to be there! We took everything off the boat yesterday and I looked like a hobo moving ! This will be a joint project for us, she can sew straight, I can run a commercial machine ok. Were excited for the update and plan to do the countertops soon. Still on the fence on what we are going to do with the carpet. I would like to replace all of it with holly/teak. But the cost is high and my craftsmanship is not all that great with wood work. She likes carpet, I dislike all the sand that manages to bed itself deep with each kid/dog/boarding.

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 102
Ooh! Very nice.

Wait.....do I know that marina? But concrete floats, maybe not.

I did some dinette cushions last winter and just starting my flybridge cushions.

Just go with cheap carpet, remnants will do as long as the color is what the Admiral wants. Let them get slowly ruined and then pull them out and replace with more cheap carpet. Always use the old piece for a pattern. Do not glue or fasten the carpet down.

pete

We reupholstered our dinette cushions a couple of years ago. Last year we replaced the laminate counters with Corian counters. Love the new counters.

Attachments

• 3DCB1977-1853-4A6A-88A8-D7FEE654C357.jpg
    3DCB1977-1853-4A6A-88A8-D7FEE654C357.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 9A86497D-7D31-4177-8A57-3A8A3DE47987.jpg
    9A86497D-7D31-4177-8A57-3A8A3DE47987.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 85
  • D12EF164-43C8-4E8F-A97D-A0D06B364CBD.jpg
    D12EF164-43C8-4E8F-A97D-A0D06B364CBD.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 083AD190-28F8-483B-AD39-4DF2EB7B1556.jpg
    083AD190-28F8-483B-AD39-4DF2EB7B1556.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 85
  • C0623993-C53C-489A-8587-537A3EA542BF.jpg
    C0623993-C53C-489A-8587-537A3EA542BF.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 89
I just did the same, new cushions. And I replaced all my interior sole coverings with the same synthetic deck material I used for the outside of the boat. My cockpit sole continues into the saloon so it is one continuous run.

Subway tile on a boat???

Yes. The backsplash has a warp to it, in other words it follows the curve of the hull. The original backsplash was formica laminate and was getting long in the tooth. I needed something that would follow the curve both ways. These are vinyl with PSA backing. They would bend to follow the compound curve. We really like them. You don’t, ok that is fine with me.

Yes. The backsplash has a warp to it, in other words it follows the curve of the hull. The original backsplash was formica laminate and was getting long in the tooth. I needed something that would follow the curve both ways. These are vinyl with PSA backing. They would bend to follow the compound curve. We really like them. You don’t, ok that is fine with me.

Looks pretty nice to me.

We reupholstered our dinette cushions a couple of years ago. Last year we replaced the laminate counters with Corian counters. Love the new counters.

Very nice!

Still on the fence on what we are going to do with the carpet. I would like to replace all of it with holly/teak. But the cost is high and my craftsmanship is not all that great with wood work. She likes carpet, I dislike all the sand that manages to bed itself deep with each kid/dog/boarding.

When I purchased my Willard 36 twenty-plus years ago, it had bright blue deep pile carpeting (okay, almost shag). I found teak parquet unfinished squares for about $10/sf and purchased some teak for trim around the hatches. It was quite a bit of work due to non-square corners and hatches. Of the 100 or so pieces, I think only 4-5 went in without trimming or cutting. Probably had about 30-40 hours into the project when I was done, including sanding and finishing. Like Comodave, I also remodeled the countertops with Corian, which I too did myself and was pretty happy with the results. Got rid of harvest gold Formica. Also a 40-hour project.

Still looks good. Would do it again in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact, after 20-years, I am re-doing much of it to reconfigure slightly. Salon looking forward (4).jpg

We totally rebuilt a 37' Skyline trawler over about 12 years. The gally counter top was one project. I chose to do it in granite . The photos are

1. Before, 2. Undermount sink, 3. Fabricating at home, 4. Done

I used 3/4" granite from a clearence center. Since I am in the flooring busuness I had a lot of the tools for cutting granite but did have to buy the shaping (edge) and polishing tools. I also bought a water cooled grinder on eBay I am still using.

It is my belief that it could be done by anyone who is comfortable with woodwork. Happy to offer advise to anyone so inclined.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0399 copy.jpg
    IMG_0399 copy.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 76
comodave-

I love um, where did you purchase?

Thanks!

It is difficult to find a source that will sell solid surface materials to a DIY. However solidsurface.com does. They have lots of choices to choose from and also have directions on how to fabricate with it. It is pretty simple to do. I made a template out of luan plywood. Then transferred it to 1/4” plywood to use as a template to route the corian with. Use a template bit in the router. Then standby for all the debris coming off the router bit. Have a shop vac handy.

Thank you sir!

Best-

I think it looks great, Dave! I just put those up at the dirt house.

So back to the carpet, any good looking vinyl teak/holley out there?

33' Egg Harbor, think kids/dogs/crabs/sand/mud/dirt/salt, need something easy on the eyes and easy to clean !

Got the new white curtains done and up!
Also got a helper on the new seat fabric.

Attachments

• egg13.jpg
    egg13.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 41
  • egg14.jpg
    egg14.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 37
  • egg16.jpg
    egg16.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 87
We have a boat helper too. Radar the black Lab.

Attachments

• F97804B0-0ED5-48DB-B15C-7F8BD72C14DE.jpg
    F97804B0-0ED5-48DB-B15C-7F8BD72C14DE.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 37
Greetings,
Thread drift alert! Mr. C. I see Mr. Radar is a food inhaler. We had a dinner dish similar to yours when we had a hound. Make 'em work for the reward. Hahahaha....

Back to interiors...

We have a boat helper too. Radar the black Lab.

Nice, We use the same food dish for the Healer.
Always good to have an extra set of paws around to help hold things in line.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom