View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #15
Olebird

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Depends! A few years back, a tornado came down the lake and took out several of the older marinas. Alred's rebuilt with all metal. Unfortunately Jackson County was untouched and dated back to the 50 or 60's. Guntersville City Marina was moved from down town (and a real fire trap) to the south side of Big Spring Creek and expanded. I think it was rebuilt with steel - not sure. At least Guntersville FD has a good sized Fire Boat with a Pump & Water Cannon.

Brown's Creek Marina - scares me just to drive by. Same as Jackson County.

The real problem is lack of codes and enforcement. This may force some changes. Many marinas are out in the county where there are few if any applicable Fire and Life Safety codes. TVA is so strapped for money by the Feds - they don't do much of anything these days.

For transients, short term I think you can over night at the old down town marina site - no services, but close to downtown - walking distance to a couple of good restaurants - and the usual "plastic" mystery meat joints.

Alred's longer stays and for services - just watch the channel depth. They also have a mobile lift, and nice facilities.

Don't know much about Guntersville City - haven't been over there in years.

The State Park has a few transient slips (call ahead) with services - shuttle up to the lodge on top of the mountain - decent restaurant - just remember it's a State Park.

Those of us who came back home after careers in the real world - are dragging Alabama kicking and screaming into the 1970's - politics - don't get me started!

PS. Orange Beach & Huntsville - are not really in Alabama!! Ditto Landing (just below the Dam) had a big expansion budget - not sure where that project is.

Thanks for asking.
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote