View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #15
Kona Guy

City: vincent
Hey Zebra.... That's pretty cool you got to check the boat out! We are very happy with it and feel like we pretty much hit a home run for the money we spent. And, you are right about the folks at Captains Choice. First class all the way. We really started figuring out how small the boating world is when found out the owner attends a riverboat festival in our home town of Marietta Ohio each year. Also, one of the brokers is from there too. Small world!
Pete.... Yes, we did fix the raw water impeller ourselves. I was able to diagnose the problem on our second day at Aberdeen Marina. We figured we would be to Bobby's Fish Camp in three days, so I had Amazon deliver a few things to us there. We actually got there a day early as we picked up a huge current push after leaving Demopolis and made just short of 100 miles that day. We ended up staying there for two full days working on the boat and watching The Ohio State University put the smack down on xichigan! We loved the place! We met some really cool people and had some scrumptious southern cooking. It was also there where we finally changed the name on the boat. Although we had officially changed the name on our documentation application, we just hadn't got around to changing the name on the transom. I believe we got most of the tradition correct when we raised glasses of our finest rum to the new "Island Rush". I gotta explain where that name came from because I know you are wondering. Our seasonal business at home is Kona Ice. We are part of a 1300 strong franchise system that sells shaved ice from a mobile platform. We operate 6 units all over SE Ohio and parts of West Virginia. Island Rush is the name of of signature flavor, so it references our business, yet it's still appropriate for a boat. Or at least we think so! Here is where our Appalachian foothill redneck roots start showing... I knew we were supposed to have the name and hailing port on the transom that matched our provisional documents. The ONLY thing that was available was sticky back Walmart shelf paper and a sharpie. It's not very attractive, but it made us legal and got us through the trip! Once we left Bobby's, it seemed like no time at all until we were pulling into Mobile bay. What a change of scenery that was!!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200123-230936.jpg   Screenshot_20200123-231002.jpg  
Kona Guy is offline   Reply With Quote