Size....not that it matters....of boats of course.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is the size of your largest boat. If you don't own one today, your most recent b

• Under 20'

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • 21-25'

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 26-30'

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • 31-35'

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • 36-40'

Votes: 57 22.6%
  • 41-45'

Votes: 59 23.4%
  • 46-50'

Votes: 38 15.1%
  • 51-60'

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • 61-70'

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Over 70'

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: This is a poll caused by another thread on the size of forum member boats. I'm making it simple for those with more than one boat, it's about the size of your largest currently owned boat or if you have no boat today but did have one, it's size. I don't care about the type boat. :)

Answer based on LOA.

Last edited:
38 feet LOA / 33.5 waterline. Well, according to the builder. But that's 38 feet hull length before bolting on the bow pulpit and swim platform. Real LOA is in the 42 - 43 foot range.

47 and 54 tip to tail, bowsprit to swim step.

41' + swimstep + SeaWise davit/Bullfrog for 44'

+ 8' Achilles, 10' sailing dink, 13' Folboat kayak

Last edited:
53' but based on previous other over-measurements my wife thinks its about 85'! :D

And the point is.... ?

Ours= 60' 10" LOA.. 56' LOD so what do I answer? Beam matters too.... 18'2" in our case

Current 83', smallest past pleasure boat 65'.

Looks like most have a bigger boat than I (35 feet). Not jealous, really. Mine sleeps two (but has five berths), entertains six, cruising inland waters, and using ships for open-sea travel.

Last edited:
Then my vote should be changed from 60 to 61? again, I don't see the point of the poll. If you are trying to determine size, then beam and height make a big difference, as does displacement.

25', as can be seen in my avatar. The DuNORD is our first "power boat" following 60 years of sailing. I have a friend who likes to call her a "mini trawler". Built in Sweden, I prefer "Scandinavian-style Motor Cruiser".

I’ve been going with the 44’ that was advertised. I haven’t measured for myself. No idea if that includes the dink or not [emoji848]

I should probably check that...

If you add on the pulpit and dinghy on davits we're at least 42 ft. I put the 36 ft hull length in the poll.

Wifey B: Answer LOA, the legal definition for documentation and registration. :)

Does LOA have a universally understood meaning? I understand it to mean from the tip of the bow sprit to the back of the stern, including any attached overhangs like a swim platform. This is the definition most commonly used (IME) by west coast marinas (including those in Canada and Mexico) for purposes of calculating slip rent (and it's typically the greater of slip size or LOA). But I have seen some others define it as length of hull only. In that regard, my boat is documented as 64.5 feet, even though the marina measurement system is 68 feet. I think the difference is my bow pulpit, which is about 3.5 feet; there is a swim platform, but it is integral to the hull.
In my case, it is a moot question, as I fit in the same length category either way, but it could make a difference for others (and I would like to know what the correct definition is).

Documentation shows 32.2 , and I have never measured it but would guess 36' give or take a little.

Bayliner 4788 53’ LOA

47’ LOD Length On Deck.

The poll is a lot as I think would have been expected with 38% from 31 to 40', 34% from 41 to 50' and 16% from 51 to 60'. About 6% both below and above.

Now I feel very inadequate! However I will ask the captain to be certain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom