Goodbye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same applies to french and french from Quebec, believe me I know what I am talking about lol :)

L

I immediately thought of Chretien. LOL. And not in a bad way. My group was golfing at Harvest when his contingent was there and several holes the tee and other green were nearby. So we watch him miss hit and it dribbles off tee. He goes to pick it up and we yell over you have to play it where it lies. He says back Yea I know but the pro says it is a mulligan.

“Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.” NOT! -

see Battery Cable Butt Connectors #13

He's back... handsome as ever!

Catch a fish.

Read some Hemingway.
Catch another fish.
Thoreau is good.

Moderators are invited to help out with running the forum based on their history of reasonable postings.

My invite must have been lost in the interwebs somewhere then! :D

Mr. X,

If you’re like me, the forum is much more fun than the monotony of today’s news (regardless of your politics).

I admit, I don’t post much either, but I find reading everyone’s thoughts beneficial and somewhat compulsive to my day.

Who doesn’t like talking or reading about boats? :))

Feed the addiction, and be the old salt. :)

And, thank you to all who have helped shaped my knowledge base over the last several years!!!

I have always enjoyed your posts in the past. Too bad you decided to just quit. When you were a kid, did you ever take your ball and go home when you were loosing?

Honestly, I do not wish to offend you, but your response does not sound very mature to me.

You could always start another blog with different rules. More of a "Saturday night Live" or "Onion" approach.

pete

I think it more of getting out of your chair and leaving a dock conversation between a bunch of newbies arguing about some tidbit they have limited experience with.

When your experience and advice are lost in the blur, what's wrong with walking away?...for a few minutes or forever and finding a new place to share your experiences?...or place your energies?

Sounds like so many real experiences I have had...both as the guy, the guy's friend or the newbie still in the argument.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the George Carland's "7 dirt words." Look it up on YouTube.

I have always enjoyed your posts in the past. Too bad you decided to just quit. When you were a kid, did you ever take your ball and go home when you were loosing?

Honestly, I do not wish to offend you, but your response does not sound very mature to me.

You could always start another blog with different rules. More of a "Saturday night Live" or "Onion" approach.

pete

A grab for attention that perhaps started as he hoped but has not turned out at all as he wished?

As to moderators, I first had my own forum at the age of 14 and moderation of what should have been a simple forum on web hosting quickly became difficult. Then finding those to moderate 24 hours. I've moderated twice since then and had enough quickly both times. Let's describe the job. For free, no pay, you'll take a job dealing with immature and belligerent children and greatly limiting your own participation and then when you make decisions, you'll be attacked with venom and hatred. For anyone who doesn't think that's what moderators face, you just haven't done it. It's all forums too. One of the most difficult was one devoted to a specific illness and constantly people would try to post misinformation, even suggesting illegal and extremely dangerous treatments. I don't know any moderators who would do the job as a paying job, for money. They do it only to try to make a forum better. The most common mistake I made and all moderators make is not in removing or censoring, it's in allowing something to go on too long or go too far. I can't tell you how many times one tries to insert a post to calm things down and get them back on track without other action and somehow that most innocent and diplomatic post only incites the war taking place.

.....Basically the folks on your moderation team are your fellow boaters, and should be applauded for the free labor hours that put into keeping this forum as good as it is.
I could not agree more. Thanks to all who devote time and effort to this site. IMO it is one of the most enjoyable and informative sites on the web. I'm sure moderating is just as BandB described -- a mostly thankless job -- but a critical one to keeping a site as useful, informative and at the same time entertaining as this site always is.

Xsbank,
Goodby my friend (hopefully) and hurry back.

TF is now a bit dull anyway. I get more boating fun on FB now. Design talk, building talk and pics of all kinds a boat stuff all over da world. Even some people you may know.

However TF is more like family but there are times when one needs to get away from them too. Not likely but I hope I bump into you some day in Canada. We usually take a run (car) up Vancouver Is but haven’t done it this year ... yet.

Let's describe the job. For free, no pay, you'll take a job dealing with immature and belligerent children and greatly limiting your own participation and then when you make decisions, you'll be attacked with venom and hatred.
This... OMG sooooo much this!!! As an ex-mod here, I can tell you that there is so much behind the scenes... you can't even imagine.

Xsbank, Take care--I liked reading your posts--you will be missed. JohnP

I think the mods generally do a good job here. If there is an Achilles heal, it’s with managing the personalities that have been here the longest and loudest. Those who contribute the most can sometimes be the ones most capable of doing the most damage to the forums as well. Not an easy problem to manage. Unmanaged forums though, pretty much just fail, so the fact this place exists at all is proof of its value.

I’ve come and gone a few times. I’ve left this and other sites for months and sometimes years at a time. I don’t think any of us will leave a hole in the forum any more than you can leave a hole in the water. Likewise, the forum is not going to leave a hole in your life either.

Go focus on other things for awhile. Being on the water for me is a great way to focus on my own independence and the things that matter most. If you miss the interaction, come back. Social media is not something any of us should be dependent upon. If for any reason it causes more frustration than joy, remove it. Fear not, the world won’t end either way.

:flowers:Menzies, Over time we, you and I, have disagreed with several of positions on various issues off topic, yet, given the opportunity I am sure in a face to face within the boating world we would remain civil.

As with XsBank, we all have had issues with differences from or with the modarators. Personal frustrations abound with similar reactions.

I chose to remain on the forum following the discontinuance of the ODE opportunity. I allowed that section to be come the focus where boating subjects was the basis for originally joining. It meant re-calibrating what the forum meant to me. In that vain, I overlook subject matter that is foreign to boating. As an example, I now view you Menzies, as a fellow boater, not as one whom to disagree with. I have found to my satisfaction, and at my advanced age, overlooking "Kerfuffles" as the current favorite discriptive word has made my attendance and attentive to the forum with a calmer attitude.

It would be my hope that XsBank will continue to 'lurk' for a time that would allow him perhaps, to mellow into a similar mentality where boating subjects he were to offer or comment on were in a methology that encourages again interacting with forum members.

Come back X-

Respecfully

Al-Ketchikan

[emoji106]Al.

It’s way more productive, creates better karma, and is just way more fun to focus on the things we have in common rather than what’s different.

This thread has brought out into view what normally just fades away. Members that just leave and stop posting for the same reasons as presented. Out of sight, out of mind.
Many like myself are expressing a sad goodbye to a poster that has an opinion worth reading whether we agree or not.
Now it seems that those responsible for this departure are exercising their right to support their actions in herding the member they do not agree with to the door.
Several condescending replies that the moderators should be censoring. XSbank is showing excellent restraint.
As stated it is a job done for free and at times allowed to continue well beyond the expiry date.

Quote;Let's describe the job. For free, no pay, you'll take a job dealing with immature and belligerent children and greatly limiting your own participation and then when you make decisions, you'll be attacked with venom and hatred.

I resemble that remark!!!! :rofl: Mind my pea's and Q's now. Fingers still sting from the lesson of the "Rulers".:angel:

Al-Ketchikan:hide:

Many thanks to all former and current moderators.

This thread has brought out into view what normally just fades away. Members that just leave and stop posting for the same reasons as presented. Out of sight, out of mind.
Many like myself are expressing a sad goodbye to a poster that has an opinion worth reading whether we agree or not.
Now it seems that those responsible for this departure are exercising their right to support their actions in herding the member they do not agree with to the door.
Several condescending replies that the moderators should be censoring. XSbank is showing excellent restraint.
As stated it is a job done for free and at times allowed to continue well beyond the expiry date.

I sure hope mine come didn't off that way. If it did, I apologize.

I've enjoyed XSbank's postings (which I always remembered because of his clever avatar!). I'm sorry he's feels he needs a break, but I understand that, myself. I ebb and flow here as well.

But, I don't know of anyone here (or at least I can't think of any) I would not want to sit and have a beer with. I figure just liking boats at all, makes me have more in common with the people here, than I have with 99 per cent of the rest of the world. :)

Well, I’m sorry to see you’re going, Xbank, but wherever you go, you’ll likely find people who are occasionally “inspired” or “provoked” by your posts. Either is food for thought, and at best, are only an attitude away from each other.

So a question for the two of you (left a forum for a while then went back).

Did the forum change or did you change?

In my case it was some of both, but mostly the forum.

Said forum created a sub-forum that dealt specifically with my niche segment of the hobby. It was a sub-forum that several members of the forum (including myself) had asked for.

I was very excited with the creation of the sub-forum. I made one of the earliest posts on the sub-forum (with pictures) only to have my post be deleted by the forum moderator. I didn't break any of the posted forum rules. When I asked why my post was deleted, I was told that my way of enjoying the hobby was not what he had in mind for this sub-forum. I was livid to be told that I wasn't doing it 'right'!

I was very cordial, but I left a post why I was leaving the forum and I did received several supporting posts from other forum members.

I did leave that forum for about 6 months, although I still enjoyed the hobby.

Interestingly, during my absence, posts to the sub-forum, like my initial one, became 'acceptable' on this sub-forum. Also, my initial anger at the moderator subsided, and I started to read, and post, on that forum again.

Jim

Last edited:
I get bored with this forum from time to time, and I imagine others do as well.
I just don't go into the threads, or if answers are already giving MY opinion, I choose to stay out.
I know sometimes others totally disagree, but so what? That's life. If they want to do it wrong so be it.
Only kidding on that.:facepalm:

SMILE
Sometimes I too get bored with various forums. Some people just like to beat a dead horse. So I unsubscribe to them quietly.
I always "like" the forums that begin with "What should I buy....." The responses are usually based on opinions, not facts. They dont remain on my subscribe list long.

My invite must have been lost in the interwebs somewhere then! :D
Seeing as they`ve been kicking your butt you might not be 1st choice:). On the other hand you`d have good experience of transgression,which helps:). How about offering yourself to the Site Team?

Time flies!

I got here a year later and it feels like I just got here.

XSBank, I hope you stick around as I have enjoyed your posts.

And for those who care, I have an early join date and a low post count -- call me a lurker if you will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom